OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Hello,

I'm looking for an homebrew that can read DVD. I know there is tons of thread requesting this type of app, but as far as I know, everybody wanted a DVD reader homebrew WITH Wiimote support.

I don't care about Wii support, a gamecube homebrew would be great too

Thanks you,

Shuny

AvEnGeR-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you mean, a Modchiped Wii reading a DVD?
Non-modchipped wii's cannot read dvd's full stop for now. (at the moment, homebrew on the Wii doesn't enable playing burned/iso's of games).

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Yep, I have a modchip and I don't care about having a channel or Wiimote support
smile.gif

Does it exists ?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
all emulators have DVD rom loading support in GC mode since the beginning

you are looking for a homebrew that can read from dvd, but what do you want to read ?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
theclaw said:
No. A Wii without a modchip currently won't read DVD R/RW discs for any purpose. Not music, photos, movies, data, games, or anything else.

certainly... but the guy HAS a modchip installed
and yes, a chipped Wii can read dvd-r in GC mode, this has been done for ages

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, since you're modded, try this:

Code:
http://wii.softwareheadlines.com/modules/planet/view.article.php/26095

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
since you can read DVD sectors, everything could be theorically done (from reading/displaying the DVD menu to playing DVD video & audio files) since it just a matter of having the software (i.e code) to do this and obviously to know the file formats specification (and I think this is where legal issues are coming up)

I imagine starting from scratch is a too much painful work, if there was some good opensource dvd players, maybe they could be ported

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
http://freshmeat.net/projects/libdvdread/

QUOTE said:
About:
libdvdread provides a simple foundation for reading DVD video disks. It provides the functionality that is required to access many DVDs. It parses IFO files, reads NAV-blocks, and performs CSS authentication and descrambling.

someone should try to port this under libogc

the DVD player from team Symbiote is still on alpha stage an probably got abandonned
last time I tried, the framerate was awful, the gamecube being not powerful enough to do the video decoding/encoding in real time

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Probably going to sound like a noob for saying this, but surely some low-level work arounds could be put into code to bypass the protection? Or isn't there enough documentation on the programming languages for Wii to actually pull this off?

EDIT: What does the Wii even use? C++?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
what protection are you talking about ? dvd can be read in gamecube mode,period
it's just a matter of coding the application

QUOTE said:
EDIT: What does the Wii even use? C++?

the Wii use a Power PC microprocessor
developpers (homebrew or official ones) are using development kits to produce PowerPC executable (.dol files) and are coding in C/C++ or PowerPC assembly

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
What does the Wii even use? C++?
Any Processor uses some kind of machine language.
C++ is a programming language.
To turn c++ code into executable machine code you'll need a compiler.

For any advancing questions to software development, you'll have to invest some time studying ;-)

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
dvd can be read in gamecube mode
Exactly. Direct access to DVD disk data is available in Gamecube (MIOS) mode only. In Wii mode, however, only the decrypted data of a properly signed and encrypted Wii disk can be accessed, direct access to DVD disk data is prohibited by the IOS.

QUOTEit's just a matter of coding the application
Without a modified IOS, which is still far from a reality, there's no possible way of coding a DVD player (or anything that accesses regular DVD data for that matter) in Wii mode.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
OP
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
denzil said:
Jacobeian said:
dvd can be read in gamecube mode
Exactly. Direct access to DVD disk data is available in Gamecube (MIOS) mode only. In Wii mode, however, only the decrypted data of a properly signed and encrypted Wii disk can be accessed, direct access to DVD disk data is prohibited by the IOS.

QUOTEit's just a matter of coding the application
Without a modified IOS, which is still far from a reality, there's no possible way of coding a DVD player (or anything that accesses regular DVD data for that matter) in Wii mode.

Yes but I really don't care about reading my DVD with a Gamecube Homebrew, That's the point of this thread : Everybody says that an homebrew to read DVD-Video on Wii mode doesn't exist, but on Gamecube mode ?

Symbiote release seems buggy
frown.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the costs of decent DVD players being under $20 on places like Amazon, and even cheaper locally (seriously, there is a Coby one that you can switch to be region free, I have bought two) it can't be good for the laser in the Wii to be constantly running reading the data. $250 to replace your Wii vs. $20 for a DVD player... it just makes sense to get a separate component, in all honesty. No one's home entertainment system is that crowded that they cant fit a smaller DVD player right beside/under the Wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 50% closer to getting my teeth fixed +4