Hardware I've been trying to order a PS5 for my kid's xmas for weeks!

AceX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everywhere I'm reading that bots are buying them all up and then they're being sold on Ebay and the likes for £1500. I would never pay that for a console, and people that do are just encouraging this shit.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can order one without being extorted?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I managed to snag one for "only" a 50% markup, and that's probably the best anyone can do before the beginning of next year unfortunately. Most of the scalpers are selling at a 100% markup, even more than that for the digital edition in many cases.

Try Craigslist and local OfferUp.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
If you can't get them anywhere online, it might be worth asking around in some local shops. They should tell you over the phone if they have any and if they don't, they might let you reserve one for when they get a new batch.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
At this point, you probably won't be able to snag one before Christmas unfortunately, from what I can tell UK retailers are all basically 100% sold out until after Christmas.

But your best bet would be to follow smileyhead's advice, call in to your local retailers and see if any of them happen to have some coming in stock soon.

Something you can also try is importing one from the US, stores here are getting stock much more frequently than elsewhere in the world, though this will likely bump prices over MSRP for you but it definitely won't be as much as shit scalpers. One good option would be to invest in one of those parcel forwarding services for US->UK, and then camp out on this page: https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/ < and refresh the comments every now and again. There are tons of people who camp out basically every site and will make a comment when something goes live before any of the trackers send their notifications, so sometimes you can manage to slip in before bots take the site down and get one.

Another option related to the above is camping out on Sony's Playstation Direct page, you'll need a US PSN account and shipping address (hence parcel forwarding service), then just login to the site with your US PSN account, setup an auto-refresh extension for every 2 minutes, and then hope and pray you get into their queue system the second they go live with it so you're early enough in to get one in stock. It's how I managed to snag my own PS5, and it's basically the only site I know of that actually implemented some kind of anti-bot protection that works (after fixing a couple glitches, anyways)

Reactions: smileyhead

AceX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.
I think I'll try camping out on that site now and then. My son doesn't have his hopes up and knows he's due one after xmas if he doesn't get one. All of his friends from school are in the same boat, so maybe not as disappointing as he's not alone.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'll try camping out on that site now and then. My son doesn't have his hopes up and knows he's due one after xmas if he doesn't get one. All of his friends from school are in the same boat, so maybe not as disappointing as he's not alone.

Keep your eyes on nowinstock I guess if you don't want to pay a scalper.

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Just
let him keep official ps5 price money in his room until he buys it.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You'd probably be better off hanging out in front of an actual store. I was sitting in the car yesterday waiting for my mother who went in to the store to get a switch lite for my kids. When I saw someone walk out with a PS5. I quickly went in and asked the clerk at the counter if they had anymore to which they replied no, then a worker from out back came and put the last one on the shelf. I quickly snagged it instead of the switch lite. It was a close call though as my mother was next in line and almost missed it.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speaking of UK i read parlament is passing a slew of laws to attack the situation at different angles (from forcing ebay to take down scalping listings and putting using bots for scalping as a cybercrime

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad at least some govt is doing something about it, thats the only way you can stop them at this point, I would probably go after the bot makers instead, they all use subscription services, so you can just shut down their servers and the bots wont work anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I might download rayman revolution for my ps3