I actually bought a "premium account" for a download site.

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
...more specifically FileServe.

Yes; a lot of people here can sympathize with me, downloading huge ISOs (and ROMs) behind those download sites that require you to put in a captcha, then wait some more for your ticket, then download only one part of an ISO at a time for quite a long time with no opportunity to resume the download, then wait some more time until you get a ticket to be able to download another part.

Since I was going to download a lot of ISOs (Wii and PSP), and I recently acquired a PayPal account, I decided to just take the plunge. I bought a 30-day premium account for around $10 on FileServe (since most of the ISOs are hosted there).

So far, I have no regrets. I mean, I can actually download more than one part at time! I got Dokapon Kingdom in around 2 hours (which would have taken about 8 or more the old way)! I am downlading de Blob right now, things seeing that I can have the whole thing before midnight!
yaywii.gif
(By the way, I have around 200 GB of hard drive left, so do not worry.)

If you have a lot to download at once, then this would be worth the dare. (Your results may vary by download site, however.)

P.S. I am going to buy very cheap Dvorak sticker for my keyboard. The "homebrew" ones are wearing out,holes appearing at the "e" and "t" stickers.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great investment if you can't find torrents for most of the games you want.
I only had that problem with PS2 games, and thus bought premium for a site I don't remember that hosted like 10 games I wanted.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
hmm. having a premium account does have advantages. but i prefer to get something with the least possible amount of money.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use Megaupload (non-premium) and torrents to download my games. With MU + Jdownloader I can usually download around 600kb/s (around 3-4 hours for a 360 game) and around 1MB/s with torrents (around 2-3 hours for a 360 game, assuming theres seeders).

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice dude. I personally would rather get into one of those "private trackers" that everyone's obsessing about. I got into one particular site, but the amount of good downloads and seed/peer ratio is about equal with The Penguin Bar. (Idk if saying the names of these is okay, but seeing as I did a search for them and actually got results, I'll assume it's alright.)

neveras

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have megaupload, but it's twofold, I use it to stream tv shows + all of my downloads so it's well worth the couple of bucks a month.

yoitsme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hotfile account with 2 months left but just about all the sites that I use stopped uploading to there since the "increased copyright enforcement" a week ago. I'm debating between fileserve or filesonic. Seems like fileserve is gaining ground in the past week but I also see many links to filesonic on my sites too. Still undecided.

Elvarg

Zyzz™
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yoitsme said:
I have a hotfile account with 2 months left but just about all the sites that I use stopped uploading to there since the "increased copyright enforcement" a week ago. I'm debating between fileserve or filesonic. Seems like fileserve is gaining ground in the past week but I also see many links to filesonic on my sites too. Still undecided.

yeah mega upload is damn fast with downloading with a premium account but files get removed x10times faster on it.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing about buying premium account for one site is it is only good for one site.

FileDownloader.net allows you to buy credits which work with multiple file hosting sites.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
I just use torrents from a private tracker, usually have everything and fast too, the only thing I don't use it for is anime, I have a few sites where I can get MU and MF links plus a few DDLs, so...yeah.

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised no one's mentioned newsgroups.

I pay 11 dollars a month for newsgroups. I've had it for a good... Two years. So I've essentially paid over 200 dollars to pirate!

But, always reliable.
One large site that gets EVERYTHING.
Always maxes your download speed. Always.

I love me some newsgroups.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I download Wii-games from megaupload and use jdownloader to download it without paying attention. There is a guy who is a freaky hippy (this hints to his name) who uploads them. You can find him easily trough google. I hope this doesn't interfere with the rules.. If it does, please remove this..

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I (Well, actually my brother) pay for a newsgroup site. With a free account, you can't download things over a few weeks old, and there's a cap on downloads.

It's $15 a month for more privacy, unlimited downloads with no cap on speed, and downloads on anything on the site.

It's actually amazing. I would never be able to go back to torrents.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
on my free account i do have a cap, but the cap happens to be just slightly slower than my internet speed anyway os not a big deal. but that doesn't matter since i use my sister's free account simultaneously. i have a retention of 400 days.

as an emergency, i pay for a 25gb per year account = 5 bucks with a 750 days retention in case i find something i can't download for free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/Os7f9Se.mp4