Hacking How to tell if your DX DSTT is a FAKE.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Bri said:
So, Tanas, you cannot tell from the outside.
Isn't that what tanas has been saying all along? You were insisting yours was original without opening it whilst tanas opened his.

fathawg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simple lesson that has been in multiple posts for months. Do not order a DSTT from DX with the card reader. They are fake!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
quim69 said:
Bri said:
So, Tanas, you cannot tell from the outside.
Isn't that what tanas has been saying all along? You were insisting yours was original without opening it whilst tanas opened his.

No, read the title of the thread:

How to tell if your DX DSTT is a FAKE., Without having to open it.

Tanas has been saying that you CAN tell from the outside, and I'm saying that you CANNOT tell from the outside. Tanas posted a picture in the OP and said that if your flash cart looks like one of those on the outside, it's a fake (he has since edited the OP to show a picture of the inside of his cart). I said that I had one that looks just like his from the outside but isn't a fake. He asked me to prove that mine isn't a fake by opening it up, which I did. Indeed it looks like his from the outside, but the inside is different -- which is what I have been saying all along. You cannot tell unless you open it.

Here are pictures of the outside and inside of mine . You can see for yourself that it looks like his from the outside (it's missing that white dash that Tanas pointed to in the OP as a sign of a fake) but it's different on the inside (and it's real).

(click the thumbnails for full-sized images)

-Bri

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't
faketn1.jpg

and
tt_true_2.jpg

the same ?

The 2nd pic is from the old fake ttds thread.

Bri, yours is like my 2 ttds, which are like the fake 5 pictured.
Guess we got duped by DX
hate2.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mikef, click on the thumbnails at the bottom of my previous post and you can see that mine is not like the "Fake 5" pictured on the inside. Although it looks like the "Fake 5" from the outside, it does NOT look like the "Fake 5" on the inside. Which is what I've been saying all along. Unless you open it, you cannot tell if it's fake. I also didn't get mine from DX.

-Bri

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri,
your right, there are some differences from the fake5.
My cards SD slot look like your pics (the metal is curved, not 45' then flat across), so I guess mine are real too.

Mike

zardoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, you can tell if yours is fake without opening the case. Look down into the SD slot and see if you can see either the two big holes in the SD holder case or the two long prongs. If you can, it's a fake. If you can see the row of tiny slots at the bottom of the holder, then it *may* be a real one. The two holes in the SD holder of the real ones are smaller, but it's those prongs that give the final confirmation.

Regards,

Z.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zardoz, take a look at the pictures I posted of mine. Or look at the one in the DSTT review. Both have two big holes in the SD holder case, but both are real.

Again, you cannot tell from the outside.

-Bri

Mikef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:

-Bri

All the fakes have a metal SD holder with 45' & flat across, while Bri's and mine are curved metal, which can be seen without opening the case.

Mike

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mikef said:
Bri said:

-Bri

All the fakes have a metal SD holder with 45' & flat across, while Bri's and mine are curved metal, which can be seen without opening the case.

Mike

If I'm understanding you correctly, you might be onto something there. The front edge of the SD holders are curved on the real ones while the fakes are all straight. At least this is the case for any that I've seen pictures of (even the "new" fakes with the divot near the SD slot has a straight SD holder). However, it's very difficult to tell that from the outside without opening the case.

HowToTell.jpg

Note that these pictures are only for comparison of the shape of the front edge of the SD holder. Some fake DSTT's look different from the one on the left, and some real DSTT's look different from the one on the right. But as far as I know, all fake carts use the same flat SD holder and all fakes use the same curved SD holder.

Maybe someone has a fake with a curved SD holder or a real one that's straight and can disprove this theory.

-Bri

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Darn it, it really is almost impossible to tell from the outside, since the older real dstt's are similar to the fakes from looking in the sd-slot.... as proven by Bri's pic.

And I don't think it's possible to see the '2prongs' in the sd hole even with a torch, I just put my fake back together and tried, I could'nt see zip.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just modified my previous post to include a picture. You can tell the shape of the front edge of the SD holder from the outside if you look carefully with good lighting, but it's difficult.

-Bri

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, yeh that's probably the best way to tell for the moment. Tanas maybe you could edit the first post to include this info.

I have a couple of DSTT turning up in next few days from DX. it will be interesting to see what I get. If they are both fakes I might try running 1 with 1.15 and the other with 1.16 (the first version).. see what happens, though obviously it won't prove anything conclusively.

Tanas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here is another possible way to distinguish real from fakes.
another2hy5.jpg

Look at the part circled in red on both pictures, and you'll see that the white line on the real one on the left is set back slightly compared to the fake on one on the right which is level with the front of the solder pad of the SD holder.

Look at the fakes here and you'll see they are the way that I described and the same goes for the legit cards.
fakepcb16largehd0.jpg

@Bri, I suspect that yours is like the one on the left?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can look at the pictures of mine that I posted, but honestly I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to here. I can't really see a discernible difference between the two photos you posted, nor can I tell see any white lines in the pictures of the fake cards.

-Bri

Tanas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So you're actually saying that you can't see that the positioning of the lines circled in the pictures are not different? Sorry but you need glasses.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do see a slight difference in the two photographs, but how do you know that no fakes look the same as the one you have labeled "real" or vice versa?

You wrote "[l]ook at the fakes here and you'll see they are the way that I described and the same goes for the legit cards." But you can't see any white lines on the picture of the fakes you posted (other than maybe "Fake 3") so any one of them could look just like the one you labeled "real" above.

In addition, you wrote "and you'll see that the white line on the real one on the right is set back slightly compared to the fake on one on the left" while the picture above it has the real one on the left and the fake one on the right. Very confusing post!

-Bri

Tanas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've now updated the thread with the correct information.

@Bri, You can clearly see the white line on the fake that matters and thats fake 5.

I've also corrected my right from left from my prevous post
smile.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The example you give in the new OP showing the "Fake 5" looks like the white line is set back, as you say only real ones should be. That doesn't make sense.

The shape of the front edge of the SC holder (curved or fake) seems to be a far better indicator of whether the cart is fake or not. See this post: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1584543

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH