Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MIOS doesn't lock any hardware at all.
Making a GC USB loader isn't that impossible at all, the main problem is that GC games directly access the DI hardware registers, so a loader must patch the read functions of a game for the whole thing to work.
But that is not really a big problem but it will require some work so get it working with many games since function patterns change.
If it is so easy why isn't there a GC USB Loader already you wonder? Well how many people are there who are skilled enough AND would make one public? maybe two? wanin kinda quit so he won't make one dunno about the whole hermes thing.
But who would want to make one to end up getting endless complains about not working games and so on and remember all do it for free, did you ever donate anthing to the author's who probably saved you 100s of dollars?

and remember that's what I think, if you don't agree that's fine.
the first part is a fact though
wink.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
VashTS said:
we all should start working on converting GC isos to Wii isos. all we have to do is contact the developers of the games, get the source, and rewrite the entire thing! brilliant.
rofl2.gif

A perfect plan, indeed. I can already see how that would turn out.
tongue.gif

guy: Nintendo programming department. How may I help you?
Wever: Hi. I'm wondering whether you guys want to mail me the source code of all gamecube games you ever made. And if possible, any source code from 3rd software vendors as well.
smile.gif

guy: erm...I'm sorry, but we're not an open source company. We don't just hand out our source code here.
Wever: oh. Well...and what if I ask it politely? I'd be very grateful if I could have it.
smile.gif

guy: I...don't think so. Besides...what are you going to do with it?
Wever: I'm going to whine to every coder in the hacking community to port it to the wii.
guy: but...gamecube games already work on the wii!
wacko.gif

Wever: I know...but they don't have USB-support. I want to play them from my USB-drive.
guy: what? But...we...nintendo doesn't support loading games from USB.
Wever: I know. and it's a damn shame, 'cuz games load much faster that way. Well...wii games, that is. That "Gamecube mode" of yours shuts down the USB ports. And as far as I understand, there's no way to code around it.
guy: so...you want to use the source code for all our games to port it to a platform that already has backward compatibility with the original...so you can have a feature we don't even support?
Wever: YES!!!
yay.gif
But hey...I don't care so much that I can't call helpdesk to aid me in getting it to run. I've got gbatemp to fix me any problems I might encounter.
cool.gif

guy: I...see. Have you considered upgrading to 4.2?
Wever: as a matter of fact, I did. But that just removed all my homebrew. In fact, I'm considering sueing you guys for that.
glare.gif

guy: ...
Wever: but hey...I'm not going to do that 'cuz you guys make awesome games. I'll tell you what: you give me the all those source codes, and I'll drop the lawsuit. How about that?
biggrin.gif

guy: you DO know that homebrew is illegal, right?
Wever: no it isn't. It's only illegal if you play backups you don't actually own.
smile.gif

guy: ...and you have all gamecube games ever made?
Wever:
unsure.gif
erm...YES!!
smileipb2.png
I erm...I'm one of those spoiled little rich kids you hear so much about.
guy: ...right. Nonetheless, I'm afraid I can't help you.
Wever: but...why not?
guy: does the term "user agreement" mean anything to you? Or "copyright law"?
Wever: oh...you mean like that annoying health screen? Yeah...I've heard about it. Why?
guy: sir...I'm hanging up now.
Wever: but...wait!
guy: *click*
Wever: damn.
mad.gif
I guess I'll have to nag some more at the community to get that gamecube USB-loader.

(sorry about the off-topic-ness of this joke. I'm just not skilled enough to contribure
frown.gif
).

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found this old thread at wiibrew forums that goes against what i belived about the usb in gc mode capabilities http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?9,4580
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzVpo5IPdM which is a gc game using wii speed so crediar has acomplished access to wii hardware in gc mode what it seems like to me
the problem is getting the di commands to read from usb instead of the dvd which sounds easy but really isn't and i believe that why this hasn't been done is that there aren't that many people who still play their gc games and its alot of work for a small reward
any hacking greats out there wanna tell me where im wrong

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
@SanGor:

I think that patching won't be the biggest problem. We know (or think we know) that MIOS doesn't disable any hardware, if I remember correctly, bushing or marcan once said that MIOS was very similar to the GameCube IPL, except that it implements some compatibility patches for certain games.
MIOS probably doesn't do anything to the hardware, but we know that GameCube homebrew doesn't have any access to Wii hardware in GameCube mode. So it must be that piece of magic - BC - about which we don't know much, unfortunately - that underclocks the Wii and disables the extra hardware. I'm not certain of it, but I believe even bushing or marcan said it went something like this. If this is true, BC is our main problem. If the GameCube mode is actually a hardware feature, which is possible, then it's going to be much more difficult, maybe even impossible, like WiiPower said.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Slimmmmmm said:
crediar hacked BC before, but only to overclock the cpu speed in "GC mode"
So pretty much, if someone who has some extreme coding ability decides they're willing to risk completely (and possibly without the hope of fixing) trashing their Wii, and they can work out how to modify the BC to not lock out any hardware, and redirect all the calls to the appropriate hardware from the game, we MIGHT get USB loading.
My hopes are dead in the water
biggrin.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
toejam316 said:
Slimmmmmm said:
So pretty much, if someone who has some extreme coding ability decides they're willing to risk completely (and possibly without the hope of fixing) trashing their Wii, and they can work out how to modify the BC to not lock out any hardware, and redirect all the calls to the appropriate hardware from the game, we MIGHT get USB loading.
biggrin.gif

No one needs to take any risks like that if they have an infectus.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
toejam316 said:
Slimmmmmm said:
biggrin.gif

what about that all people without a clue shut up?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Us clueless people tend to talk about it a lot since there is little information from those who actually know what they're talking about. Heck, I'm imagining that messing with BC might be a bit easier now with SNEEK to toy around in, but again, that's my cluelessness leading me to believe that.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SanGor said:
toejam316 said:
Slimmmmmm said:
biggrin.gif

what about that all people without a clue shut up?

How do we learn without having our stupid questions shot down so well?

Anyhows, wouldn't messing up BC only ruin GC mode and be fixable with a wad? And wouldn't half the trick be convincing boot2 that it has being called by BC even though the right flags haven't been set?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SanGor said:
the main problem is that GC games directly access the DI hardware registers, so a loader must patch the read functions of a game for the whole thing to work.

There are loaders that have already done this in gamecube mode, which work to an extent.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
The problem with noob questions is that it makes people believe and hope something is possible.
Thing is, people who would eventually be able to do that :
1) already knows perfectly what can be done and what can not be done
2) don't need noobs harassing them with obvious requests or suggestions based on primary school knowledge/beliefs

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
myspacee said:
and an SD approach ?

http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html

GC can access to sd via memory card, wii jump down in GC mode, and use sd as iso 'repository'.

m.

yes, this is called SD-Boot and is made by emukiddid

QUOTEI like also idea to 'inflate' GC game into Wii iso, anyone try to run GC .dol inflated into wii iso ?

do you really think that if things were so easy, nobody would have think about this before ? What does even "inflated" means for you ?
don't want to be mean but if you want to give suggestions & ideas, at least have some minimal knowledge about computer programming & hardware stuff.

M

myspacee

Jacobeian you are so rude
smile.gif

i've some knowledge, part of my job is migrate old windows installation from old hardware to new one.
Inflating scsi/sata driver in windows registry off-line is enough for you ?

be gentle please with noobs like me, this is a forum, a place where people talk.

Hear a lot of times 'it's impossible' but often someone release impossible things

don't want to flame, only talk.

m.

Skarface05

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I do understand where Jacobeian is coming from tho...

A lot of people tend to comment on things that they do not know anything about, but it's written in a way where a number of people " could " end up believing that to be the case.

Whereas it takes someone who does have the correct knowledge to take the time to post and then explain what is correct/not correct.

Just my 2 pence...

icyrainz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii has a D3-2 drive, so officially I don't have any chance to play GameCube backup games ! Poor me !

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skarface05 said:
I do understand where Jacobeian is coming from tho...

A lot of people tend to comment on things that they do not know anything about, but it's written in a way where a number of people " could " end up believing that to be the case.

Whereas it takes someone who does have the correct knowledge to take the time to post and then explain what is correct/not correct.

Just my 2 pence...
Right. But I think it would be time well taken since you can at least stall some rumors that way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was listening to the Ice T Iceberg CD other day, good stuff
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    i concur
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    power is my fave tho, masterpiece
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still waiting on that new ll album
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    steve miller band got me into rock from folk and country
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    fly like an eagle
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You guys ever heard of group out of detroit called "Top Authority"? They were good too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guess this is the power of genres they make you talk about other artists
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What are you guys talking about?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hamsters
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People that do drugs
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I been listening to a f-ton of jrock and jpop lately
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    mainly a lot of go!go! and cibo matto
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lil' hamster yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Big hamster yawn
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop stealing his sayings
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, svebe
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sometimes when I poop I just think that's it?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The worst is when its a dry poop, then you spend 20 minutes and ha!f a roll of TP wiping. Its like wiping TP over a magic marker, just won't stop showing.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, or diarrhea
    +2
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :shit: is :shit: +1