Gaming Heroes of Mana - Bad Score!

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I was passing through Gamespot, my local place for game reviews, and decided to look up an undumped game that we're nearly all talking about - Heroes of Mana.

Well, I looked the review and it scored 5.5 - Mediocre. Not a good score for the Mana series.

The good parts, according to GS review is that it has an intuitive interface that makes real-time strategy work on the DS and it presents solid unit balancing.

The downside, simply put, is that the game is downright disappointing, claiming it has horrendous pathfinding, slow cutscenes and unit speed that throw the game off pace, has dumb multiplayer because you need to complete the campaign to be balanced with your opponent.

This is one of the 4 games that I'll least be looking forward now. It's just a review, but they have naturally tested the game and GS reviews usually don't fail (Tank Beat got a deserved score for it's failure as a game).

Don't blame me, I'm disappointed too.
frown.gif

Here it is for all those who want to read it.

T!b0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Well maybe it's time to stop considering the Mana games "Good"...
Mystic Quest (that's how the one on GameBoy is know here) was good.
Secret of mana what one of the best games ever.
Seiken Densetsu 3 was awesome, but never got released outside Japan...

And from then on, none of the Mana titles can be considered "great" games... All of them had a terrible flaw that just kept them from being as good as their ancestors. They were enjoyable, I'm not taking that away, but not nearly as good as Secret!

Let's face it, Square-Enix isn't even capable of making a good game (Sword of Mana) when remaking an old good game (Mystic Quest). So there must be some kind of curse around the mana tree.

Plus, the latest Mana games have nothing in common with the original games: dungeon crawler, strategy-rpg...
I'm sure that if they would let the "Mana" in the title go, and just start from scratch, it wouldn't get such bad reviews!

Why call it "Mana"? They should know by now that we will be disapointed!

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Gamespot, gave zelda TP wii 7.8, and said the controls on the gamecube where better... this before they reviewed zelda tp GC... they gave it a better score and the conclusion, said the Wii version was superior... explain that.

Plus i belive gamespot is more turned into Sony console, then nintendo and m$. But thats just me...

Hairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gamespot, gave zelda TP wii 7.8, and said the controls on the gamecube where better... this before they reviewed zelda tp GC... they gave it a better score and the conclusion, said the Wii version was superior... explain that.

Plus i belive gamespot is more turned into Sony console, then nintendo and m$. But thats just me...

Wasn't it an 8.8? Still, quite ridiculous lol. I'm still looking forward to Heroes of Mana
smile.gif

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
If you go to their DS section you can see that the highest rated DS game is Mario Kart DS...with 9.2 =/

They gave Advance wars DS a 9 or 8.9, Elite beat agents a 9.1 and overall their reviews tend to suck.

Twilight princess gets 8.8 (I think) and Red steel got 'mediocore'.

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never listen to Gamespot reviews, the reviewers know nothing. I never actually pay any attention to reviews anymore besides Edge Magazine and the users opinions here.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
If you go to their DS section you can see that the highest rated DS game is Mario Kart DS...with 9.2 =/

They gave Advance wars DS a 9 or 8.9, Elite beat agents a 9.1 and overall their reviews tend to suck.

Twilight princess gets 8.8 (I think) and Red steel got 'mediocore'.
they gave Yoshis Island DS a game of the year award or something, that alone proves how worthless gamespot is.
YIDS is easily one of the worst games of all time

HBK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
gamespot = worst gaming site
gamespot reviews = completely worthless

Damn right. I don't trust anyones review on a game and never will. I'll judge the game when i play it.

IGN overrates things most of the time. GS underrates them quite a bit. Controversy.
unsure.gif

But yeah, I agree, I judge games when I play them too, and that's why I write reviews that state my opinion - but it's always good to listen to others to get a second opinion.
happy.gif

ausroller

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
they gave Yoshis Island DS a game of the year award or something, that alone proves how worthless gamespot is.
YIDS is easily one of the worst games of all time

I bought Yoshi's Island DS mostly because of that review, and it was nowhere near as good as Gamespot claimed it to be. I love me some Yoshi, but it wasn't *that* great

Vekira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i dont know why ppl read some reviews, unless you tested the game urself or have about the game by someone you trust and/or have the same interests in games as you... the review is pointless

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Damn right. I don't trust anyones review on a game and never will. I'll judge the game when i play it.

IGN overrates things most of the time. GS underrates them quite a bit. Controversy.
unsure.gif

But yeah, I agree, I judge games when I play them too, and that's why I write reviews that state my opinion - but it's always good to listen to others to get a second opinion.
happy.gif

I disagree about second opinions. Most people (and i use the term most very loosely) have some great expectation of what the game is before they've played it. They also compare it to other games. Someone compared Heros of Mana to Final fantasy and something else, and there lies the problem. Because of the fact that people compare it to other games, that a game gets a bad or improper review, they play the game expecting to get one thing and when it comes out differently they give it a bad review. What happen to the good ol' days when a game was rated on the storyline?

HBK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

unsure.gif

happy.gif

I disagree about second opinions. Most people (and i use the term most very loosely) have some great expectation of what the game is before they've played it. They also compare it to other games. Someone compared Heros of Mana to Final fantasy and something else, and there lies the problem. Because of the fact that people compare it to other games, that a game gets a bad or improper review, they play the game expecting to get one thing and when it comes out differently they give it a bad review. What happen to the good ol' days when a game was rated on the storyline?

These aren't the GBA days where Golden Sun was the best RPG I'd played, awesome storyline, but the classics (FF, TLZ:PH, etc.) generally have good ratings. I dunno what happened this time around, but it seems RTS + Mana series = fail?

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man i dont think it was ever going to be a massively great game... Hopefully its sells well so we get a sequel...

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

unsure.gif

happy.gif

These aren't the GBA days where Golden Sun was the best RPG I'd played, awesome storyline, but the classics (FF, TLZ:PH, etc.) generally have good ratings. I dunno what happened this time around, but it seems RTS + Mana series = fail?

Secret of Mana was a real time strategy.. and that game was a Knock out not to mention that it started the whole Mana saga.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag