• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

If 50% of the world's population needed to die...

What method will you choose?

• Global Lottery (50% chance of death)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offer yourself up to save someone else. (100% chance of death, but 0% chance of the person you choos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dudeonline said:
Here's the scenario...

It's 2015, the world's population is exploding exponentially, and all of the world's governments agree that 50% of the worlds population needs to be exterminated. The only 2 methods of doing so agreed upon are:

1: submitting yourself to a global lottery, where you have a 50/50 chance to live or die, or...

2. offering yourself up to make sure 100% that a person of your choosing will live.

Which will you choose, and why? Only one or the other, you can't make up your own choice.
I know you said we couldn't make up our own choice, but the clear situation is not to live on Earth. Use the TARDIS to leave.

Or alternatively, regenerate.

Mikehoncho16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there should be a choice 3, some kind of Saw-esque trap. But I chose 2, theres a girl that would finally need to know how I feel about her.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
ca_michelbach said:
Wouldn't it be smarter to keep the most useful people? (e.g the smartest)...but anyway since this wasn't a choice, I chose a lottery.
Who cares, the internet would just make them dumz too.

Seriously though...
It'd be best to do selective breeding to make the ultimate human. Humans that would have no family history of heart attacks, cancers, rare and genetic ailments, and strong immune systems.

Having too many smart people would be a problem. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait. What happens to the worlds government?

mellow.gif

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The notion of culling the worlds population is ridiculous. This is the realm of crack pots who you just hope to god can never get there hands on anything powerfull enough to do the job.

The current population levels should be sustainable if we can all just stop being so greedy. We just need to ensure it does not rise much higher through strict policy on how many children we are allowed to have.

Cheaper, cleaner energy would also be a great help to ensure sustainability. Most things can be completely recycled it just takes crap loads of energy to do it properly. At the moment it is 50 -50. You either burn loads of fuel or just let the rubbish mount up. I believe with projects like HiPER and hydrogen fuel cell advances, cheaper cleaner energy should not be too far away.

The gulf leak may have also done some good causing the US government to flex its muscle behind some of these projects. As the saying goes, if you throw enough money at something anything is achievable.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Mantis41 said:
The notion of culling the worlds population is ridiculous. This is the realm of crack pots who you just hope to god can never get there hands on anything powerfull enough to do the job.

The current population levels should be sustainable if we can all just stop being so greedy. We just need to ensure it does not rise much higher through strict policy on how many children we are allowed to have.

Cheaper, cleaner energy would also be a great help to ensure sustainability. Most things can be completely recycled it just takes crap loads of energy to do it properly. At the moment it is 50 -50. You either burn loads of fuel or just let the rubbish mount up. I believe with projects like HiPER and hydrogen fuel cell advances, cheaper cleaner energy should not be too far away.

The gulf leak may have also done some good causing the US government to flex its muscle behind some of these projects. As the saying goes, if you throw enough money at something anything is achievable.

TL;DR who gives a fuck. I didn't ask for solutions to the world's problems, I asked a simple question with two choices. Your reply has nothing to do with this thread. let's keep on track, please.

K

Kane91z

I picked 2 - but in reality I have guns and I would use them against anyone that tried to harm myself or my loved ones

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
It's a simple question. Seriously, You have 2 choices...none of which is "going into hiding" I really don't care about the premise, it was just put there as flavor text. FFS, people.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:

I don't wanna hear that kind of talk from someone who has Kira as an avatar.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
I don't wanna hear that kind of talk from someone who has Kira as an avatar.
Justice plays out in the end. I love Light's character, the way he draws himself into his own psychosis. But, you are right. My comment and avatar would appear to be at odds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • T @ Texasauras:
    what why its worth a shot
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Get you raspberry pi5, and you can play gamecube, wii, and ps2 games also. Those won't
  • T @ Texasauras:
    did you see them on google? preloaded rom consoles
  • T @ Texasauras:
    where is that which one is that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Those preloaded ones are junk. You can Google raspberry Pi and find where they are sold near you, or on amazon.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i don't think my parents will get me a pi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can get older ones even like the pi 3,4 for cheap, but they don't play gamecube, Wii etc very well. Be warned they use a Linux os, which you need to load onto a micro SD card yourself. You can find pre built images like "retro-pie" online free tho which makes it easy to setup.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i don't have my own money
  • T @ Texasauras:
    mannn thats insane, mario on n64
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now you are 15, you can go get a real job, somewhat.
  • T @ Texasauras:
    its like $80 bro lmao
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i'm too young and stupid and i don't have time to work
  • T @ Texasauras:
    it runs on android os
  • T @ Texasauras:
    it looks dope
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get what you pay for. Go ahead and buy one those cheap Chinese units, you will see.
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro have you seen the gfuel instagram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Texasauras why did you start a thread, ignored all the answers there, then come here to chat and ask the same thing. You gotta be like 12, bro
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Biker Mice from Mars needed a Sequel, Angry Hamsters from Uranus
  • T @ Texasauras:
    uh bro i was just asking have you seen these, help me look
  • T @ Texasauras:
    its on amazon
    Download Batocera make it your own
    +1
    If you want GC PS2 Wii stuff like that use a PC
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also use my tv stick to watch YouTube and streaming services
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Psi those play well on the Pi5 now...
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Psi those play well on the Pi5 now...