Gaming If i were download every Every DS Dump...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this today. If I were to download every DS dump out there, how much space would you guys estimate it would take up on a harddrive?
I dont have the slightest idea, and im kinda curious. I want to do it now, but i cant while im at school cause i can only dl 2 gigs a day...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy piss. How much compression can you do with that? And how would you compress them, as something like 7z's?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once you got to the Imagine section a perpetual bluescreen would stop you getting any further.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
BortzANATOR said:
Holy piss. How much compression can you do with that? And how would you compress them, as something like 7z's?
Well trimming the ROMs AND compressing them into RAR files would probably save you atleast a 100GB

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just pretend the internet is your harddrive, that way you'll always have a complete romset.

ninchya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im guessing around 250 gb because some rpgs require alot of memory space....... even if compressed or trimmed

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have all of the DS dumps from 0001 to about 3500, including all the XXXX ones. They're all in .zip format, and they take up a little over 100GB on my hard drive. Considering that over 1000 ROMs have been dumped since the last time I updated my collection, having every ROM (compressed) would probably cost you about 120GB or so.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Densetsu3000 said:
I have all of the DS dumps from 0001 to about 3500, including all the XXXX ones. They're all in .zip format, and they take up a little over 100GB on my hard drive. Considering that over 1000 ROMs have been dumped since the last time I updated my collection, having every ROM (compressed) would probably cost you about 120GB or so.
mellow.gif

That is all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spaces I am not sure about (first 2000 oddly compressed clocks 36 odd gigs if memory serves) but a few points none the less, I could probably generate a complete uncompressed size a dat file (others doing it: import into spreadsheet, sum of bit size from size column and divide by 8- you might have to account for Mbit and Gbit disparity depending on the dat but that is nothing major).

Trimming and compressing is pointless and may cause future troubles if you need to patch roms (nothing major but why cause headaches down the line)- reasoning being you only trim a heavily repeating section (00 or FF) which compresses to nothing anyway (make a file of 00's and compress it). By similar token many roms have long sections of 00's inside them.

7zip and a few things like it compress by data rather than by file- this means if a rom has the same data as another in the set (region dupes, sequels, cookie cutter games which accounts for most of the DS set*) then space savings increase rapidly. Note that doing this can increase extraction times as you have to rebuild that rom from what is essentially a giant database and obviously if you compress each rom individually you lose this. There is a tool somewhere that does region dupes but I have forgotten the name.

*I may not put out that many hacks but I do pull apart hundreds of roms so believe me when I say they have a lot of the same data inside them.

As Hadrian says though use the internet or better yet usenet (people reup complete sets or runs every few weeks) and with the better providers now sporting upwards of 500 days retention.......

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Shiro786 said:
FAST6191 said:
Spaces I am not sure about (first 2000 oddly compressed clocks 36 odd gigs if memory serves) but a few points none the less, I could probably generate a complete uncompressed a dat file (other doing it: import into spreadsheet, sum of bit size from size column and divide by 8- you might have to account for Mbit and Gbit disparity depending on the dat but that is nothing major).

Trimming and compressing is pointless and may cause future troubles if you need to patch roms (nothing major by why cause headaches down the line)- reasoning you only trim a heavily repeating section (00 or FF) which compresses to nothing anyway (make a file of 00's and compress it). By similar token many roms have long sections of 00's inside them.

7zip and a few things like it compress by data rather than by file- this means if a rom has the same data as another in the set (region dupes, sequels, cookie cutter games which accounts for most of the DS set*) then space savings increase rapidly. Note that doing this can increase extraction times as you have to rebuild that rom from what is essentially a giant database and obviously if you compress each rom individually you lose this. There is a tool somewhere that does region dupes but I have forgotten the name.

*I may not put out that many hacks but I do pull apart hundreds of roms so believe me when I say they have a lot of the same data inside them.

As Hadrian says though use the internet or better yet usenet (people reup complete sets or runs every few weeks) and with the better providers now sporting upwards of 500 days retention.......

Your posts have magic in them. I don't know why I'm so intrigued by them.
They're big. They contain a lot of useful info. They're made by FAST. That's all you need to have a good post. Unlike some people on this board *cough*Hatsu*cough*

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently, all the numbered ROMs take up about 118GB on my hard drive. As for XXXX or DSi releases, I only bother with the good ones of those, but I have ALL the numbered ones. And I mean ALL of them.

Dark Blade

Flippin' Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
Currently, all the numbered ROMs take up about 118GB on my hard drive. As for XXXX or DSi releases, I only bother with the good ones of those, but I have ALL the numbered ones. And I mean ALL of them.
That's like 4400 or more right?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
as a collector, I'm also collecting few dumps not numbered or not xxxx'ed
I've a few and old nuked dump (not recent one though, I forgot to keep them), and hardware dump (like flashcards or action replay firmware dump).

a true collector would make a .dat with all the good and nuked dump (like Nago's WiiWare and VC .dat, or oldies like Snes romsets).
(some games where also released multi time from different groups, but share the same crc, that's hard to include in a .dat, but the .nfo are different, or dumped but never numbered (in gba scene, there are chinese game not numbered))

I think I'm still missing a lot of DS dump not numbered from the offlinelist dat. (currently 130GB zipped, I'm using NDScrc which add covers and screenshot though)

So the topic title "every Every DS Dump..." should not only refer to numbered releases.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why the FUCK does anyone want to get all the goddamned roms?

There's no fucking prize awarded for having a complete set, and it means you spent valuable time downloading shit even little girls will tell you is crap.

What's with rabid hoarders? Is your self worth that lame you can only measure it by how much crap you've downloaded?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==