Has IP-filter been killed off?

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Trying not to be too paranoid, but IP-filter hasn´t been updated since August. I´m using one from eMule security right now.

Has it been moved, or is there someone else making IP-filters? Hope it´s not just dust.

Thanks for any news and or help!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to be paranoid surely you would use a better method that can't be worked around in seconds (all those methods you might use to mask your IP address work just as well for any investigative companies).

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it technically has been if by filtering you mean client-side filtering of server IPs, since more and more websites are moving to cloud systems, which means more and more legitimate website are sharing the same IP address. If you were to block the IP address of malicious website, you might accidentally block the IP of a legit website too.

As for blocking clients from connecting to servers, that's still a thing, even though it can be difficult since some people might use a VPN to hide their actual source and end up sharing the same IP, or their IP may be changed on a weekly/monthly basis by their ISP.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As said, it's not really a way to avoid being seen as an uploader by X and Y (think of all the indirect source finding methods like peer exchange), it's more about defending from professional corrupted uploaders (which were a thing in the late 2000s)

And the best known list (Bluetack/BISS) did indeed become paid at first, while now they seem to have completely disappeared...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...