Hardware inter grade graphics cards for gaming (help)

notrustinsasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a laptop with intel graphics hd 4400, what is the best thing to do to improve gaming performance other than cleaning your pc, deleting unnecessary files, and updating my computer. the only thing I know of is upgrading the graphics card but its not possible with inter graded cards. I also heard of external video card docks but i don't know if their wort-it or if it even change gaming performance. Plus i dont really know what a external video card is or how you make it work so if anyone can explain it will be appriciated.

Does anyone know how to improve my gaming performance other wise?

SPECS

Processor

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
Memory
16GB
Hard Drive4
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card
Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Display
17.3 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD+ resolution (1600 x 900)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
You're better off getting a laptop tailored for gaming, to be honest... Something with a mid-range AMD or GeForce card shouldn't set you back more than $1,500 or so.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only real thing you can do, other than installing the rare optimization/lower-end tailored mods for specific games, is to run your games in as low a resolution as you can stand.

Or you could try and sell your laptop, and work some extra hours to make up the price of admirable gaming desktop. As long as you don't spend your earnings, it wouldn't take long to get a basic rig.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whilst Intel graphics have made long strides into becoming respectable for gaming (for integrated graphics cores at least), they're still not meant for gaming. Sure it can run Crysis, but not at high settings. The same story carries into other games - it can run, but not at high settings.

The two "solutions" are to get a discreet GPU installed (not viable for laptops as it involves ones compatible with expansion card slots, tends to be more expensive than they're worth), or play at low/lowest settings.

In future, when looking at laptop specs for gaming, make sure you can see what chip they're using for graphics. If they're not mentioned or it's Intel, then it's not meant for gaming (gaming laptops always show off their discreet graphics technologies).

notrustinsasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally planned to buy a laptop with a 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 740M video card for $900 but for some F****** I decided to buy this below average performance computer I have now.

oh well I guess I'll have to wait for either Cyber Monday or Black Friday to get a new laptop until then I guess I'll have to endure this laptop for a while.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a suggestion before you give up on playing games with this thing: Try going into the BIOS settings of your laptop and allocate as much RAM as you can to the graphics. It won't be as good as a laptop with dedicated graphics, but considering that laptop manufacturers seem to be keeping it on the minimum setting by default, you should get a noticeable performance boost after bumping it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yep most here in Ohio say pop. Oh oh yea I mean North Korea