HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it

First things first, I should start by saying that if you have an OLED-specific clone chip you're fine.

Anyways, all HWFLY Lite chips come with Spacecraft v1. For those that don't know, Spacecraft v1 sets certain pins to 5V that shouldn't be set to that on an OLED.

You can find more info in the readme of my application here: https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/payloadchecker

All this application does is check the payload that's currently written and checks it to verified hashes stored in the program.

Steps to follow are:

Boot hekate
Dump BOOT0
Check it on application

If you have a genuine modchip, update it to the latest Spacecraft v2 before you install it into an OLED.

The OLED-specific modchip also comes with broken USB debugging, if you want to fix this issue you will need to write this repaired firmware binary.

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Mena

I have this firmware on my Switch OLED:
https://github.com/KazushiMe/Spacecraft-NX-Mod/releases/tag/0.3.0-mod

is it OK or better V2?
Interesting, didn’t know the firmware could be updated without usb. Am I reading that right? Work around for locked Hwfly maybe?

How to update firmware w/o debug port​

• If you have flashed Spacecraft-NX, you could update the firmware and built-in payload(sdloader) by putting firmware.bin in the root of your SD card.
  • To reflash/downgrade the firmware regardless of firmware version, create a file called .force_update. (Windows users might find it hard to create dot files, just grab one in the archive.)
  • Some might stuck with green LED at boot. Unfortunately, the only resolution is to connect the chip with micro-USB debug port and reset it via serial interface.

Reactions: Infinitum8t

tangerines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi guys, I have an OLED with the SX lite. Does it also have this issue? If so, how can I fix it myself without opening the unit?

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, didn’t know the firmware could be updated without usb. Am I reading that right? Work around for locked Hwfly maybe?

How to update firmware w/o debug port​

• If you have flashed Spacecraft-NX, you could update the firmware and built-in payload(sdloader) by putting firmware.bin in the root of your SD card.
  • To reflash/downgrade the firmware regardless of firmware version, create a file called .force_update. (Windows users might find it hard to create dot files, just grab one in the archive.)
  • Some might stuck with green LED at boot. Unfortunately, the only resolution is to connect the chip with micro-USB debug port and reset it via serial interface.
Doesn't work on locked devices

Reactions: Infinitum8t

james194zt2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't work on locked devices
What magic did you manage to perform with sthetix with a GD-Link? Intrigued myself on how you were able to flash it, is it simply soldering it up and injecting it through the programmer or am I assuming there was more to it than that?

iolo57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What magic did you manage to perform with sthetix with a GD-Link? Intrigued myself on how you were able to flash it, is it simply soldering it up and injecting it through the programmer or am I assuming there was more to it than that?
you can flash the mcu by soldering the programmer directly to the chip, i have used this method several times with sx chips but not yet tested with a hwfly: https://www.sthetix.info/unbricking-the-tx-lite-and-tx-core-modchips-updated-version-easier-to-do/

Reactions: kylum

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can flash the mcu by soldering the programmer directly to the chip, i have used this method several times with sx chips but not yet tested with a hwfly: https://www.sthetix.info/unbricking-the-tx-lite-and-tx-core-modchips-updated-version-easier-to-do/

The OLED chip is reprogrammable via SWD methods. HWFLY Lite is not programmable at all even with SWD

Reactions: kylum and Sandmann

iolo57

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So we need to order a oled chip that comes with the USB port as all the v3s I have seen don't include that.
or hope v3s without usb port are under spacecraft v2, has anyone here ever received the version without usb, could they tell us which version of spacecraft does boot0 contain?

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or hope v3s without usb port are under spacecraft v2, has anyone here ever received the version without usb, could they tell us which version of spacecraft does boot0 contain?
Rather than tell us, give me the BOOT0 so I can add it to the application

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also *cough cough rigged elections cough cough*