Lunar Knights cheats stop working during gameplay

HeWhoSucksBlood

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to replay through Lunar Knights so I can get to the post game tower thing, something I was never able to finish back in the day. To make things easier until then I was using cheats for infinite health and energy and it was working flawlessly. I have tried many times over the years to do another playthrough using these cheats, each time using a different platform (original hardware, flashcard, 3ds firmware, emulation, etc.) and each time running into the same exact problem. When I got to the sewer level (or any level with instant game over death pits trust me I've checked) however I get to a screen where the cheats seemingly shut themselves off. Now, I'm assuming this is due to there being instant game over pits you can fall into in this room and its conflicting with the cheats somehow. What I want to know is why? Why do the cheats need to completely deactivate? Were they made that way on purpose so as to not create some kind of crash if I do end up falling into the death pit? If that's the case why doesn't the infinite energy cheat continue working? Even the invulnerability cheat refuses to work in these kinds of rooms. Could I get versions of these cheats that can keep working regardless of what kind of room I'm in? Like, if I do end up falling in a pit somehow I'll just deal with the crash/soft lock/whatever happens and restart my console. I don't want to just download someone else's save and bypass everything because I kinda want to go through the game again as its been a long time for me. Every time this happens it just creates this wall I shouldn't have to deal with and sucks my will to continue playing. I'm genuinely baffled as to why these codes work like this. Were they created specifically to turn off in rooms like these in order to avoid crashes? If not then what the hell is going on in the game? Are the characters being swapped out for completely separate versions for the purposes of being able to fall into pits therefore giving the codes nothing to work on because its technically different characters??

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usual reasons for cheats not to work

First in this case
https://web.archive.org/web/20191123185758/https://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_nds.html
Do your cheats have anything there that looks like IF this then that ELSE ignore it? This will be checking to see if something is present (or not) and adjusting accordingly.
You could also tweak it for a health refill if you wanted (press button to set health to max rather than constantly write health).

Beyond that reasons are

0) Too slow
1) Anti cheat
2) Pointers
3) Different health type, usually someone getting in a giant robot if my past experience with such things is anything to go by.

Too slow is much as it sounds. The cheat engine in constant write mode will tend to add on some code to the end of vblank. If the checks on health and damage happen before then, or are separate things entirely, then it might all be over before the health can be written by the cheat engine. Redo the cheat to either be a game mod (rather than change the thing that is checked then you change the check itself) or something else that works -- button activators should be covered on that link, and are not so hard anyway.

Anti cheat would have presumably come up before now so unlikely to be this, though there have been some subtle ones in the past.

Pointers would similarly have come up before now. In the days of old then data was where the programmer put it and while it could be changed on the fly... that is so very annoying to do manually. As computers took more and more of programming annoyances away then it became easier, and beneficial for other things, to be able to allocate memory as it was needed by the program, to keep track of where things are you have pointers that... point the way. The DS has a fair bit of this in more advanced games and a few others besides. Again I would have thought it a thing that cropped up before now.

I already did different health type. I have seen it vary between levels of a substantially similar nature before but that is really rare and it is usually different party members having their own stats or you getting into a vehicle vs being on foot (even if it is more of a story section/minigame).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 5GB for one episode
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol I can watch it free
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it