• it depends...(see my comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Michael R. Bloomberg is a former Wall Street mogul with a passion for the rights of a private property owner. He is a Jew whose parents asked their Christian lawyer to buy a house and then sell it back to them to hide their identity in an unwelcoming Massachusetts suburb. And he is a politician who regards his independence as his greatest virtue.

That potent combination of beliefs and history, those closest to Mayor Bloomberg say, has fueled his defense of the proposed Muslim community center in Lower Manhattan — a defense he has mounted with emotion, with strikingly strong language and in the face of polls suggesting that most New Yorkers disagree with him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/13/nyregion/13bloomberg.html

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know how much real estate costs in NYC? A fuck-ton.

If the locals don't want it built there, they should start a fund to purchase a lot elsewhere. The affiliated Muslims shouldn't be the ones to have to spend the immense and unnecessary amount of time, effort, and money to scout out a new location. If you don't put action behind your words, they're worth nothing.

That being said, this is really a non-story. It's an easy topic for people to pick sides to hate and discuss, because as we all know the last thing the average person wants to do is think. It has no effect on the well-being of our nation, or the world as a whole, as both continue to face real problems with far more dire consequences.

The news hype-machine at work. Stay ignorant, America.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After reading a bit more about this on Serebii (of all places), I found out there actually used to be a mosque there, which was destroyed in the attacks, too. You can't beat the fact that the muslims have every right to build a new one.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave said:
liquidnumb said:
Do you think it shouldn't be there?

As I said before I find it morally objectionable.

Pretty much too bad. Equal protection under the law for everyone is a fundamental of the US Constitution. I find the WBC morally reprehensible, but I wouldn't try to take away their right to protest.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
0ddity said:
TrolleyDave said:
liquidnumb said:

Pretty much too bad. Equal protection under the law for everyone is a fundamental of the US Constitution. I find the WBC morally reprehensible, but I wouldn't try to take away their right to protest.

And I wouldn't try to take away their right to build to the Mosque, but at the same time I will object to it. That's one of the joys of living in (reasonably) democratic secular societies. We are free to voice our disapproval.

chiseen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The funny thing is: there has been a mosque 4 blocks away from ground zero for a while now. If people who oppose the mosque, yet support religious freedom in general want the mosque to be built somewhere else, the only question I have for them is this. Exactly how far is acceptable? Where do we draw the line between to too close and far enough?

IMO this should be a non-issue. If you can build it, then build it.

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave said:
0ddity said:
TrolleyDave said:
liquidnumb said:

And I wouldn't try to take away their right to build to the Mosque, but at the same time I will object to it. That's one of the joys of living in (reasonably) democratic secular societies. We are free to voice our disapproval.

Maybe you wouldn't, but many others would, and are trying to. That's the problem.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
0ddity said:
Maybe you wouldn't, but many others would, and are trying to. That's the problem.

I agree, you can't have freedom unless you're willing to see and hear things that anger or repulse you. It should still never stop people raising a voice against those things though. Forcibly stop them, no. Appeal to them through protest in the hopes of changing their view or what they do, yes absolutely. Although there are rare times people should be forcibly stopped obviously.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jgu1994 said:
QUOTE said:
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

I'll just leave this here...
QFT.

This is a perfect example of how INCREDIBLY STUPID the people of America are. We destroy, and ignore the evidence. The few extremists that attack US are suddenly put in the spotlight as fucking examples of Islam, even though they are CLEARLY not. There is something wrong with the media, and I am getting really pissed about it.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
jgu1994 said:
QUOTE said:
In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003.

QFT.

This is a perfect example of how INCREDIBLY STUPID the people of America are. We destroy, and ignore the evidence. The few extremists that attack US are suddenly put in the spotlight as fucking examples of Islam, even though they are CLEARLY not. There is something wrong with the media, and I am getting really pissed about it.

It's called capitalism. Ratings means money, and nothing gets more ratings than stretching truths to blame a group of people.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
My father has came up with a beautiful argument on this topic as it was discussed today at the dinner. Americans claim to be a country of freedom while in reality they refused to let this thing happen. If a church was to be built here instead of a mosque it would not be fought against, but because it is associated with Islam it was frowned upon. If you want to say this is a holy war against Islam then come out and say it, because that's what they are doing right now by taking away right to own this religious property. This is a war against terrorism not Islam. If a bunch of people of certain ethnicity killed thousands of people in New York are you saying that other people of their ethnicity has to have their ethnic freedom taken away? "No, black people you cannot build a community centre here because we are afraid of you." I hope America is a little more liberal than that.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Slyakin said:
jgu1994 said:
QUOTE said:

QFT.

It's called capitalism. Ratings means money, and nothing gets more ratings than stretching truths to blame a group of people.
You are so true, and that is what pisses me off to no end. At least there are SOME people that agree with me. My whole class has even started to think of me differently now because of this. The bullying is also getting out of control.

The only thing that cheers me up is your avatar.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I only drank alcohol once and it was by accident
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt know it was beer, it was on a juice bottle
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yeah, I'm addicted to smoking, sadly. It's very addictive but I wish I didn't start.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    May just order a 5700g for a nas/emulation set up tbh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast you were asleep on 4/20
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, you played that Mario flash game called Mario 63?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No, but I've seen it on Vinesauce's stream.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that game is one of the reasons i met newgrounds bc the full versión of it is in that site
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Also somebody is remaking it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds +1