Hacking HBC 1.0.8 Update

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're not sent automatically, they're sent manually by people who think it's our fault when HBC or the HackMii installer misbehaves under DarkCorp.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Then it is mooooooooore annoying, and this people should suffer, being removed away from their Wii's and/or any kind of softmod over the face on the earth, seriously, what kind of dumb reports a bug when they know it is their own (and nobody else's) fault...???
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif

P.S. now I'm pissed too
mad.gif

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Skizzo said:
And didn't they, since then, start deciding what apps we 'should' be running by removing certain ones they thought we 'shouldn't' be running from their website? Granted, we can still obtain and run them, but they're sending a very clear fucking message. They'd like to see cIOS's as a thing of the past. And they've taken a small step in pushing that forward. FFS...did you really miss all of that? No, of course not. You're just another perfect example of the type of people I was describing.

You mean people with a clue?

Killing CIOS would be a good thing, even though you don't understand why.

QUOTE(ether2802 @ Aug 18 2010, 11:24 PM) what kind of dumb reports a bug when they know it is their own (and nobody else's) fault...???
wtf.gif
wtf.gif
wtf.gif

The kind of people that would install darkcorp in the first place?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
marcan_troll, so I take it that the HBC will be indifferent to all apps as long as the integrity of HBC is not technically compromised by the said app. Is that interpretation accurate? If this is the case, I can see a point of convergence of many different opinions already.

BTW, this is the first time I've heard my console ID is also being reported along the way, so thanks for mentioning it here. I feel that this is something that should've been more explicitly advertised, so please do consider it.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
leic7 said:
marcan_troll, so I take it that the HBC will be indifferent to all apps as long as the integrity of HBC is not technically compromised by the said app. Is that interpretation accurate?
HBC will be indifferent to loading all apps, full stop. If the integrity of HBC is compromised by running an app from it, it's either a bug (exploits when loading, stuff like that) or an app that is messing with the installed HBC (messing with NAND). In the former case it would be fixed (because it's a bug), and in the latter case there's nothing worth doing about it before the fact (i.e. we wouldn't block the app from running in the first place). HBC only cares about what you run it under (what loader you use). Specifically, the only supported loader is an unpatched Nintendo IOS on the whitelist used by the HackMii installer when installing HBC (remember that channels are loaded by their IOS; I'm not talking about whatever app you use that invokes the LaunchTitle that ultimately invokes that IOS and then HBC) and about its own integrity (i.e. no modifying HBC once it's installed - HBC won't prevent you from modifying it, it'll just try to stop working when modified). Oh, and then there's the DRM (an HBC install is tied to the console it was installed on, moving HBC installs or using wads is not supported), but that's benign DRM for your own protection (it's an anti-scam measure, used to attempt to ensure that every HBC user has gone through the installer and the antiscam screen at least once), and no one should care since the HackMii installer is and always will be free to download from our site.

In fact, there have only been two instances where HBC "messed with" apps loaded from it. The first one was the April Fools first "release" of "HBC", which was a port of the twilight hack payload to a channel with a 10-minute time limit that I bet half the people in this thread haven't ever heard about (ancient!). Reloading IOS gets rid of the time limit, so that version attempted to make ES stop working for loaded apps by removing occurrences of "/dev/es". It was a joke. The second instance, which persists to this day, is simply that HBC includes a workaround patch for apps compiled with a very ancient version of libogc's crt0. I can't remember exactly what the issue was, but it probably had something to do with the argv support. Other than this crt0 thing, we don't analyze or patch apps beyond ensuring the ELF and DOL files are valid and the memory ranges are sane.

QUOTE(leic7 @ Aug 18 2010, 11:36 PM) BTW, this is the first time I've heard my console ID is also being reported along the way, so thanks for mentioning it here. I feel that this is something that should've been more explicitly advertised, so please do consider it.
It's worth noting that console IDs aren't exactly secret. Nintendo already uses them all over the place, and sharing exported saves also distributes your console ID. It's just a number, roughly increasing sequentially as Wiis are manufactured.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
It's worth noting that console IDs aren't exactly secret. Nintendo already uses them all over the place, and sharing exported saves also distributes your console ID. It's just a number, roughly increasing sequentially as Wiis are manufactured.

Yes, but if your data is ever compromised or appropriated by Nintendo, it could theoretically be used as a blacklist. I'm not suggesting TT would be "evil" with this info. However, a lawsuit could force whomever has access to the database to hand it over.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bit of a stretch, it would take quite a bit to convince a judge to make us hand over private identifying data on a private server related to a private application over to Nintendo. FWIW, the server is in Sweden and under our direct physical control (it's at mha's house, not a datacenter - although his house is probably close to being one
tongue.gif
)

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eata fat dick fat queer
youre the biggest fat queer douche in the scene, i hope for you to die of drowning. Youre the biggest piece of SHIT ever. nobody gives a fuck about you, or needs you, why dont u leave the scene u fucking jerk. eat a fat dick eat a fat dick.

oh and eat a fat dick u fat little queer virgin
Awesome, sure feels like gbatemp. Anyone else want to send a hilarious PM?
rofl.gif

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm curious, if someone wants that info to not be sent over every time HBC starts up (for whatever reason), is blocking "hackmii.com" for their wii good enough to achieve that?
And thanks marcan for answering all my silly questions, I really appreciate it.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The domain used for updates is hbc.hackmii.com, and you're seriously paranoid (not to mention you might miss out on a critical update sometime) if you really want to block it. But sure, that'll do it.

sk0ld

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
So in any other circumstance you could say this information is shared, in a sense, voluntarily.. choosing to play a game online, exporting and distributing a save, etc.? As opposed to it just being taken? Rhetorical quesiton.
I guess I'm just more than a little curious as to why you feel any of this (a little too) specific information, that is being sent every time someone starts your app, is any of your damn business? It's not going to make the HBC any better, it's just data farming. See, I'm a big fan of choice. You ever read A Clockwork Orange?
Make it optional.

Skiller

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
marcan_troll said:
The domain used for updates is hbc.hackmii.com, and you're seriously paranoid (not to mention you might miss out on a critical update sometime) if you really want to block it. But sure, that'll do it.

Sorry to change the Subject ....
something intresting Happen I was on .7b (IOS61) USB HDD loading was working
Upgraded to .8 (IOS 58) USB Stoped (The USB icon Goes off and on in HBC not alowing me to pick it)
Desided to Downgrade to .7 (Note Not 7b) Ios61 USB HDD still doin the Samething..

Make note that any other Apps that Read from said HDD works Perfect.. Read Write Everything ..
But if I Try to access the HDD using HBC it kills loading from it as well... Meaning them apps that work with the HDD stop working as well..
as long as i have the SD card in Load my App from SD that uses the HDD (Not telling HBC to look to the HDD) everything works great

I have not Tryed .7b again but will be testing it out tonight since i found it again lol .
was there any Huge changes to the USB Part of the HBC that would make this happen ?

And thanks again .. i just rather use My SD Cards for the Camras .

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sk0ld said:
QUOTE said:
So in any other circumstance you could say this information is shared, in a sense, voluntarily.. choosing to play a game online, exporting and distributing a save, etc.? As opposed to it just being taken? Rhetorical quesiton.
I guess I'm just more than a little curious as to why you feel any of this (a little too) specific information, that is being sent every time someone starts your app, is any of your damn business? It's not going to make the HBC any better, it's just data farming. See, I'm a big fan of choice. You ever read A Clockwork Orange?
Make it optional.
marcan said "The console ID is only used to quantify the number of users (IPs are notoriously unreliable for this, especially in places such as Korea where some ISPs do NAT)"
that doesnt really need any dumbing down but to give you an example of why they do that is some users like mine change about once a week some change more or less often than that but pretty much no one has the same ip forever, if they looked at the statistics based solely upon that they'd think they had many times more users than in reality. with your console ID everyone will show up once and only once thus a much better way to do it.

also i for one have no problems and thank everything the homebrew channel and team twiizers has done with this amazing update, if you read my post one small suggestion please maybe an easier way to install it on sneek.

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
That's a bit of a stretch, it would take quite a bit to convince a judge to make us hand over private identifying data on a private server related to a private application over to Nintendo. FWIW, the server is in Sweden and under our direct physical control (it's at mha's house, not a datacenter - although his house is probably close to being one
tongue.gif
)

Heh. You're right that it's a stretch, but didn't the Swedish authorities raid the PirateBay servers even though they had no real legal standing?

One idea to obfuscate the ID would be to put it through a one way hash like SHA1. That way you can keep unique statistics without storing the actual IDs. Now I realize that the IDs probably aren't random so if the search space is limited, it would be trivial to generate a database of hashes in order to do a reverse lookup. If there is more than one fixed serial number in a wii, that would raise the complexity of the hash so it couldn't be determined as easily. Maybe the ID plus the bytes where there are factory bad blocks on the NAND.
smile.gif

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
jefffisher said:
marcan said "The console ID is only used to quantify the number of users (IPs are notoriously unreliable for this, especially in places such as Korea where some ISPs do NAT)"
that doesnt really need any dumbing down but to give you an example of why they do that is some users like mine change about once a week some change more or less often than that but pretty much no one has the same ip forever, if they looked at the statistics based solely upon that they'd think they had many times more users than in reality. with your console ID everyone will show up once and only once thus a much better way to do it.
Yeah in germany all DSL connections change IPs on reconnect and since pretty much every provider here forces a DC after 24h that means IP change every 24h. So getting a number of users from IPs wouldn't exactly work.
biggrin.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

marcan_troll... I don't think u r a troll despite what ur name implies, and I think we all gotta have respect for where wii hacking has its origins... not only the origin, but the general direction wii hacking is going, with the new direct hardware access made possible by the latest HBC, we will see a new era of wii apps being developed, and this was again made possible by people like Marcan and Team Twiizers

btw, if its any consolation, bugaveli is a really nice guy when u get past... well... pretty much every word of what I have to assume to be a PM.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
eata fat dick fat queer
youre the biggest fat queer douche in the scene, i hope for you to die of drowning. Youre the biggest piece of SHIT ever. nobody gives a fuck about you, or needs you, why dont u leave the scene u fucking jerk. eat a fat dick eat a fat dick.

oh and eat a fat dick u fat little queer virgin
Awesome, sure feels like gbatemp. Anyone else want to send a hilarious PM?
rofl.gif
I think gbatemp is a pretty cool guy. Eh eats a fat dick and doesn't afraid of anything!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack