Hacking Hate to say it... But

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australians may need to bring about some support for piracy of this system in our region =\

EB Games has recently updated the price for the 3DS on their website (it doesn't state it is an Estimated RRP or any estimate at all anymore), bumping it up to $398. Also, not to mention the fact that regular DS games are still launching for $70, 3DS games would most likely be well above that =\
As all Australians, I still hope that this still isn't the final price for the system, but if it is, and games do go as expensive as we may expect... Piracy may be one of our best options =\
(Saying this of course, because compared to other regions we are getting ripped off hard)
Now, importing is an option, but being an avid gamer it is often difficult for me to wait weeks to play a game which I have been looking forward to (after release that is). Since I can import games from the UK at decently discounted prices (I've once bought a recently launched game for my PS3 at a 50% discount compared to the AU price from the UK) I would most likely stick with a PAL 3DS, but I can't get much of a discount on the system itself. I may also import everything from the US, but the problem is finding someone trustworthy who would be bothered to do all that work for me and have it all shipped, but doing so I save most of my money on the system itself.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Godamit said:
Australians may need to bring about some support for piracy of this system in our region =\

EB Games has recently updated the price for the 3DS on their website (it doesn't state it is an Estimated RRP or any estimate at all anymore), bumping it up to $398. Also, not to mention the fact that regular DS games are still launching for $70, 3DS games would most likely be well above that =\
As all Australians, I still hope that this still isn't the final price for the system, but if it is, and games do go as expensive as we may expect... Piracy may be one of our best options =\
(Saying this of course, because compared to other regions we are getting ripped off hard)
Now, importing is an option, but being an avid gamer it is often difficult for me to wait weeks to play a game which I have been looking forward to (after release that is). Since I can import games from the UK at decently discounted prices (I've once bought a recently launched game for my PS3 at a 50% discount compared to the AU price from the UK) I would most likely stick with a PAL 3DS, but I can't get much of a discount on the system itself. I may also import everything from the US, but the problem is finding someone trustworthy who would be bothered to do all that work for me and have it all shipped, but doing so I save most of my money on the system itself.
Stopped reading there.

I knew they'd rip us off again. I'm buying from Big W.
biggrin.gif

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol, yeah, I'm following up other stores for their prices, only the sole game retailers have prices for the system it seems, I really do hope other places will sell it cheaper though, because I would like to support the 3DS as long as possible, but if they want to try and charge us double compared to everywhere else, that support may be short-lived.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Purchasing Power Parity. Read up on it.

If you believe you are getting ripped off, so is everyone else in the world. The DS was US$150 (I think) and AU$300. The 3DS is US$250 and AU$400. If anything, we are put in the best position, so long as you are okay with importing all the system and all your games. If I really wanted to get a 3DS (which I don't), AU$275 - AU$300 is a bargain for such a big new release product.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
deathking said:
with Australians money worth more then Americas you should be paying less then 250
Again, this is wrong.

QUOTE(nutella @ Feb 3 2011, 04:05 PM) Purchasing Power Parity. Read up on it.

If you believe you are getting ripped off, so is everyone else in the world. The DS was US$150 (I think) and AU$300. The 3DS is US$250 and AU$400. If anything, we are put in the best position, so long as you are okay with importing all the system and all your games. If I really wanted to get a 3DS (which I don't), AU$275 - AU$300 is a bargain for such a big new release product.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
I'm importing from a US site via MyUS.

Just get it from Amazon.com.

They will ship you a 3DS for $250 + $20 shipping. The games are $40 too. It's just $10 shipping each game if you add on the games to the 3DS purchase.
So I can get the 3DS and 2 games for far less than what the expected rrp is for Aus. I'm going to wait for February 8 though, just to make sure before I pre-order the 3DS.

I think I'm wanting the black version. What colour are you guys getting?

Edit- Just looked at the checkout. It seems a 3DS and two games. Street fighter and Lego Star wars is $329.97 and shipping comes in a $31.96. Total is $361.93.

Bargain
smile.gif

Edit 2- So that was for expedited shipping shipping at $31.96 (averages 8-16 business days) and estimated delivery of April 7th.
For Priority International Courier (averages 2-5 days) and estimated delivery of March 30th it is $30.96!

Even more of a bargain lol

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm considering perhaps going through Amazon for the 3DS myself. Though, how much do US to AU power converters cost? I don't have any available to me so I'd have to purchase a converter.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
Nice to have another budding business professional here but Purchasing Power Parity is an exchange rate thing more related to arbitrage. It doesn't explain the price difference at all.
I mean yeah people can buy the system and games from another country and have the 'power' to do so but the initial price is determined by logistical and tax factors mostly.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
famousginni said:
If you have cousins or family in the other countries I guess you could always have them ship it for you...
Unfortunately I don't. I'd have to either order through Amazon or something, or get into contact with a trustworthy person in the US who could help me out with everything.

Godamit

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
6Toushiro9 said:
NOOOOOO! I pre-ordered it from EB GAMES!!
If you plan to buy locally, I suggest you keep your pre-order a little while longer, just wait till closer to our release date, when stores will set their prices for the system, that way if you find someone cheaper you can cancel the pre-order at EB and purchase elsewhere, otherwise if it's the same everywhere (and you want one ASAP) then you can just leave your pre-order and get it the day the system arrives.

anonymourse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
F*** this. I'm getting a ngp instead. Even if they're going to be $600-700AU it will still be a better deal.

price is an estimate

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Heran Bago said:
nutella said:
Nice to have another budding business professional here but Purchasing Power Parity is an exchange rate thing more related to arbitrage. It doesn't explain the price difference at all.
I mean yeah people can buy the system and games from another country and have the 'power' to do so but the initial price is determined by logistical and tax factors mostly.
Forgive my ignorance, but how does this mean we are being ripped off? It's been a long time since i've studied business and the terminolgy is slowly coming back to me. I mean, even if the Australian dollar is about equal with the US dollar, Australians typically make more money so it only makes sense for the 3DS to be more expensive here. Obviously there are a lot more contributing factors, but does the high price really suggest ustralians are being as ripped off as it seems?

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
400 dollerydoo's??? For the first time in my life I'm actually thinking about going with SONY instead of nintendo. Like someone else said, the extra price is probably still worth it. Especially after seeing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqD8zJJCZ0

I would have gotten a 3DS for Mario kart, but I don't like the path they chose to take it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: FFS, that "Win a RG35XXSP" thread should be used as an IQ test.