Hasbro Sues Asus Over Transformer Prime Tablet

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Toeing the line is no different than blatantly crossing the line--it's all a matter of whether or not they're willing to be seen doing it. But they WANT to cross it. The intent is there, and so malicious in nature. I hope ASUS doesn't get away with this.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys *have* to be joking right now. I'm starting to think you're just opposing it because it's Hasbro and not because it's blatantly obvious that people can be confused by the name - two trademarked names BY Hasbro. Regardless of whether to two words separated have their own meanings, the name is heavily related to Transformers and that franchise's character. Seriously, if you don't see this - i can't help you. I honestly can't.

You can't copyright words like Transformer and Prime, seeing as how Transformers were invented long before the toy was and Prime was used as a math term long before Optimus Prime was created.
Not each word, the phrase. 'Transformers Prime' is copyrighted.

"Transformers" is. "Transformer" is not. "Optimus Prime" is. "Prime" is not. "Transformers Prime" may be copyrighted, but that isn't the name of the tablet, as it doesn't include the 's' after "Transformer".

All they have to do is prove that consumers would be confused at how close those are.

Which they can't. People who buy tablets know the difference between a Transformer and a tablet.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
You guys *have* to be joking right now. I'm starting to think you're just opposing it because it's Hasbro and not because it's blatantly obvious that people can be confused by the name - two trademarked names BY Hasbro. Regardless of whether to two words separated have their own meanings, the name is heavily related to Transformers and that franchise's character. Seriously, if you don't see this - i can't help you. I honestly can't.

You can't copyright words like Transformer and Prime, seeing as how Transformers were invented long before the toy was and Prime was used as a math term long before Optimus Prime was created.
Not each word, the phrase. 'Transformers Prime' is copyrighted.

"Transformers" is. "Transformer" is not. "Optimus Prime" is. "Prime" is not. "Transformers Prime" may be copyrighted, but that isn't the name of the tablet, as it doesn't include the 's' after "Transformer".

All they have to do is prove that consumers would be confused at how close those are.

Which they can't. People who buy tablets know the difference between a Transformer and a tablet.

Simple, just do a random survey, put people on the spot and say "what's the first thing that pops into your head when I show you these 2 words?"

Then show them "Transformers" and "Prime".

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am going to take a block of iron, coil one copper wire around it 7 times and another 23 times. Voila, I have a "Prime Transformer" - it is evidently a transformer (changing AC voltages) and it uses prime numbers. Would it be reasonable for Hasbro or Asus to get mad?

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't really matter to be honest, since Asus doesn't openly market their tablets. I have never seen a single commercial for their tablets on TV or anywhere else for that matter, very few retail stores sell them and I see more advertising for Transformers toys anyway. Hell, I have seen electronics stores selling the toys rather then the tablets.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It's likely because of the new cartoon(?) called 'Transformers: Prime', I can't be bothered to research who came up with the name first, but surely Hasbro wouldn't go around taking legal action against most electronics companies for requiring/including a power transformer to switch the 120/240v down to 5v?​
I for one would never confuse a tablet for a licensed robot cartoon toy unless it have great big images of the characters all over it.​

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Zelda tablet coming Feb 22, two days before the supposed iPad 3.

Comes with a multifunction multi core Link CPU and GPU.

Starts at $199.

GO NINTENDO. Sue them. /crazy

Seriously, sueing for just a name is kinda retarded.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Did someone say...
imgthingky.jpg
...Zelda?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny, because Hasbro is no way losing any revenue at all. Are hasbro products demand going to suddenly decrease because ASUS named their tablet transformer prime? If anything, Hasbro only could gain - but if they want to sue over words sure...

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Legend of Link tablet coming out 2013. No connection to the series even though the name is oddly familiar.
A more accurate comparison would be HTC releasing an updated version of their Legend device, highlighting its connectivity features by calling it "HTC Legend Link".

meornot0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transform: To change, to redefine
transformer: one who transforms
prime: first, best, above all others

LOL but it sonds lik tranfermer optimis prim so it mist be nok of

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LZ_NvaV5HGE?si=p4H94YGObqOeX23X this brought me joy +2