Emulation Guide to dumping GBA Games using ONLY a SLOT-1 card (and retail cart)

sturmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
After looking for a long time for a way to dump my retail GBA carts to my SLOT-1 flashcard (Neoflash R6 Gold), I found this. This is a little mini-guide to get it working.

1. DLDI patch GBA_Backup_Tool.nds
2. Open GBA_Backup_Tool.ini
It should look like this:
QUOTE said:
# GBA_Backup_Tool.ini

FileDir /GBA_Backup ! Directory

SaveFile 0 ! 0:auto, nnn:Save File Size(KB)

RomSize 0 ! 0:auto, nn:Rom Backup Size(MB)

#Trim ! Use Trim
The comments should explain everything. I believe you uncomment "Trim" to activate it. NOTE: Create the folder before you run it. It doesn't create its own folders.
3. Run from your SLOT-1 device.
4. It should prompt you to put in your SLOT-2 cart for dumping. This is the part where you put in your retail cartridge.
5. You should be presented with some info and a box at the bottom.
-This first box is for backing up your saves.
--(A) will overwrite the file highlighted on the top screen with the data from the save section of your cart.
--(B) will write the save to a new file. The name is not changeable… it's just how it is. Multiple saves for the same game are possible, the numbers just increase.
--(X) will allow you to put a new cart in.
--® will go to the next screen.
-This second one is for restoring saves to a cartridge.
--Pay attention to what file is highlighted!
--(B) will initiate the save section of the cart. Run this first.
--(A) will write the highlighted save.
--(L) will go back to the save copy screen.
-This third is for the actual game's ROM.
--(A) will overwrite the highlighted file with the data from the ROM. Not sure why you would need this… bad dump or something, I guess.
--(B) will write a new file with the same naming convention as the saves. This is what you want to obtain a playable ROM.

I hope this helps people. Next, I will work on a guide to dump DS games (and saves) with only a SLOT-1 card and a Mac with an AirPort Extreme card. For the adventurous, start here.

methodone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can this dump the save from all GBA games? eg games with EEPROM or with large (1mbit) flash? (i'm thinking some pokemon games here, tried using other tools to backup their saves, but didnt work right)

sturmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
methodone said:
Can this dump the save from all GBA games? eg games with EEPROM or with large (1mbit) flash? (i'm thinking some pokemon games here, tried using other tools to backup their saves, but didnt work right)
I believe so. I can dump my Pokemon Ruby saves fine.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This doesn't dump Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga... the save isn't recognised
frown.gif

Dedale

Trophies
Website
my.opera.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's excellent !
It's exactly what I was looking for. I found the one for DS games first on google.

I tried with Wario Land 4. It works perfectly, I can switch with the .sav on my EZ IV without any problem.

Thanks
happy.gif

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be interested to try this out. I have simply started from "scratch" on most of my save files, because I didn't know how to do this. Thanks for the info!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/06/business/samsung-first-strike-chips.html Ah shit no s25