Homebrew How to use Cheats with GBA Virtual Console

Did this work for you?

• Total voters

tall guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
After i patched the cheatcodes succesfully on a romhack with GBAATM, the cheatmenu is still not showing when i start the game, any idea why this is?

Reactions: chronoss

chronoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
After i patched the cheatcodes succesfully on a romhack with GBAATM, the cheatmenu is still not showing when i start the game, any idea why this is?
Samething for me but with RetroArch on my PC, it work :(

Mr Nutz (E)_Cheat-200127-180753.png

chronoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
When you patch your rom, check "Trainer menu" section to load the menu on launch. It's important :
5. Under Settings, check Trainer menu.

Scooby_Doofus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was a little leery of this tutorial at first given that it's three years old, but I can happily report that it works! At least on The Legend of Zelda Minish Cap. But, I couldn't get slow motion to work. Pressed L+R+Up and nothing happened. Any ideas?

Also, is there a place to download cheats and/or somewhere that has directions to add more cheats to the .cht file from this guide? I mean cheats beyond what's already on the .cht file.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was a little leery of this tutorial at first given that it's three years old, but I can happily report that it works! At least on The Legend of Zelda Minish Cap. But, I couldn't get slow motion to work. Pressed L+R+Up and nothing happened. Any ideas?

Also, is there a place to download cheats and/or somewhere that has directions to add more cheats to the .cht file from this guide? I mean cheats beyond what's already on the .cht file.
GameHacking.org is still a good resource, but it isn't as easy to browse for GBA codes on it anymore. You can still see all the codes available, just the way they display the different codes when you filter your selection seems broken, at least currently.

Scooby_Doofus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameHacking.org is still a good resource, but it isn't as easy to browse for GBA codes on it anymore. You can still see all the codes available, just the way they display the different codes when you filter your selection seems broken, at least currently.

Thank you for this. I also found that, on Minish Cap, once I pressed...start or select or whatever you press to get to the map and inventory screens, the cheat poofed and I would have to exit out of the game and reapply the cheat. Not that big of a deal but a little disappointing, nonetheless.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for this. I also found that, on Minish Cap, once I pressed...start or select or whatever you press to get to the map and inventory screens, the cheat poofed and I would have to exit out of the game and reapply the cheat. Not that big of a deal but a little disappointing, nonetheless.
Yeah, sometimes cheats produce unexpected behavior when they get patched in like this, or the patching and cheat use causes other unwanted bugs. I've found that it's easiest leaving GBAATM open, test each ROM as I make it in a PC emulator like VBA first, then pack it up into a CIA file or whatever is needed. Saves me a lot of time remaking patched games later.

Okra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to patch Yugioh GX Duel Academy US and when I load the cheat file into GBAATM it crashes...any ideas?

Pkm collector1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did any one made a trainer for pokemon games i cant find codes to work for any trainer maker like 1997 or the lastest one to work@ Arecaidian Fox you know where i can find good codes that works witht he games

Filin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way the codes can be switched on and off during actual gameplay, or is it only before I start the game? I ask because I'm running some codes on Sonic Advance 2, and the game freezes right before i start the Music Plant Zone boss.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did any one made a trainer for pokemon games i cant find codes to work for any trainer maker like 1997 or the lastest one to work@ Arecaidian Fox you know where i can find good codes that works witht he games
Try Codebreaker-formatted codes, they seem to work the most often. GameHacking.org has a good collection of GBA codes, though it's a bit harder to sift out the CB ones these days.

Is there any way the codes can be switched on and off during actual gameplay, or is it only before I start the game? I ask because I'm running some codes on Sonic Advance 2, and the game freezes right before i start the Music Plant Zone boss.
You might want to try using the Enable and Disable key functions.

Maverick_Sigma2012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try Codebreaker-formatted codes, they seem to work the most often. GameHacking.org has a good collection of GBA codes, though it's a bit harder to sift out the CB ones these days.

You might want to try using the Enable and Disable key functions.

I tried that, but no menu comes up. Is one supposed to come up, or will the cheats activate/deactivate on command?

Edit: Apparently, it does work; I just have to wait until the next stage or whatever for the effect to kick in, at least for disabling the codes.

Last edited by Maverick_Sigma2012,
Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have any remade cheats that works for Pokémon games
Can't really help with specific codes, best I can say is that cheats that work for Codebreaker seem to work best with GBAATM and that every game can react to patching differently. For most there seem to be minimal to no issues, other games can suffer crippling slowdown or fairly extreme visual glitches, for example. And quite often, a code will simply seem to not work whatsoever.

Pkm collector1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess for just having wtw code and all the other codes that uses m code would be pointless since some ppl here say that joker codes dont really work for it and that like u say its pointlessmost of the really codes for item and so on uses m codes to work hmm i guess ill just use remix games instead of patching codes for these ones.

Pkm collector1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in emerald the cheats works for cash but the catch to use it is u have to buy an item then tell it back with item shop free it works with me still testing pokeballs at store

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    nah sewing it will make it come apart more :)
    that one is pretty old
    the one on my mercedes is a couple years old. these things don't last very long at all
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you near sea/salt water, or in general they just don't last. Sounds like if you driving a mercedes, you need a garage. I get snow n ice here so nothing worse than clearing that shit off at 6am rushing to get to work.
    I'm a few miles away from the salt water
    +1
    ya I would garage it if there was room in the garage for a car :|
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Immigrants took over your garage? I hate those
    swatters. Or is it Kilos waiting to be picked up by Carlos. Lol jk
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11...