Homebrew Homebrew App Request - znes

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why port zsnes if snes9x ports like snes9x gx by tantric work like a charm?

the biggest problem with zsnes is that it mostly written in x86 assembler code which is quite hard to port to an other architecture like powerpc which the wii makes use off. right now there is no port to power which could easily be adopted. but since the whole emu is gpled somebody can give it a try
wink.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
someone would have to COMPLETELY rewrote ZSNES code to work on the Wii... and this someone should more likely be the original coder because translating x86 assembly into C or C++ when you don't know what it originally does is a pain in the ass

this could take years, are you sure you want this ? I don't think so
wink.gif

best option is always to start from snes9x and let the snes9x team (not tantric) improves the emulation code... lol, this also could take years

masamunecyrus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not much of a programmer, but the simple answer is it can't be done. SNES9X was done in mostly c, which is portable to other platforms. ZSNES was done largely in platform-dependent assembly, so to port it would require remaking the entire emulator ~almsot~ from scratch (at least the important parts of it).

Rather, what I'd like to see is the SNES9X developers implement .jma support (this has already been done, Tantric just needs to add it to his build) and updated to use Blargg's sound core. The latest builds of SNES9X for the PC have already done this, as well. :-)

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
oneleggedjack said:
i agree with the znes port.... I want to be able to play my hacked 48megabit roms!

at least try to read the comments above yours
rolleyes.gif

fixing snes9x to be able to load a stupid hacked ROM would still be 100x time easier than porting zsnes

QUOTEI'm not much of a programmer, but the simple answer is it can't be done. SNES9X was done in mostly c, which is portable to other platforms. ZSNES was done largely in platform-dependent assembly, so to port it would require remaking the entire emulator ~almsot~ from scratch (at least the important parts of it).

Rather, what I'd like to see is the SNES9X developers implement .jma support (this has already been done, Tantric just needs to add it to his build) and updated to use Blargg's sound core. The latest builds of SNES9X for the PC have already done this, as well. :-)

I think that adding tons of supported archive format in an emulator is useless, there are lot more important things to do regarding emulation itself
I can' tunderstand people thinking an emulator is "the best" because it has tons of non-emulation related features such as recording or frame rewind, which, with all respect, are often added by devs because they know nothing else to do.

I second the Blarggs sound core suggestion though, would like to see the NTSC filter as well ;-)

masamunecyrus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
oneleggedjack said:
i agree with the znes port.... I want to be able to play my hacked 48megabit roms!

at least try to read the comments above yours
rolleyes.gif

fixing snes9x to be able to load a stupid hacked ROM would still be 100x time easier than porting zsnes

QUOTEI'm not much of a programmer, but the simple answer is it can't be done. SNES9X was done in mostly c, which is portable to other platforms. ZSNES was done largely in platform-dependent assembly, so to port it would require remaking the entire emulator ~almsot~ from scratch (at least the important parts of it).

I think that adding tons of supported archive format in an emulator is useless, there are lot more important things to do regarding emulation itself
I can' tunderstand people thinking an emulator is "the best" because it has tons of non-emulation related features such as recording or frame rewind, which, with all respect, are often added by devs because they know nothing else to do.

I second the Blarggs sound core suggestion though, would like to see the NTSC filter as well ;-)

Well, the point was that it has already been implemented, and jma is usually better than 7z for SNES roms, which is in turn much better than plain .zip which we're using now (or uncompressed). Also, Blargg's sound core has been implemented on the PC, though maybe the sound core itself would have to be ported to the Wii, which would be troublesome/unnecessarily difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: which never was good as far as I can tell