Misc Is exFAT still problematic?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since my card is on exFAT atm can it be seamlessly converted into FAT32 without losing any data (like just convert and not format) or do I need to backup all the data somewhere else first, format the card to FAT32, and then move the backup data back to the card?

Also can installed games on a exFAT card be higher than the 4GB limit that FAT32 has in the sense that when a game is installed they can turn into a single file larger than 4GB or the installation process will always make sure to install in chunks smaller than 4GB regardless if the source file was bigger than 4GB?

Anyway, is there any homebrew that by nature will only work under FAT32 and not exFAT?
U have to format and there is no file bigger then 4GB used on the switch

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aslong you avoid Homebrew that involves of dumping large files exfat will be ok. A good combo would have Emunand as SD files to easily make a backup of it incase a homebrew fails and screws up your SD card. But the safer way is Fat32, if you want to use exfat my biggest suggestion is to make sure you backup your emunand when making big changes or getting alot of new content.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Aslong you avoid Homebrew that involves of dumping large files exfat will be ok. A good combo would have Emunand as SD files to easily make a backup of it incase a homebrew fails and screws up your SD card. But the safer way is Fat32, if you want to use exfat my biggest suggestion is to make sure you backup your emunand when making big changes or getting alot of new content.
Streaming homebrew corrupted my SD once, don't think it writes files a lot

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Streaming homebrew corrupted my SD once, don't think it writes files a lot
If your streaming from the SD card its probably due to alot of load on the SD card. To be more blunt the safest homebrew to use with exfat are save managers. Just updating your cheats from an app can corrupt exfat if it crashes while downloading, so you have to get those manually via PC

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Since my card is on exFAT atm can it be seamlessly converted into FAT32 without losing any data (like just convert and not format) or do I need to backup all the data somewhere else first, format the card to FAT32, and then move the backup data back to the card?
Option two. There is no such thing as "converting and not formatting" a data partition to another format (hint: it's in the name).

Also can installed games on a exFAT card be higher than the 4GB limit that FAT32 has
Yes, but on a FAT32 partition they can also...
in the sense that when a game is installed they can turn into a single file larger than 4GB
No, because an installed game is not a single...
or the installation process will always make sure to install in chunks smaller than 4GB regardless if the source file was bigger than 4GB?
Okay, do you think that installing a game is just copying a .nsp file to a folder? That's not the case. Think of the big files you install as archives, either compressed (.nsz, .xcz) or uncompressed (.nsp, .xci). Installing a game is akin to extracting that archive, which basically contains a bunch of .nca files, into your Switch's internal storage or an SD card. No .nca file is ever going to be larger than 4GB. Why? Because Nintendo officially supports using a FAT32-formatted SD card, and it's not very "officiallysupportish" of them to distribute a game that can't be installed on a FAT32-formatted SD card. Also, it doesn't make much sense from a development standpoint either. So don't worry about that.
Anyway, is there any homebrew that by nature will only work under FAT32 and not exFAT?
It's not about whether it will "work" under exFAT. It's more like playing Operation. Eventually, some software is going to make that poor patient's nose go red as Rudolph's, and though it's Nintendo's fault for shipping a shitty driver, you're the one that's going to lose his data. So it's best not to risk it.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It have a higher chance of corrupting. Over all the Exfat filesystem is like this. But Nintendo's Exfat driver is a bit more wonk than others (sadly).
But if you use it normally, you're probably fine.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One would think if the fault is on the Nintendo driver, the CFW geniuses would make a driver of their own to fix the issue... or is it just not possible?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main use case for exFAT over FAT32 is some level of piracy and the atmosphere devs are not going to spend long hours working for that cause.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just keep a separate fat32 card for retroarch.
Been using exfat for years and never had a problem, xci's, ftp, ect.

Reactions: BigOnYa

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main use case for exFAT over FAT32 is some level of piracy and the atmosphere devs are not going to spend long hours working for that cause.
False information. You have no idea what you are talking about. Fat32 is used more for piracy than exfat just because of the simple fact that everyone continuously recommends fat32. Exfat is used more for official firmware because it's what Nintendo recommends. You have it backasswards

Reactions: Chaosta

Chaosta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exfat is trash on the switch, so much proof out there. literally no benefit to running exfat over fat32. and before someone says "DrAg FiLeS LaRgER tHaN 4gigs" if your installing games by dragging the file to sd card, youre doing it wrong to begin with.

Reactions: Shadow#1

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Used exFat for about 2 years without any problems.
Then judgement day came and gone was my entire SD card.
My Switch froze and the only way to turn it off was to hold the power button down for 15 seconds.
That might have corrupted the SD card.

Reactions: Shadow#1

MrGribble77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using exfat since the switch was first able to be modded. Never had issues with corruption and right now im using a 512GB SD card.. I'd use exfat if you really want big mod files bad enough, my skyrim mods have files that exceed 4GB easily.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bricked a 128gb samsung sd card using exfat on my switch my data on the card corrupted and i tried to format it with minitool with windows and like three other formatting tools and they all gave errors and would not format.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
The piracy stuff is bullshit.

DrAg FiLeS LaRgER tHaN 4gigs
The funny thing is, we have usb installation. But it seems, no one knows about that feature.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tbc the problem with exFAT also happens on all un-modded Switch or is it just a CFW thing?
If it also happens on OFW I wonder why Nintendo didn't fix the driver already, do they expect the CFW guys to fix it for them or something?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==