ROM Hack How do games detect flashcarts?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pingouin7 said:
To be fair, Anti-Piracy measures alerady existed in the Super NES era.
Just look at Earthbound.

Earthbound looked at sram space. If there was more space for sram than usual, the game would make a lot of enemies appear. This made the game unplayable.

Every game has a different Anti-Piracy system, though they all get cracked quite fast.
BTW, even the NES had anti-piracy measures.
For example:
Earth_Bound_Piracy.png

This was from the unreleased [US version of] MOTHER 1 for the NES.

CrashmanX

Current project: Gundam AGE Universe Accel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YayMii said:
BTW, even the NES had anti-piracy measures.
For example:
Earth_Bound_Piracy.png

This was from the unreleased [US version of] MOTHER 1 for the NES.

AH that was it, Mother 1. That's the ending screen my friend got on his emulator XD

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
I think the flashcart compares the header data with the one in it's database. If it matches, the database tells the firmware how to patch the game. If it doesn't, i think it just figures what save size it uses and creates an appropriate save.

Correct me if wrong Normmatt D:

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
fgghjjkll said:
I think the flashcart compares the header data with the one in it's database. If it matches, the database tells the firmware how to patch the game. If it doesn't, i think it just figures what save size it uses and creates an appropriate save.

Correct me if wrong Normmatt D:

I've already said how the AP checks work and your wrong
tongue.gif

HoTsHoT89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Normmatt said:
Wrong again!

They do reads below 8000h which on official games still be redirected to 8000h in the rom while on flashcarts it isnt redirected and as such its easy to see its a flashcart, its not a simple fix either though, as the checks use their own read card function which isn't patched and as such reads need to be quick which they aren't unless the routine is patched
frown.gif

Why do flashcarts do not redirect as game cards do? I'm not sure what data lies below the 8000h memory address as well.

Also, in short a flashcart does not emulate a game card perfectly which is how game developers are able to place code to detect flashcarts?

Normmatt said:
QUOTE(SickPuppy @ Mar 1 2010, 11:50 AM) Why do the patches only work on certain flashcarts? Exapmle: I patched a certain racing game and it worked on one flashcart, but not on my other two flashcarts? I am running the latest firmware on all three flashcarts.
Because not all flashcarts patch the game in the same way. Not to mention some flashcarts just plain suck ass.
If games were patched externally (like with XDelta) probably doesn't matter, does it?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
HoTsHoT89 said:
Normmatt said:
Wrong again!

They do reads below 8000h which on official games still be redirected to 8000h in the rom while on flashcarts it isnt redirected and as such its easy to see its a flashcart, its not a simple fix either though, as the checks use their own read card function which isn't patched and as such reads need to be quick which they aren't unless the routine is patched
frown.gif

Why do flashcarts do not redirect as game cards do? I'm not sure what data lies below the 8000h memory address as well.

Also, in short a flashcart does not emulate a game card perfectly which is how game developers are able to place code to detect flashcarts?

Normmatt said:
QUOTE(SickPuppy @ Mar 1 2010, 11:50 AM) Why do the patches only work on certain flashcarts? Exapmle: I patched a certain racing game and it worked on one flashcart, but not on my other two flashcarts? I am running the latest firmware on all three flashcarts.
Because not all flashcarts patch the game in the same way. Not to mention some flashcarts just plain suck ass.
If games were patched externally (like with XDelta) probably doesn't matter, does it?

As i said the function thats does the read below 8000h is very strictly timed, if you return data to slow (flashcarts) it doesn't work. This can't be helped sadly.

Flashcarts patch more than just Antipiracy routines they patch the read card routine to read from the sd and they patch the save routines to read/write to the sd. They all do these patches in different ways patching different functions.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so like the previous poster said, there are several extremely minor ways that flash carts do not identically mirror the physical cartridges' run routes, and the AP's specifically target these variances. Right?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
choconado said:
so like the previous poster said, there are several extremely minor ways that flash carts do not identically mirror the physical cartridges' run routes, and the AP's specifically target these variances. Right?

They target 1 and only 1, they could check alot more and I'm surprised they haven't started yet.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Normmatt said:
choconado said:

They target 1 and only 1, they could check alot more and I'm surprised they haven't started yet.

Don't give them ideas!

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Blaze163 said:
Normmatt said:
choconado said:

Don't give them ideas!
Indeed, AP is already getting tougher on us, and last thing we need is AP that takes the hackers years to crack.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Demonbart said:
Blaze163 said:
Normmatt said:
choconado said:

Don't give them ideas!
Indeed, AP is already getting tougher on us, and last thing we need is AP that takes the hackers years to crack.
Harder AP is good for everyone. Bring it on.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
Demonbart said:
Blaze163 said:
Normmatt said:
choconado said:

Don't give them ideas!
Harder AP is good for everyone. Bring it on.

^ This.

...then again, that would raise the amount of "HLP PLZZZZ! THS DUZ NAWT WURK AWN 'R4i NEO GOLD SUPER ULTRA WITH 4 PETABYTES OF INTERNAL MEMORY AND SUPER ULTRA III UPGRADE PLATINUM SILVER DELUXE DSI 4.5 COMPATIBLE WITH BUILT IN FLUX CAPICITOR' HLP PLZZZ I NEEDZ 2 PLAAY THIS AWN R4!!!" comments, which is a BAD thing as noone likes noobs.

...then again the more damage to the crap R4 clones, the better.

Reactions: AceWarhead

Frostshocker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
'R4i NEO GOLD SUPER ULTRA WITH 4 PETABYTES OF INTERNAL MEMORY AND SUPER ULTRA III UPGRADE PLATINUM SILVER DELUXE DSI 4.5 COMPATIBLE WITH BUILT IN FLUX CAPICITOR

-thinks he has one of those hanging about somewhere....-

CrashmanX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frostshocker said:
QUOTE said:
'R4i NEO GOLD SUPER ULTRA WITH 4 PETABYTES OF INTERNAL MEMORY AND SUPER ULTRA III UPGRADE PLATINUM SILVER DELUXE DSI 4.5 COMPATIBLE WITH BUILT IN FLUX CAPICITOR

How do you get it up to 85mph? Also, does it run on Dilithium Crystals?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
CrashmanX said:
Frostshocker said:
QUOTE said:

Mine runs on Trilithium Crystals.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
CrashmanX said:
Frostshocker said:
QUOTE said:

I was going to do that, but I didn't want to run the risk of having my flash cart shot into the sun.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Lacius said:
Normmatt said:
CrashmanX said:
Frostshocker said:
QUOTE said:
I was going to do that, but I didn't want to run the risk of having my flash cart shot into the sun.
But get the angle just right and shoot AROUND the Sun & you can go back in time & alter history to make the R4 the best card ever !!!

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lacius said:
Normmatt said:
CrashmanX said:
Frostshocker said:
QUOTE said:

Last thing we need is a level 12 shockwave destroying everything in the star system D:
(sorry, but I couldn't resist joining in)

Additionally, these posts should be moved to EoF.

CrashmanX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Lacius said:
Normmatt Mine runs on Trilithium Crystals.I was going to do that, but I didn't want to run the risk of having my flash cart shot into the sun.
But get the angle just right and shoot AROUND the Sun & you can go back in time & alter history to make the R4 the best card ever !!!

I love this forum so much.

mtbelley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CrashmanX said:
Frostshocker said:
QUOTE said:

Actually it was 88 MPH and 1.21 Jigawatts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Veho, where's the poll at?
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    they're giving the internet an open text box?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I never played or own any of they devices, but I like small style, but with a somewhat grip
    oh man, that always goes great!
    im sure half the responses won't be literal racial slurs or "drop table" jokes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Look, it's China. They know what it's like when you give a poll to half a billion trolls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much dollar do you think it is?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    ONE MILLION DOLLA
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I know the pricing of electronics nowadays isn't "how much it actually costs" but "how much we can get away with", but putting up a poll is just cynical.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably $150 someone said Anbernic said around the same price as rg556
    you know which game i wish they would rerelease
    sonic unleashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia +1