Homebrew Mame2003+ Compatibility list

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not good in italian language, but if you saiD "None", so ok, thanks, understood... I was just motivated by "MAME 2003 Plus Compatibility list" from first post of this thread, and there nothing about batmanFR in those xls files....
Thanks for new archive with compatibility!
English is available for http://www.progettoemma.net/ . There's a flag on the left to switch language. This website is very helpful.
In the archive I gave, lr-mame2003 (MAME 0.78).xlsx is for Raspberry pi. But if it says 'Doesn't work', high chance it's the same for the Wii.

MAME 2003 Plus Compatibility list is a communtiy effort. It's up to you to test if the game is not there(and in any other compat lists).

Reactions: RunningSnakes

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

hooky1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the compatibility list that me and @mastershoes have been working on these past days.

I think it could be useful to ease things up for users, because games are already divided by cores.
These cores (A, B, C, etc) are the latest @Wiimpathy's mame cores, and those followed by a number (C2, D2 etc) are the alt versions (older revisions) also from the same thread.
The H core is here and I believe it's always Wiimpathy's work, but can't recall exactly where I got it from.:shy:

Tested roms are from the Full Non-Merged MAME_2003-Plus set.

Download MAME 2003 Plus Compatibility list
is there a MAME 0.198 Compatibility list online ?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How can change difficulty in street fighter or others cps game?
You're using MAME2003 to load CPS, when RetroArch-wii has it's own CPS cores?

You need to input a button combo before the game loads to change the options. Button combo is not the same on every game, so search for your particular game.

anyone know where NBA hangtime would fall under? i could test
Midway Game, goes to Midway-Williams Core "C"

Reactions: SaulFabre

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys i whipped up a compatibility text file of my working roms folders by cores. I want to point out that some games will have issues but all (over 1500) will load.

I do use Wiimpathy V3 (RA 1.7.3) F core as my F2 core since it plays vector games much better. I read if you change the aspect ratio it fixes slowdown but have never been successful with alt core F (F2).

Another quick note...Here is a short list of games not working on MAME 2003 Plus, but do work with RA MAME 2000 core...

Assault
Baluba
Burning Force (graphics issue)
Cosmo Gang The Video
Datsun 280 Zzzap
Desert Gun
Dragon Saber
Dyger
F-1 Dream
Finest Hour
Laguna Race
Marvel Land
Mirai Ninja
Mortal Kombat (works better on 2000)
Ordyne (slow)
Phelios (slow)
Rolling Thunder 2
Side Arms Hyper Dyne
Senjyo
Tiger Road
Turtleship
Valkyrie no Densetsu

Attachments

• MAME 2003 PLUS.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 42

fabiobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey guys i whipped up a compatibility text file of my working roms folders by cores. I want to point out that some games will have issues but all (over 1500) will load.

I do use Wiimpathy V3 (RA 1.7.3) F core as my F2 core since it plays vector games much better. I read if you change the aspect ratio it fixes slowdown but have never been successful with alt core F (F2).

Another quick note...Here is a short list of games not working on MAME 2003 Plus, but do work with RA MAME 2000 core...

Assault
Baluba
Cosmo Gang The Video
Datsun 280 Zzzap
Desert Gun
Dragon Saber
Dyger
F-1 Dream
Finest Hour
Laguna Race
Marvel Land
Mirai Ninja
Ordyne (slow)
Phelios (slow)
Rolling Thunder 2
Side Arms Hyper Dyne
Senjyo
Tiger Road
Turtleship
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Hi!
Can you help me understand some things please?
I'm using Retroarch 1.8.9 since I've read online that it was the most stable (especially audio wise).
After that I've tried many games ("MAME 2000 Reference: MAME 0.37b5 ROMs and Samples") by loading them in the Mame 2000 core and while some of them worked, others doesn't seems to work very well, like Konami games especially (they shows corrupted texts and broken audio).

After some googling I've find this post that pointed up to this exact topic.
Now I'm cofused about the whole Mame 2003 thing. I've put the Mame 2003 H core (from OP) into my Retroarch folder on Wii and tried tmnt.zip from the "MAME 2003-Plus Reference: Full Non-Merged Romsets" collection suggested some posts ago.
When I try to load the archive it doesn't even see the Meme 2003 H core in the suggested list of cores.

What I'm doing wrong? I'm reading you are using "Wiimpathy V3 RA", it's a different version of Retroarch?
I will really appreciate a recap on how to run those games on Wii in the best possible way.
Thank you for any help <3

EDIT: I've tried various cores by following your compatibility list, so for example core D for Out Run and I can't even choose the core D since Retroarch (1.8.9) doesn't show me the core when I load a rom, same for the other Wiimpathy cores, I don't get it :/

Last edited by fabiobad,

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Wiimpathy V4 for everything besides core F2 which is V3. I think your issue might be caused by not Hex editing the original cores (Core A - Core G) , to work along with original RetroArch.

Just for test purposes. Create a folder named "retroarch mame" on your desktop and put all the Wiimpathy cores inside the folder along with meta.xml and icon.png. Now create a copy of Core A and rename it "boot.dol", this goes in retroarch mame folder also.

Now drag & drop the "retroarch mame" folder inside your SD/apps folder and place your roms on your SD/roms/mame folder for example. Start your Wii, open Hombrew Channel, find RetroArch MAME app you just created and open. Now you must set up directory paths to find your cores and roms where you have them placed on you SD.

Now load core D, now load content and find outrun.zip. you should be set with OutRun booting up.

Please do these steps and post if you are still having issues.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can you help me understand some things please?
I'm using Retroarch 1.8.9 since I've read online that it was the most stable (especially audio wise).
This doesn't matter at all because Mame2003Plus cores are in version 1.7.6, so when you use those cores it will be using 1.7.6 instead of 1.8.9

After that I've tried many games ("MAME 2000 Reference: MAME 0.37b5 ROMs and Samples") by loading them in the Mame 2000 core and while some of them worked, others doesn't seems to work very well, like Konami games especially (they shows corrupted texts and broken audio).
Konami and SEGA roms are known for garbled graphics and botched audio in Wii's RetroArch Mame2000.

Now I'm cofused about the whole Mame 2003 thing. I've put the Mame 2003 H core (from OP) into my Retroarch folder on Wii and tried tmnt.zip from the "MAME 2003-Plus Reference: Full Non-Merged Romsets" collection suggested some posts ago.
That's because you're trying to load a Konami rom with a CAPCOM Core. Core H is useless because the amount of CAPCOM roms it loads is lower than Mame2000 + CPS1 + CPS2 Cores.
You have to use core E which loads Konami roms.

When I try to load the archive it doesn't even see the Meme 2003 H core in the suggested list of cores.
Some versions of RetroArch breaks compatibility with Mame2003Plus cores. It's like 1.7.6 and random 1.8.x and 1.9.x/1.10.x can't coexist together. Based in personal experience, 1.9.1 is the latest version of RetroArch that can coexist with Mame2003Plus 1.7.6 cores without problems.

Also, very important to have separated ini fles for each core, if you're missing ini files, RetroArch won't display the cores even if they're there.

EDIT: I've tried various cores by following your compatibility list, so for example core D for Out Run and I can't even choose the core D since Retroarch (1.8.9) doesn't show me the core when I load a rom, same for the other Wiimpathy cores, I don't get it :/
Just explained above why.

Refer to these posts:
I think what's happening here is that RetroArch can't understand why there's so many MAME2003 INFO or CORE files at once. So it saves two (the first two I choose to load, discarding the rest)
But that works just once. When I close RetroArch, load it again and try again, it stops working.

It's kind of annoying, but I'm going back to RetroArch 1.9.1, which hasn't given me any troubles.
I think I've found a solution...

I've copied the mame2003_plus.info file, and renamed it to MAME2003-A.info. Then I opened the file with a text editor and modified the "Display Name" to the exact name of the renamed core.
Like so:
View attachment 289911

Did the same with all the remaining cores, and now RetroArch is able to detect the renamed cores.
View attachment 289912

But have in mind that I'm on 1.9.10
I did the same test with 1.9.14 / 1.9.13 / 1.9.12 / 1.9.11 and neither worked for me.

So if you want to try what I did, let me know the outcome of your tests.

I don't have fucking idea of why this is happening, nor what I fucking did (other than what I've explained) but this is was a pain in the ass to figure out.
Just a sidenote, latest RetroArch 1.14 breaks compatibility with random MAME2003 PLUS cores.
Recommended version, 1.9.1 AT MOST.

Last edited by JuanMena,

fabiobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@RunningSnakes @JuanMena Thank you very much for the detailed response!

First thing I've deleted my old Retroarch 1.8.9 app and settings folder from the SD since it was messy anyway.
After that I've picked up the "retroarch-wii" folder from "MAME2003-WII-0.4\apps\" (Wiimpathy V4 core file) and put it on SD.
I've tried OutRun with core D and it works!

Now I want to better understand the whole thing about not being able to see other cores after selecting a game.
I've saw the JuanMena post about modifying the .info files but I don't know where to pick those files in the first place.

I've found this other tutorial:
Retroarch Wiiflow Plugins: independent cores and pixel perfect scanlines

the file you download on point 2 has a lot more files and by going into this folder:
Retroarch Wii - independent cores and pixel perfect scanlines\Retroarch-Wii\info\

I've find a bunch of info files, one of them was "mame2003_plus_libretro.info", so I've put that one into my SD:
SD:\apps\retroarch-wii\info\

Then copied it multiple times and changed the namefiles of them by matching Wiimpathy cores and then changing the inside info as well with a matching "display_name" but it didn't worked, Retroarch still see one core when you load a rom, I've must missed something :'D

retroarch info files.PNG

Since I failed with this, right now I load the appropriate core before and then when loading the rom, the only Mame 2003 core shown is the one I've already loaded and the game work.
I would love to properly run this tho.

Then there is WiiFlow Lite, which I never used before and yesterday I've tried to mess up with it and I've failed as well. I've tried following that "Retroarch Wiiflow Plugins" guide I've posted before and ended up with this (wanted to test just core D since I don't have much space left on SD):

wiiflow test.PNG

But nothing happened when I've clicked on the "plugin" button on the WiiFlow app, so I'm lost. I've picked this version btw:
https://github.com/Fledge68/WiiFlow_Lite/releases/tag/v5.5.3

Thank you again for the previous help and thank you for any extra help you are willing to give me, I really appreciate it :'D

fabiobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@fabiobad

Quick question ❓

Do you have a wad manager set up on your Wii?
Last time I've messed with my Wii was 2010, so the apps I have are from that time and I don't remember anything about them :'D
On sd\apps I have "WAD Manager 1.7" right now, so to avoid doing random stuff I'm just loading Retroarch (and that small WiiFlow test) via che Homebrew Channel every time.

If you tell me that I have to install the channel of WiiFlow to get things right I can try that if I have a clear picture of what to do since I forgot how to do anything on Wii and I'm messing again with it in the last week since I wanted to play some retro games on my old CRT :'D

mcfry666

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Assault
Baluba
Cosmo Gang The Video
Datsun 280 Zzzap
Desert Gun
Dragon Saber
Dyger
F-1 Dream
Finest Hour
Laguna Race
Marvel Land
Mirai Ninja
Ordyne (slow)
Phelios (slow)
Rolling Thunder 2
Side Arms Hyper Dyne
Senjyo
Tiger Road
Turtleship
Valkyrie no Densetsu
I adjusted a script i found somewhere on the forum to sort out
Mame 2003-Plus Reference Full non-merged romsets
based on your compatibility list.
the Linux script seems to skip the mame2000 folder :)
I'm not a pro in bash script so maybe someone else can sort that out.
Maybe it's useful to someone xd

Last edited by mcfry666,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    To sleep perchance to dream!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My state has put a heavy tax on vape juice, taxing any juice with nicotine by the weight/oz. So to get around the bs, my local vape store only sells 0 nicotine vape juices, then they also sell straight nicotine in tiny bottles, and you mix it yourself to your 0% juice, lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, is that Wing from South Park?
    BigOnYa hmmm I wonder how long until someone just vapes the straight nicotine lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was gonna say people are not that dumb, but yea you right, some are.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People have put 50mg salt nic in straight subohm coils which is like more powerful hits
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey psi, do they have dress codes down there in FLa, here there are signs on stores that say "No shirt, no service" but curious bout down yonder
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I tried the salts and too strong for me, I prefer the norm juice
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In Florida they don't serve you if you have clothes on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking raining again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How can you tell, do you see rain drops on top of other rain drops?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can tell by whenever your wife done letting out loud ass moans then I get her a ticket back home
    +1
    @BigOnYa, yeah most places demand clothes and shoes, unless it's some really back water place that I am unaware of lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cool, I got lunch money for tomorrow then.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @K3Nv2 call uremum Sloppenheimer the way she givin me this bomb head
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I call uremum alzheimer she forgets to leave
    +1
    Time to start a vape straight nicotine challenge, Darwin be praised!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine if Hitler had vapes, we promise it's not cyanide it'll help you quit nicotine
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please, walk into my patented vape chamber, aka the non smoking area
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I do wonder how dominate Germany would've been if they just enlisted Jewish people
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They actually enlisted Muslims, seriously, because the Muslims hates Jews, even tho it was not the supreme race. He claimed common hate, is friendship.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He could've just made them walking shields kind of a dumb ass move
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/3km8bqC lol cd level quality I fucking hope so
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around? Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says...