Hacking Homebrew Channel on vWii buggy?

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me? My Wii U is on firmware 5.51 and I have had the vWii side of things hacked for a while now. Nothing special...just the latest HBC and d2x v10 Beta53alt. Everything works fine...except...

Sometimes homebrew apps do not return to the Homebrew Channel. They exit and just black screen. I have to literally pull the plug and power on the Wii U and start all over again. Sometimes it happens after loading a few apps, but sometimes only after one or two. For example tonight I loaded Mednafen and played a SMS game. Went to exit and black screen. Rebooted the Wii U and loaded Mednafen from the HBC again. Played the same game, exited and returned to the HBC as expected. Loaded Genesis Plus GX. Same...all fine. Loaded WiiExplorer. Exited and black screen.

What gives? If I launch anything from USBLoaderGX's homebrew launcher and exit I *always* return to USBLoaderGX. I am launching USBLoaderGX from the official forwarder channel so I am not ever using the HBC in this instance.

I am fine just using USBLoaderGX to launch my homebrew (and the launcher is nicer in my opinion anyway) but I am just curious as to *why* this is happening? Could some homebrew be temporarily patching IOS58 and causing the HBC not to relaunch? I tried a different SD card as well thinking maybe that was the issue but it is not the case.

With USBLoaderGX's ability to launch homebrew is there even a need for the HBC nowadays to begin with? First there was the aspect ratio issue (which thankfully was fixed by third parties) and now I am running into this and I am not at all used to it as it did not occur on the old Wii. I suspect the vWii update has some bugs that need to be squashed but we might not see that happening any time soon. I know some of the members are MIA and bushing (RIP pal) is no longer with us....

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I'll just answer my own question....yes....HBC is buggy on the vWii when launching in and out of multiple homebrew applications.

I tried the excellent "Homebrew Filter" which is a alternative HBC (with a whole lot of additional features) and is rock solid stable with the same applications that would leave me with a black screen attempting to return to the HBC. I have tested it all day, moving in and out of apps and back again and it does not flinch. It always works, always fast, every time. I am of course keeping the HBC installed just in case I ever need it for something, but HBF is the replacement I was looking for and then some. Here's the github link and wesbite link in case anyone is interested. I used the installer version (which installed just like the HBC does...installer even looked similar) but there are also standalone versions with forwarders for both Wii and vWii:

https://github.com/Nanolx/homebrewfilter

http://nanolx.org/wiihomebrew/homebrewfilter

This definitely deserves the support from the community. I applaud and thank the developers for such a fine piece of work. Too bad the HBC devs and this project didn't collaborate together as the features here are really innovative and using it is just an absolute joy.

Last edited by zektor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4