Gaming Graphic and Gaming Graphics went down?

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I noticed that my "graphic" is 2.0 and "gaming graphics" is 2.3 but the "graphic" was 3.1 and "gaming graphics" was 3.4 before I updated to see it somehow went down. This kind of explains the lag I have been getting when playing some video games...but I don't really know what I should do to fix it. One of the most foolish thing I found out was that I uninstalled Microsoft directX but I got that back... However, I don't understand how you can lose graphics. Is there anyone here that is a computer wiz that may have a solution as to how a computer would lose graphics?
Thanks,
Kevin

P.S. I never changed any of the stuff in its hard drive, so I am thinking it is a program I must've uninstalled that cause a decrease in the computer's graphic/performance T.T

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm gonna go ahead and guess you are talking about the windows vista (or 7) experience index. The reason your score on this went down has nothing to do with your computer, but rather with the increase in system requirements for the latest software. The index has a set max value (6 for vista?) and because something that can obtain the max value today won't be able to run the newest games 5 years from now at full speed, the index increases its requirements for each score every so often. Your stuff is just as powerful, just not relative to the latest games

Edit: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=166...t&p=2117927

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You got to give more details
smile.gif

It prolly makes a lot of sense in your head what you typed but you are missing some key elements.

OS
RAM
HD
List videocard drivers revision and videocard as well.

And typicle stuff like do you defrag your harddrive.

1st thing i would do is run DXdiag from the run window (start->run->DXdiag) .

More relevant data easier for us to help you
smile.gif

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok, update, I think I might've changed stuff in the computers HD without knowing -.-,
But I definately know the graphics did go lower b/c games I use to be able to play, are not running as smoothly as the once did T.T

OS= Windows Vista (Or 32 - bit operating system)
Ram= 2.5GB

HD(Processor?)= AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.80GHz

And Videocard driver I think is Nvidia Geforce 7000M (which i think is the problem because I ran Driver Detective) and it says mine is way outdated)

Like the outdated drivers=

Display adapters:
NVIDIA GeForce 7000M/ nForce 610M

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
Ricoh xD/Picture Card Controller

Network Adapters:
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Sound, video and game controllers:
High Definition Audio Device

System Device:
NVIDIA nForce PCI Systen Management
NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
kevenka said:
And Videocard driver I think is Nvidia Geforce 7000M (which i think is the problem because I ran Driver Detective) and it says mine is way outdated)

There's your problem. The Nvidia Geforce 7000M is a built in graphics card which means it isn't good for gaming. That chipset usually comes with a laptop also which I assume you are running. Laptops are pretty useless for modern graphic intensive games.

You can't exactly uninstall directx either, you can only update it. Are you sure it wasn't something else like your graphic card driver?

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suppose but my laptop somehow lost some graphic power? Like, I use to be able to run warcraft III/WoW/Elder Scrolls with relative ease but now, its a bit laggy.
And thanks for all the reply! I am truly grateful that you are trying =]
(It could be my graphic card driver, but then how would I resolve that?)

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kevenka said:
I suppose but my laptop somehow lost some graphic power? Like, I use to be able to run warcraft III/WoW/Elder Scrolls with relative ease but now, its a bit laggy.

i've heard of cases with certain cards where you can allocate ram to your graphics card on a laptop from your ram and vice versa. do you remember how much ram your graphics card before this happened?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
kevenka said:

Update your drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, I suppose but it was a 3.1 when I first got the laptop and now it's less... so I am not quite sure if it is completely b/c of the outdated driver...Can a graphic card overheat and be damaged?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it was overheating you would know about it. It'd start crashing windows and you'd see weird artifacts on the screen.

Edit:
Another thought just crossed my mind, but this is just a guess. Something like a service pack could have updated the scoring system to reflect newer hardware. As your laptop isn't getting any newer it is now lower in comparision to newer hardware. Just a thought, dunno if windows actually does that.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
Edit:
Another thought just crossed my mind, but this is just a guess. Something like a service pack could have updated the scoring system to reflect newer hardware. As your laptop isn't getting any newer it is now lower in comparision to newer hardware. Just a thought, dunno if windows actually does that.
well it turns out I was wrong
QUOTE(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/help/f59082f4-6385-4a61-ba7e-2de9625a780a1033.mspx)The base scores currently range from 1 to 5.9. The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be introduced. However, the standards for each level of the index stay the same. For example, a computer scored as a 2.8 will remain a 2.8 unless you decide to upgrade the computer's hardware.
So another vote for updating your graphics card driver

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
kevenka said:

There's your problem. The Nvidia Geforce 7000M is a built in graphics card which means it isn't good for gaming. That chipset usually comes with a laptop also which I assume you are running. Laptops are pretty useless for modern graphic intensive games.

You can't exactly uninstall directx either, you can only update it. Are you sure it wasn't something else like your graphic card driver?

a little offtopic but that is completely wrong. i have yet to find a game that my laptop can't run, and i can run most of em on high (except for the few mess ups like crysis and gta iv). and it's an $900 hp one.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
If it was overheating you would know about it. It'd start crashing windows and you'd see weird artifacts on the screen.

Edit:

Interesting...that has happened... several times actually. (The crashing windows and I did see some wierd colors that glitch up the screen. Is that what you meant by "artifacts"?) Also, does that mean a graphics card can overheat and get damaged? If so, that is what happened...because I used to leave my computer on for 13 days straight... T.T

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yup the weird colours or even just garble on the screen could be from overheating or a damaged card. It depends if it happens continuously or not.

Try and keep the vents clear on your laptop. Your cmos (which can be accessed during boot up) may have an option for better cooling performance at the expense of more noise. You should check and see.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, if my graphics card is damaged, I'll probably need to buy a new one right? And then consider investing in a cooling device? Sorry if I am sounding very unsure and noobish, but I am not very good with computers as you guys can tell xD
I am just trying to find the answer...So I am only able to guess that the graphics card got fried because of what I did (leaving it on too excessively, but am not sure)
Thanks for all the helpful responses and please continue to help if you can,
Thanks again,
Kevin
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A