Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
SpongeFreak52 said:
oneleggedjack said:
does anyone else keep coming back to gbatemp every 5 mins waiting for the release? It's like staring at a clock, time just seems to be slowing down.... I think I'll just sleep all day so when I wake up there might be an update, kinda reminds me of christmas...
I just realized that I really am. Every time I switch over to this tab, I find myself pushing refresh, looking for a new post in a USB ISO Loader-related thread. xD

Don't expect anything exciting to happen now. It's 1:16am now Europe. Waninkoko is probably sleeping.

invu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stroganoff said:
invu said:
I am quite curios about the filesystem(WBS - maybe as in "Wii Backup System" ?) waninkoko is talking about. I wonder why he accepted all the work instead of implement an linux filesystem ext2 or the like. That would have had the advantage of compability with a PC system. At least for Linux users.
A proper ISO loader should definately support ext2 at the least, because it's free and stable and there are very good drivers both for Windows and Mac (and Linux of course).

ext2 for windows:
http://www.fsdriver.org

ext2 for mac:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

It also works with ext3 due to downwards compability.
ACK

Maybe there is some advantage in writing your own filesystem, or waninkoko just wanted to do that once...

But the downside is, that many people will have usb devices lying around which only can backups.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's where partitions come into play!
smile.gif

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:
You do know this isn't real and is a prank right?
What's a prank the USB Loader? or WBS?

Both of them.

Isn't it funny how his account got hacked, then the leaked version doesn't work, and its right near April 1st?

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
Filter said:
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:

Both of them.

Isn't it funny how his account got hacked, then the leaked version doesn't work, and its right near April 1st?

I'm skeptical whether or not his gbatemp account was really hacked. It did cause alot of attention about the project. The leaked version doesnt work because its only part of the puzzle. If you want to make an Aprils Fools joke, then you would make it on April 1st. And Marcan also proved that a USB HDD ISO Loader can work. I doubt those two are in cohoots on an April Fools Joke

Valgreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Filter said:
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:

Both of them.

i would think that IF all this came out on the first.

but seeing how marcan has also proved this is possible, i highly doubt this is a fake..

i dont think wani would do something like that which could possibly damage his rep in the scene..

EDX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Filter said:
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:

Both of them.

My feelings exactly. If the whole story about the hacker was true, where did the loader with the funny title and picture come from? Did the "hacker" have access to the source or something to create a new executable or something? I have my own theory on the matter but it's a little too off topic. I'm getting the feeling that this is just a joke, but I still see a chance that the loader may be real. We'll just have to wait and see.

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valgreen said:
Filter said:
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:

Both of them.

i dont think wani would do something like that which could possibly damage his rep in the scene..

Its called a April Fools prank.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
Filter said:
Valgreen said:
Filter said:
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:

Both of them.

Its called a April Fools prank.

ITS NOT APRIL!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adr990 said:
Though... I think BootMii will block piracy..
I'm fine with that...
smile.gif
I am not a "pirate" so...

But good Job wanky and Marcan on the USB ISO(war)Loader...
rolleyes.gif

WRONG!

QUOTE@Cygoku:
Blocking piracy software is a slippery slope. There’s no trivial way of differentiating between warez apps and regular homebrew from HBC’s perspective. In fact, there is essentially no technical difference between HBC itself and a pirated VC title. The details are somewhat involved, but the main premise is that if you can run code, and you can extract the plaintext code and data of pirated games, you can run those too. Of course, this doesn’t take into account the difficulty of accomplishing that. Our objective is therefore to strike a balance between enabling homebrew with as many features as possible, and doing as little work as possible for the warez users. This is, for example, why we’re focusing on new Starlet functionality without IOS (e.g. USB2 on BootMii) instead of stuff like the IOS module toolkit and the new IOS USB2 module. The latter are interesting from a technical, hacking, and homebrew perspective, but it’s also doing work for the pirates which depend on IOS. The developers behind piracy tools tend not to be nearly as good at true reverse engineering and writing “new” stuff as the homebrew developers. The first DVD warez launcher had little new code, and it was just a combination of existing tools (IOS module toolkit and example, existing GameCube DI code, and existing PPC-side game launching code). The first VC/WiiWare installers came out after I added ES functionality to libogc (I regret doing that now). I’ll admit that WiiGator’s warez launcher surprised me - he does actually seem to know what he’s doing on the IOS side, at least moreso than Waninkoko.

And yes, it’s also that blocking piracy is just not our job. Using a single security system for several purposes is bad security design. We try to break “just enough” of the security to enable homebrew without piracy, but Nintendo really should have made the gap wider than it is now. PS3 Linux proves that homebrew without piracy is possible (although they restrict 3D access, but I suspect that’s to restrict unlicensed developers more than piracy). Even having some sort of way of getting homebrew on the Wii with full peripoheral access except for the NAND (and no IOS, which games require) would go a long way towards enabling homebrew without piracy on the Wii. We can’t do that; Nintendo has to (unfortunately, it doesn’t look very plausible given the current hardware design).

nehe32

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
feidhlim1986 said:
Filter said:
oneleggedjack said:
Filter said:

Both of them.

I'm skeptical whether or not his gbatemp account was really hacked. It did cause alot of attention about the project. The leaked version doesnt work because its only part of the puzzle. If you want to make an Aprils Fools joke, then you would make it on April 1st. And Marcan also proved that a USB HDD ISO Loader can work. I doubt those two are in cohoots on an April Fools Joke

I'm skeptical about his account getting hacked for one reason...when 'waninkoko' posted the thread that was like "this is what you get" there was a version of the backup launcher made that had all those graphical changes and what not. how could someone who hacked his account get the source code and edit it accordingly and then release it besides waninkoko? :S

maybe i missed something, but that was the first thing i thought

EDIT: sorry, didnt see the post on the previous page
tongue.gif

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i hope this works with Wii ISOS as well as GC ISOS. as well as online play.
smile.gif

then were set, nothing else ever has to be released again (along these lines) except updates.

guilleart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Cuber said:
kakis said:
oneleggedjack said:
i'm pretty sure april 1st is below Wani, plus do they even celebrate that in Spain?

yes but december 28th

QUOTE(oneleggedjack @ Mar 30 2009, 02:30 AM)
seriously?
wacko.gif

No, they don't on December 28th.. it's on April 1st like everywhere else.
AFAIK Here in Mexico and in Spain (dunno if they do it in another countries) we have "El dia de los Santos Inocentes" on December 28th and it's the equivalent festivity for April's Fools.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3