Harvest Moon: Skytree Village trailer

Natsume has put out a gameplay trailer for its latest Harvest Moon title, subtitled Skytree Village. The trailer explains some of the characters and gameplay mechanics that the game will have, such as fishing, terraforming, taking care of animals, and farming. Harvest Moon: Skytree Village is set to launch November 8th of this year for Nintendo 3DS. As a reminder, Natsume holds the license for the Harvest Moon franchise name, while Story of Seasons, made by Marverlous AQL, is the continuation of the Bokujō Monogatari series that originated on the Super Nintendo in 1996.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've never played a Harvest Moon game before, this is not the game you want to start with and base your impressions of the series on.

Natsume, the developer of this "Harvest Moon" game, is the North American license holder for the franchise name "Harvest Moon". They are not the original, primary developer of the franchise. Due to their recent scuffle with the original developer, Marvelous, Natsume is using the brand to make and release their own awful games in North America (and Europe?). Marvelous can't do anything about it because of foreign copyright laws.

So what now? The original franchise name is "Bokujou Monogatari". Marvelous has entrusted their future Bokujou Monogatari games with a different localization company "XSEED", who in my opinion are better than Natsume because Natsume frequently leaves bugs and translation errors in their games. The Bokujou Monogatari series is now "Story of Seasons". All future Marvelous-made games will be under the title "Story of Seasons" and Natsume's shitty wannabe games are "Harvest Moon".

To me, a long-time fan, it's really distressing to see this confusion over a long-loved franchise and it's name. All we, the fans, can do now is lead returning and prospective players to "Story of Seasons" so that they can play the quality farming games the series was truly known for.

Of course, you can play the Natsume Harvest Moon games anyway. They're not as original as the Marvelous games, but if Farmville can entertain, so can those.
Nice little history lesson for those of us uninitiated.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
If you've never played a Harvest Moon game before, this is not the game you want to start with and base your impressions of the series on.

Natsume, the developer of this "Harvest Moon" game, is the North American license holder for the franchise name "Harvest Moon". They are not the original, primary developer of the franchise. Due to their recent scuffle with the original developer, Marvelous, Natsume is using the brand to make and release their own awful games in North America (and Europe?). Marvelous can't do anything about it because of foreign copyright laws.

So what now? The original franchise name is "Bokujou Monogatari". Marvelous has entrusted their future Bokujou Monogatari games with a different localization company "XSEED", who in my opinion are better than Natsume because Natsume frequently leaves bugs and translation errors in their games. The Bokujou Monogatari series is now "Story of Seasons". All future Marvelous-made games will be under the title "Story of Seasons" and Natsume's shitty wannabe games are "Harvest Moon".

To me, a long-time fan, it's really distressing to see this confusion over a long-loved franchise and it's name. All we, the fans, can do now is lead returning and prospective players to "Story of Seasons" so that they can play the quality farming games the series was truly known for.

Of course, you can play the Natsume Harvest Moon games anyway. They're not as original as the Marvelous games, but if Farmville can entertain, so can those.

Yeah, all of this start when Marvelous brought Xseed. It already happen when Rune Factory 4 being localized by Xseed because all Rune Factory game had an extra title "the Fantasy Harvest Moon" and Rune Factory 4 doesn't have it. Thing only expose to light when the next Harvest Moon was announce and the title change to Story of Season and everyone go "what!?". Then Natsume threw out "Harvest Moon: Lost Valley", the very same name they used to call "Story of Season" before Xseed was forced to change it . Many fan perceive that is a dirty move of Natsume to confuse the fan and take over the franchise so most of the fanbase hate Natsume from then.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna buy it when it comes out it looks like it will be fun its not like the 1st harvest moon that come out for the gamecube but its better then the other ones the come out after that so its gonna be kinda good.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm gonna buy it when it comes out it looks like it will be fun its not like the 1st harvest moon that come out for the gamecube but its better then the other ones the come out after that so its gonna be kinda good.
as a fan of HM I think you should read these post answer , even more the Pluupy's post
but well doing made in this " bad way" don't mena the game gonna be bad , if I geta time for it I may try too

Reactions: leerpsp

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as a fan of HM I think you should read these post answer , even more the Pluupy's post
but well doing made in this " bad way" don't mena the game gonna be bad , if I geta time for it I may try too

Natsume makes the harvest moon a wonderful life it says that on the desk anyways so there must be one's iv not played so looks like i'm gonna be doing some downloading tonight and see what i can come up with. thanks for the info Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Natsume makes the harvest moon a wonderful life it says that on the desk anyways so there must be one's iv not played so looks like i'm gonna be doing some downloading tonight and see what i can come up with. thanks for the info Sliter
wonderful life wasn't actuall bokujou series? õ3o
and well, have fun XD

Reactions: leerpsp

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The game looks fine, it's Harvest Moon, I don't know why people get so wound up over licensing issues.
it's like you get a SA.GA game and name it Final fantasy... oh wait...
Or better yet, you make a poor rip off what it was and sell as actual thing .. there are better explanation during the posts on this thread give a look if you want to know why XD
I think the worse is the felling for who don't knew about the original series, these are " harvest moon" only in name/license, almost like like getting a rockman X3 for gbc, it's looks like rockman in game but not in license xD

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
it's like you get a SA.GA game and name it Final fantasy... oh wait...
Or better yet, you make a poor rip off what it was and sell as actual thing .. there are better explanation during the posts on this thread give a look if you want to know why XD
I think the worse is the felling for who don't knew about the original series, these are " harvest moon" only in name/license, almost like like getting a rockman X3 for gbc, it's looks like rockman in game but not in license xD
Clearly that's not the case as the game seems to look and play like Harvest Moon to me, and I've been with the series since PlayStation. Games change over time, so do the teams developing them. It's not the "original" in the sense that it's made by Natsume themselves rather than localised, but it still "belongs" in the series in my opinion.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Clearly that's not the case as the game seems to look and play like Harvest Moon to me, and I've been with the series since PlayStation. Games change over time, so do the teams developing them. It's not the "original" in the sense that it's made by Natsume themselves rather than localised, but it still "belongs" in the series in my opinion.
I started with playstation too xD
well, it's a thing .. I mean ,, they have the brand right and made another game so its oficial, ok , they could buy stardew valley and label it harvest moon too, still oficial, but still not the original serie that harvest moon was a translation of.
Again, this don't mean the game is bad just because that, what bother me is that it have so much "patterns" that are known to work, instead showing original interesting stuff, like the original bokujou monogatari is doing, being amazing in visuals and everything XD while this looks a generic ripoff :/ why not a good ripoff them? XD I think this is the point they are missing.
What do calls more attention on this than in lost valley? I think LV even more calling xD

Last edited by Sliter,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I started with playstation too xD
well, it's a thing .. I mean ,, they have the brand right and made another game so its oficial, ok , they could buy stardew valley and label it harvest moon too, still oficial, but still not the original serie that harvest moon was a translation of.
Again, this don't mean the game is bad just because that, what bother me is that it have so much "patterns" that are known to work, instead showing original interesting stuff, like the original bokujou monogatari is doing, being amazing in visuals and everything XD while this looks a generic ripoff :/ why not a good ripoff them? XD I think this is the point they are missing.
What do calls more attention on this than in lost valley? I think LV even more calling xD
I ceded that point - it's not the "original" game since the "original" game of just a translation. Technically "Harvest Moon" isn't a game, it's a brand. It'd be nice if the entries were high quality, but I'd rather judge them by their merits than on the grounds of scuffles between developers and publishers.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I won't buy this one, I'll be waiting for Story of Seasons and buy it when it gets out.
Last HM I got was Harvest Moon 3D, after that only got Story of Seasons, Natsume won't get any of my money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Biker Mice from Mars needed a Sequel, Angry Hamsters from Uranus