How can i build WAD Manager?

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello there, just for the fun of it i wanted to change music to the famous WAD Channel 1.7, it's been 7 hours that i'm trying to build it but it has missing libraries and i don't know what to do.
I download the code from waninkoko's github, i can't post the link since i can't right now but if you search for the source code you'll find it
There is something wrong with the makefile as one commit says, that DEVKITPRO in the makefile is outdated and needs to be deleted... after deleting DEVKITPRO it still gives me an error.
I've given up for now, i know there are better alternatives for WAD Installer's like WiiModLite or YAWMM, but i want to build this not for using it daily, just for the fun of it, i want to change music but i'm stuck.
I hope you can help me ASAP.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no idea. that's pretty much the problem. without documentation of what was used, you probably won't be able to compile it without modifying the code. I've done a few with modified code, but I was told what changes to make, since I'm not a coder. I can follow directions pretty well, so if I had instructions on what to do, I could probably guide you.
Post automatically merged:

btw, I think it was most likely compiled with mingw, not sure if it's the same with msys or not, but it may predate msys. I usually try to look for stuff as old as the repo, assuming the dev was up to date, but since the repo had to have stuff reuploaded, there's now no way to tell how old the stuff is.

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
no idea. that's pretty much the problem. without documentation of what was used, you probably won't be able to compile it without modifying the code. I've done a few with modified code, but I was told what changes to make, since I'm not a coder. I can follow directions pretty well, so if I had instructions on what to do, I could probably guide you.
The only thing that comes to mind to me right now is contacting waninkoko himself, if he remembers or knows the directions to fix this. I will try tomorrow to download some old stuff and try to build it... wish me luck

• Love
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that comes to mind to me right now is contacting waninkoko himself, if he remembers or knows the directions to fix this. I will try tomorrow to download some old stuff and try to build it... wish me luck
I posted a second time above in how I approach such problems based on the app's age. I've managed to compile stuff as old as about 8 years, but it required changers to the code, as I mentioned.

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
btw, I think it was most likely compiled with mingw, not sure if it's the same with msys or not, but it may predate msys. I usually try to look for stuff as old as the repo, assuming the dev was up to date, but since the repo had to have stuff reuploaded, there's now no way to tell how old the stuff is.
WAD Manager 1.7 was posted in 2010, says GitHub

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WAD Manager 1.7 was posted in 2010, says GitHub
yeah, that's going to be difficult without some information. I was able to get it to detect devkitPPC, but I had to move the folder outside of the devkitpro folder. then, there was another error with base rules and one of the powerpc compilers

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah, that's going to be difficult without some information. I was able to get it to detect devkitPPC, but I had to move the folder outside of the devkitpro folder. then, there was another error with base rules and one of the powerpc compilers
With my experimenting, you need to put the powerpc compiler in a folder inside devkitppc (what folder? haha i dont even know/remember since out of stress i put the binary in like 10 folders), i reached in 7 hours a point that it gave me an error saying " c:/devkitpro/devkitppc/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/12.1.0/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lvorbisidec
c:/devkitpro/devkitppc/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc-eabi/12.1.0/../../../../powerpc-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lz"
I don't remember well how i reached this point, i remember when it exited out because it needed some libraries (ivorbiscodec.h and ogg.h) i needed to add them in the "build" folder. I am not a coder myself so i can't explain myself well

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vorbis is a library that you can download. I think I used it with sonic mania. as for lz, I think that's a compression format for python.

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lz should be pip install lz

lz should be put in the right place, but vorbis I think goes in the goes in the portlibs/pp/ possibly include and lib.
Hello there, i tried building it with mingw with "mingw32-make" but im still stuck at "cannot find -lvorbisidec" and "cannot find -lz".
Do you think there is something else i need to do? I dont really know

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you install both? lz can be installed with pip, which is part of python. see if you have python installed. if not, you can do the pacman command for it, then pip, if it doesn't come with it, can be installed with the python script called getpip.py

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
did you install both? lz can be installed with pip, which is part of python. see if you have python installed. if not, you can do the pacman command for it, then pip, if it doesn't come with it, can be installed with the python script called getpip.py
Ok im back, i installed pip and installed lz and now the lz error is gone. Could you please explain better where do i need to place the libvorbis files? I placed the files in the "include" folder into /devkitPro/portlibs/ppc/bin directory. Still doesn't work.

Attachments

• 1671473823811.png
    1671473823811.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by Michy234,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that's the right library, problem is with something that old, which folder does it scan for that content? I already discovered that it looks for devkitPPC in the opt folder, outside of devkitpro, and the environmental variables don't seem to matter.

I just thought of this, but you might be able to see where it looks by opening the makefile in notepad++

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok im back, i installed pip and installed lz and now the lz error is gone. Could you please explain better where do i need to place the libvorbis files? I placed the files in the "include" folder into /devkitPro/portlibs/ppc/bin directory. Still doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure that's the right library, problem is with something that old, which folder does it scan for that content? I already discovered that it looks for devkitPPC in the opt folder, outside of devkitpro, and the environmental variables don't seem to matter.

I just thought of this, but you might be able to see where it looks by opening the makefile in notepad++
nevermind, needed to change devkitPro directory, had two since i installed two instances of it. It now gives me another eror though:
View attachment 343454
Do you know what this means?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, that's in devkitPPC/bin iirc. that's the error I got as well. I don't know if it's searching in the right place or not. @SaulFabre has experience with the older devkitpro, so he may know how to correct it.

Michy234

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah, that's in devkitPPC/bin iirc. that's the error I got as well. I don't know if it's searching in the right place or not. @SaulFabre has experience with the older devkitpro, so he may know how to correct it.
Well then, lets hope he can help us

Update: i put the missing "powerpc-eabi-gcc" and now is doing this:
1671475006799.png

I searched on google and it says it this error is given when i have a compiler that does not match the original compiler version and i need to edit the "project properties"
What should i do?

Update: i put the missing "powerpc-eabi-gcc" and now is doing this:
1671475006799.png

I searched on google and it says it this error is given when i have a compiler that does not match the original compiler version and i need to edit the "project properties"
What should i do?
Another update:
Now it gives me this error:
"powerpc-eabi-gcc.exe: error: unrecognized command line option '-mrvl'"
I really am at a loss, everything changes if i do nothing

Last edited by Michy234,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D