Hacking Is it possible to scale down the UI of a game? (Dissidia 012)

Niosai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on a Dissidia 012 texture pack right now, and while I've made a lot of progress, the best thing anyone could ever do for playing that game on a large screen would be somehow resizing the battle UI to be smaller. Obviously, the UI is huge because the PSP's screen was so small. Does anyone have any advice, or is there any resource I can consult as far as resizing a game's UI goes? I'm not much of a modder, let alone hacker/programmer, so I don't even know where to start.

Of course, if this would be massively complicated, I won't even bother lmao. It's mostly that it would be really cool to be able to do this, but it's not explicitly necessary.

Niosai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, I accidentally posted this in the wrong section. Sorry! I'm gonna self-report my post.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and no, and while I can not be certain it will be complicated I would generally bet on it.
Tutorials wise it tends not to be done outside of PC games needing widescreen patches or similar. https://www.wsgf.org/ then being a start there (today they do more but wsgf was once short for widescreen gaming forum back when widescreen was more of a novelty). PC stuff can still get down and dirty with code but more of it is settings based where console stuff... you are going to be fiddling with code.

The very same things that allow people to expand UI to get more text on the screen, change transparency, change text border layout... will happily cut the other way and allow you to make things smaller, reposition then or otherwise change things. If it is straight graphics (UI can be, though it can also be its own take on a text engine) then you might also be able to play graphics editor and shrink things down that way.
Otherwise yeah you get to be fiddling with text position, what and where the mapping format for the background graphics is found and all the rest of the stuff people expanding for translations, repositioning UI windows for their own purposes, removing portraits, altering fonts, creating things like variable width fonts and all the rest will be doing which, other than taking say a graphics representation of a whole word/button and making things transparent in places and otherwise smaller as a matter of simple graphics editing, will be in the realms of big boy hacking.

Reactions: GaiusSavarin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3