Hacking I messaged Nintendo, and this is what I get

AvEnGeR-X

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to email Nintendo and pretended to be a dumb, (understands nothing of how the Wii works etc.) angry customer in Australia who had bought Brawl and freeloader imported. And since this update, freeloader is useless, I asked them why. To see what they say. I got the reply back within 12 hours.
The next message I sent i got the reply within 24 hours.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Original Message ---

Hello, I live in Australia, and I really wanted Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I knew it had been released in America for a month or so, so I bought it from overseas. When I realised it wouldn't work as the Wii isn't region free, I discovered I could buy a 'Freeloader' from Datel. When it finally arrived, I could play Brawl fine. I was happy, until today. When my friends finally got Brawl (as it was released in Australia today) I frantically got my Brawl out again (hadn't played it for a while) to play against them on Wifi. But now, Freeloader does not work
frown.gif
. I can't run Brawl anymore. I only updated my Wii 2 days ago, did that have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance.
AvEnGeR

--- End of Original Message ---

--- Nintendo's Message ---

Hello,

Please note that the Freeloader is not licensed by Nintendo of America Inc., so I'm unable to answer your questions regarding it. Nintendo doesn't support, endorse or recommend using this product.

It may interest you to know that unlicensed products may not work at all with our game systems, and they may have compatibility problems with certain games or accessories. You can recognize licensed products by the Official Nintendo Seal on their packaging. This seal ensures quality and compatibility. For more information, please visit the following address:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/licensed.jsp

Sincerely,

Some random guy.
Nintendo of America Inc.

-----------------------------------------------------I sent this reply for that. They replied this morning. ------------------------------------

--- Original Message ---

Freeloader may not be licensed, but it does nothing of harm, or anything illegal. Why release an update to block it? Innocent people like me, just use it to play import games, you don't lose money over it.

So why would you release an update to block it, if it has already been working? And why not, in the update screen, tell it renders Freeloader useless?

--- End Of Original Message ---

--- Nintendo's Message ---

Hello,

When we release Wii updates, we make sure it's compatible with Nintendo products and licensed products; we don't usually test for unlicensed products. However, we do appreciate your feedback regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Some random guy
Nintendo of America Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to admit. That is some pre-made response they have tucked under their sheets.

pokemongalaxy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow nintendo sucks. They pretended that Freeloader never worked with wii? Its because of their update that has caused freeloader compatibility issues.If you really wanna play Brawl, use the regionfree app that comes with the homebrew channel. That is...ifyou have a chip.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How come whenever I email Nintendo, I never get a reply? Perhaps it's because I have 'CycloDS' in my username.
tongue.gif

AvEnGeR-X

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
pokemongalaxy said:
Wow nintendo sucks. They pretended that Freeloader never worked with wii? Its because of their update that has caused freeloader compatibility issues.If you really wanna play Brawl, use the regionfree app that comes with the homebrew channel. That is...ifyou have a chip.
Lol, read the top of the post I pretended to be an angry customer using freeloader. My wii has geckoOS installed, HBC installed, region free modchip installed. I don;t think regions is much of a problem for me
wink.gif
. Better yet read my Brawl guide lol.

AvEnGeR-X

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
pokemongalaxy said:
oh sorry, I knew you pretended, just didnt know you had gecko!^^
No prob dude. Jeez, we have a lot viewers but not enough opinions. Post your opinions here!

Why won;t peeople listen?
frown.gif
Post what you think!

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
i can *almost* sympathise with Nintendo here -- the bug that enabled the Freeloader to work simply had to be patched anyway.

The Freeloader exploits the signature bug. and any sane company is going to want to patch bugs in their products, especially when it's as serious as this. of course the whole idea of region locking is crap in the first place, but still, this was inevitably going to happen.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
CambridgeGuy said:
i can *almost* sympathise with Nintendo here -- the bug that enabled the Freeloader to work simply had to be patched anyway.

The Freeloader exploits the signature bug. and any sane company is going to want to patch bugs in their products, especially when it's as serious as this. of course the whole idea of region locking is crap in the first place, but still, this was inevitably going to happen.
Bugs are made to be exploited...

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That is similar to my situation, although the updated Twilight Hack is now released. I have an unmodded Wii, and, at the time, only had the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. Until the Twilight Hack was found, I had no intention on buying the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Therefore, the Twilight Hack actually got me to buy another game. I also have no pirated Virtual Console or WiiWare titles on my system. However, because of emulators, and the Wii channels getting hacked, I figured that Nintendo would eventually patch both of those bugs, so people would have more problems installing those hacked channels. I also expect them to patch the new Twilight Hack, along with any homebrew or hacked channel, in the future.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood this whole region thing.

Why doesn't Nintendo want anyone to play games from other countries on their game system, couldn't they make more money if a game was released in Japan and I decided to buy it from Amazon.com and play it on my NTSC Wii, they would make more money, so why do they care.

Why not make the Wii "region free" (so they wouldn't have to take time "3 months" making updates to block "Freeloader") then we can all enjoy the games released at once instead of waiting for them to be released at diffrent times to different countries. Don't they see this just encourage's more people to buy MOD chips so they could play these games.

loopguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think they patched it to prevent people from cheating (modified trucha discs).
and also to block freeloader...

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that the thing that enabled Freeloader was actually a really bad BUG on the Wii and not a feature in any sense....

I mean, patching the System Menu so it deletes Twilight Hack saves is not really fixing a bug, but fixing their signature checking algorithm? Definitely.

You should yell at Datel for claiming they'd update their product if it ever stopped working. Guaranteed compatibility my ass.

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo does region locking for one reason: business. Mario Kart might cost $75 in Japan, $60 in Europa and $49 in America due to difference in economies and cost of living. If they unlock the thing everyone would buy american games only.

If you buy an unlocker, believe me, Nintendo won't like it and with updates they can break this modding devices all the time. What did you expect? Even dvds have been like that, if you wanna get stuff cheaper and faster than your region you need a multiregion player.

Kiljaeden

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Agreed, that it's a business reason. Distribution companies in PAL countries would be extremely annoyed, if there was no region coding and everyone was getting NTSC-U games at a cheaper price. They would lose business and even in the case of New Zealand distribution, lose money.

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
another reason: trucha signed disks can be modified, and can (theoretically) lead to online cheating. something like that happened with PGR2 on xbox, where people modified the values of the cars to allow them to go twice as fast, to cheat in online races.

CPOStudios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
I honestly wouldn't have bothered chipping my Wii if my Wii was region free in the first place. I chipped it to play imported games, but now use it for other things. The joke's on them. I understand why they did what they did, but region locking a console is illogical.

nehe32

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
ridgecity said:
Nintendo does region locking for one reason: business. Mario Kart might cost $75 in Japan, $60 in Europa and $49 in America due to difference in economies and cost of living. If they unlock the thing everyone would buy american games only.

If you buy an unlocker, believe me, Nintendo won't like it and with updates they can break this modding devices all the time. What did you expect? Even dvds have been like that, if you wanna get stuff cheaper and faster than your region you need a multiregion player.

well, then why did nintendo make nintendo DS region free?
to be quite honest, i have no idea why they made DS region free and wii region free except that DS is portable so you would often take it away with you over seas or w.e

hippyharry

Trophies
XP
Country
i personally think that region locking is very strange.

It starts with the DVD with their 6 regions. and although blu-ray has dropped it down to 3 different regions, it still comes down to business really. PS3 dont have region specific gaming so you can buy games anywhere in the world and it will play on any ps3, but im no 100% sure on xbox games if thats the same.

Nintendo should look at the bigger picture here and i dont doubt for a minute that their next console will have region restrictions. It will be lifted.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
well if the wii was region free

they shouldl only release one version of the game (region free too duh) and export it equally and let the country add the taxes to it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...