Hacking Is a Metroid Prime Trilogy channel possible?

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've made channels for all my favorite games to put on my home screen, all except Metroid Prime Trilogy. I could easily make a channel for it that would launch one game by configuring it to launch an alternate dol, but I play more than 1 game on that disk. Is there any way I could make a channel for it that would launch to a selection screen where I would choose which alt-dol to load?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
You should be able to do this using Cfg as your launcher. Set the options so that alt_dol = disc and Cfg should pause during the boot sequence and ask you which game to play (although I might not be correct here as I'm not 100% sure the menu will show when direct launched).

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
You should be able to do this using Cfg as your launcher. Set the options so that alt_dol = disc and Cfg should pause during the boot sequence and ask you which game to play (although I might not be correct here as I'm not 100% sure the menu will show when direct launched).
That requires that the disc be in the DVD drive...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Gordinio said:
Dr. Clipper said:
Learn what the alt dol disc method is before making baseless arguments. It uses the disc image on your USB drive, not a physical disc. I can't believe there are still people that don't know this...

Anyway, the option to configure should be alt_dol=disc and that's it.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Gordinio said:
Dr. Clipper said:
Learn what the alt dol disc method is before making baseless arguments. It uses the disc image on your USB drive, not a physical disc. I can't believe there are still people that don't know this...

Awesome, that worked perfect! Thanks!

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Gordinio said:
Dr. Clipper said:

Ummm...alt-dol from disc looks for dols from the disc, doesn't it?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Gordinio said:
In a way, yes, as you have a copy of the disc on your drive. That is the 'disc' being referred to. There is actually no alt dol method I know of in any loader that goes to a disc in the DVD drive to find .dol files. The needing a disc thing is a myth perpetuated by people who never bothered reading what the technique was and just made up their own assumptions from the name.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Gordinio said:
In a way, yes, as you have a copy of the disc on your drive. That is the 'disc' being referred to. There is actually no alt dol method I know of in any loader that goes to a disc in the DVD drive to find .dol files. The needing a disc thing is a myth perpetuated by people who never bothered reading what the technique was and just made up their own assumptions from the name.
I believe that's what the alt-dol from disc option did with old versions of Neogamma (I could have sworn I could hear the DVD drive spinning up; haven't used it since R5)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Gordinio said:
I believe that's what the alt-dol from disc option did with old versions of Neogamma (I could have sworn I could hear the DVD drive spinning up; haven't used it since R5)
I guess it is possible, as I never did actually test that with Neogamma, but for Cfg, we used the same alt dol disc code from NeoGamma on or around the same day as WiiPower released it and it definitely didn't go to the disc in the DVD slot at that time.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
I thought when they asked about it looking for the disc in the drive that they were talking about how some games require a disc to be in the drive (which was metroid prime 3, not trilogy, now that I've looked into it) - which is automatically patched in cfg (the one that disable_dvd_patch disables).

I never imagined that people would think that you need the actual disc in the dvd drive for alt-dol, lol!

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's the exact reason the alt dol from disc option was renamed in GX, to avoid confusion.
I don't know what it's called now though (If they didn't rename it back...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk