Not open for further replies.

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
So I was working on this puzzle in the game and after 15 minutes I came up with a solution:
3450c9j.png

(this is just a rough drawing I did in Paint)

I submitted this answer and it got rejected. Immediately I wondered what was wrong with this answer so I looked it up at that very page I previously linked to and saw their stupid solution. Clearly they don't follow their own rules of not using the same pin twice. Making a right-angle is using the same pin twice. My solution forms 7 squares and perfectly conforms to their conditions.

This is purely a rant thread of why I win.

Discuss.

Deceptionex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Congratulations, after the game got released in 2008, it took you 2 years to complete. You are a genius. Maybe you spent 2 years trying to figure out why it won't accept your answer?

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
Deceptionex said:
Congratulations, after the game got released in 2008, it took you 2 years to complete. You are a genius. Maybe you spent 2 years trying to figure out why it won't accept your answer?
No, I only just started playing again today. What does the release date have to do with anything?
blink.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Eon-Rider said:
Deceptionex said:
No, I only just started playing again today. What does the release date have to do with anything?
blink.gif
Lol, agreed, I completed this not long after release, but I restarted it a few weeks ago, anyway back on topic, I've noticed a few puzzles that have done that type of thing, I even asked my friends and teachers if my answer would be correct, guess what? They all said YES! And yet Layton or Luke (forget which one, but it was one of them) rejects my answer, checked a guide and was like WTF!!

Deceptionex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
However, I'm afraid it says to make 7 SQUARES, NOT 7 squares and a bunch of useless lines sticking out of the edges. Last time I checked a bunch of lines sticking messily out of the edges are not squares.

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
Deceptionex said:
However, I'm afraid it says to make 7 SQUARES, NOT 7 squares and a bunch of useless lines sticking out of the edges. Last time I checked a bunch of lines sticking messily out of the edges are not squares.
The definition of the verb form is never as strict as you're detailing it to be. You can form an object with anything as long as the result conforms to the expected resultant. As long as it forms squares, which my solution does, it should be right regardless.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Deceptionex said:
However, I'm afraid it says to make 7 SQUARES, 7 squares and a bunch of useless lines sticking out of the edges. Last time I checked a bunch of lines sticking messily out of the edges are not squares.
I don`t think that that is a requirement of a square. As far as I know a square is solely formed by four equal sides and four equal angles. Everything else is purely cosmetic as far as I know. Quadrille paper is also paper, that has many squares on it and they are all formed by straight lines that go beyond the angles of the individual squares...

So this is a very nice solution. I think they should have defined more precisely, that the sides of the squares shouldn`t have any in common but could intersect each other!

Deceptionex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I see. So next time, if we have the correct solution, we can add random drawings next to it. So why not add a purple cow or a detailed painting of your house too? Since the word 'form' isn't that specific, you can add anything you want. Why don't you go ahead and add anything you want?

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
Deceptionex said:
Oh I see. So next time, if we have the correct solution, we can add random drawings next to it. So why not add a purple cow or a detailed painting of your house too? Since the word 'form' isn't that specific, you can add anything you want. Why don't you go ahead and add anything you want?
Aren't you that person who kept trolling people in the Professor Layton 3 thread? Stop being such an obsessive fanboy of the series and admit I'm right.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Some puzzles lost a few tiny but crucial details in translation, and it sometimes pays to ignore half their instructions and just plod on ahead with all solutions you can think of.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Deceptionex said:
Yep, pretty sure your the idiot who kept rick-rolling people in the other thread, anyway you are an idiot and should keep your mouth shut if you have nothing of use to say.

Deceptionex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah, you have me mistaken with someone else. I'm not obsessing, I am just going to continue to suggest that you are wrong.
Actually if I'm going to be like you, I'll start saying there is absolutely no evidence to suggest the lines you drew are parallel and therefore they might not form 90 degree angles, and that voids the question. The question does to suggest that the diagram is to a certain scale, nor does it mention right angles created in anyway. Wow, I think I'm right, because if I draw a rectangle I can pass it off as a square because of it not being to scale.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Deceptionex said:
I'll start saying there is absolutely no evidence to suggest the lines you drew are parallel and therefore they might not form 90 degree angles, and that voids the question. The question does to suggest that the diagram is to a certain scale, nor does it mention right angles created in anyway.
In that case the "correct" solution is wrong too, because it hinges on the pins being at equal distances and forming squares between themselves. But if they're not, the game's solution is incorrect too.

Deceptionex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly my point. According to Eon-Rider's theory, he disproves the correct solution by saying to form a right angle you need to use at least each pin twice. If I am as picky as him, I could suggest that it is impossible, since the game does not say the pins are equidistant nor does it show the intervals formed are right angles. If you wish to nit-pick, I'm sure every single puzzle can cause much controversy and an alternate answer for anything can be debated.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The game says you can't use the same pin twice. But the puzzle's official in-game solution uses the same pin twice. It contradicts its own premise.

Deceptionex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
'Your task is to draw lines between the pins on this board to form seven squares. '
It says nothing about connecting the pins or drawing lines from one pin to another. Between the pins could mean drawing a line perpendicular to the parallel lines connecting the pins. If you want to argue, then you might as well argue that you can completely ignore the pins and the game merely stops you from achieving true lateral thinking.
79809152.jpg

See the game contradicts its on premise by not letting the player ignore the pins completely.

Eon-Rider

OP
Trophies
Website
www.kablooza.co.cc
XP
Country
Deceptionex said:
'Your task is to draw lines between the pins on this board to form seven squares. '
It says nothing about connecting the pins or drawing lines from one pin to another. Between the pins could mean drawing a line perpendicular to the parallel lines connecting the pins. If you want to argue, then you might as well argue that you can completely ignore the pins and the game merely stops you from achieving true lateral thinking.
79809152.jpg

See the game contradicts its on premise by not letting the player ignore the pins completely.
There's a difference between an unwritten rule and a non-existent rule. The game itself stops you from doing that, which I'm sure you're aware of.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The fact remains that Eon Rider's solution fits the premise. Lines drawn between pins, that form seven squares. It never says the pins have to be the tips of the squares, only that the lines have to shape seven squares. In this puzzle, lines form shapes even if they don't start and finish at the points of those shapes.

My point is, with the small space for text, instructions for some puzzles are left too vague and allow for multiple perfectly valid solutions, and then the game only allows one and rejects the others as incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: closest ive done is getting to target a couple hours early in the moring to get some amiibos.