Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax Media now own iD Software!

QUOTE said:
In an interview with Kotaku, id co-founder John Carmack, id CEO Todd Hollenshead and ZeniMax CEO Robert Altman said the purchase will change none of the principles or principals of id and Bethesda but will allow id to grow like it never has before. The purchase does not affect plans for previously announced games from id that are slated for release through other publishers, including the Activision-backed Wolfenstein and the EA Partners-planned Rage.

Why did id sell?

"We're really getting kind of tired competing with our own publishers in terms of how our titles will be featured," Carmack said. "And we've really gotten more IPs than we've been able to take advantage of. And working with other companies hasn't been working out as spectacularly as it could. So the idea of actually becoming a publisher and merging Bethesda and Zenimax on there [is ideal.] It would be hard to imagine a more complementary relationship. They are tripe A, top-of-the-line in what they do in the RPGs. And they have no overlap with all the things we do in the FPSes."

Hollenshead said ZeniMax's acquisition will allow id to grow its internal teams, staffing up the groups working on the next Doom — which will now be a ZeniMax game — and the Quake Live team, for starters.

The goal, explained Carmack, is for id to handle all of its own IPs. "We can build the pipeline and have a regular pipeline of releases."

Altman described the deal as a "win for fans of id." He said the deal came about when Hollenshead approached him. ZeniMax had been looking to acquire developers and wanted id, but didn't know it was available until approached. The merger had been in the works for months, according to the men on the call today.

In a press release for today's news, Altman laid out a vision for a robust id: "We, along with many others, consider id Software to be among the finest game studios in the world, with extraordinary design, artistic and technical capabilities. They have demonstrated, repeatedly, that rare ability to create franchise properties that are critical and commercial successes. Our intention is to make sure id Software will continue to do what they do best – make AAA games. Our role will be to provide publisher support through Bethesda Softworks and give id Software the resources it needs to grow and expand."

No co-developed games are planned at this time. But, they joked, getting those Fallout bobbleheads into Rage would be fun.

source: http://kotaku.com/5302060/id-software-boug...company-zenimax

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Doom 4 - Oblivion with guns.

I bet John Romero is pissed off right now
smileipb2.png

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow didn't see that coming!

Thing is ID have done shit lately, their last game released was Doom 3 in 2004 and that game has dated real badly. I loved it when it first came out but when I went back to it earlier this year it was kinda boring.

As for Rage...where is it exactly? Even when it does come out, EA have the rights to it.

As much as I admire iD for what they did for PC gaming I'm not sure iD are the best choice of developer to buy, especially seeing that their next game after Rage is Doom 4 and god knows when that'll come out.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can be good for those who want to play games but at least some of these developers still know how to make quality games, Doom 3 was effing hard and Quake 4 was extremely impressive as well. I hope that iD continue to make great games under new ownership and produce more games for various consoles and the PC.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Bioware is merging with Mythic too.

Source

Too many merges in this economic state for my taste. So many big companies are merging lately.
While it could be a way of not dying out, what with being banded together, I just hope it doesn't come down to one company starting to hold way over the actual ones who make a game.

kjean

Trophies
Website
homeless
XP
Country
So now they don't have to buy game engine to create their games?
CockroachMan said:
In 10 years we'll have only 2 or 3 huge game developers in the world.
tongue.gif
You mean 2 or 3 huge game publishers and their subsidiary companies which cloning shovelwares.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
kjean said:
So now they don't have to buy game engine to create their games?
CockroachMan said:
In 10 years we'll have only 2 or 3 huge game developers in the world.
tongue.gif
You mean 2 or 3 huge game publishers and their subsidiary companies which cloning shovelwares.

iD software don't buy engines, Carmack usually codes them.
smileipb2.png

And then Romero buys Carmack's engines to use them in his shitty games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What the hell was that Syl?