Max wired/wireless speed for Wii U

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quick question I'm trying to get everything in my home wired to my router, through long cables and a series of switches. I'm looking at Ethernet adapters for the Wii U and I'm only seeing 10/100 Mbps USB 2.0? That's pretty slow considering I've got Gigabit internet and the Wii U isn't that old, is that just normal? Is the Wii U's wireless card any better?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wifi is capped at around 15 Mbit/s. LAN is capped at around 30 Mbit/s.
So USB 3 is a waste as it doesn't even max out USB 2.0.

In case you want to go the LAN route (which I would recommend any day over the Wii Us extremely weak WiFi - slow speed isn't the only issue you'll encounter) keep in mind that the Wii U supports one chipset only.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Hayato213 Without even thinking:
  • Better speed.
  • Lower latency.
  • Less jitter.
  • Way, way, way less connection drops (Wii Us WiFi is so god damn weak, the link fails when you just fart too loud).
  • Your neighbour can't hack into your network, no matter how insecure it is.
I bet there are more reasons why a LAN connection is better than WiFi but well, as said this was without even thinking. ;)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Hayato213 Without even thinking:
  • Better speed.
  • Lower latency.
  • Less jitter.
  • Way, way, way less connection drops (Wii Us WiFi is so god damn weak, the link fails when you just fart too loud).
  • Your neighbour can't hack into your network, no matter how insecure it is.
I bet there are more reasons why a LAN connection is better than WiFi but well, as said this was without even thinking. ;)

Not like he can do much with 30 Mbps, if he has a modded wii u, I don't see him needing an ethernet adapter with the eshop shutting down. He just be wasting money.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure why would need the Wii U wired to your network, that is kinda wasting money buying an usb 2.0 to ethernet adapter.
I've got money to waste and wired is always better, I'm also planning on wiring my Wii's too. 2 Wii U's 2 Wii's, all wired.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for that slap in my face... :'(

Beside that lower latency and less jitter is always an advancement in online games (esp. in FPS ones).
Don't worry, I appreciate you bud. Also that's mainly the reason for getting things wired. That and FTP/SMB streaming run significantly better with a physical connection.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't. It was more a joke cause that other guy told eShop is the only thing needing fast speed... And that dude said that to me while I'm the one behind NUSspli... 😅

Sure he be stupid enough to run like 50 feet cable across his house. If he doesn't have patch panels in that room it just looks stupid, unless he has the network switch near the tv, so what you are behind NUSspli, since he is so used to Gigabit speed he wouldn't really like that 30Mbps unless he is installing a lot of games.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sure he be stupid enough to run like 50 feet cable across his house. If he doesn't have patch panels in that room it just looks stupid
Uhm... No? I don't have such panels, too... Cables are behind the feet bars of the floor, going into view behind cupboards and stuff where the switches are in. And yes, I have a switch near my TV. Also the OP said "a series of switches".

so what you are behind NUSspli
I'm the main developer / maintainer of it. So with your previous statement you literally said my baby is useless...

since he is so used to Gigabit speed he wouldn't really like that 30Mbps unless he is installing a lot of games.
Actually it's the exact opposite: Speed doesn't really matter for small downloads...

@OldGnashburg Just ignore this idiot, what you do is damn good... :)
I also won't reply anymore to that dude before this starts to get into a flame war.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Quick question I'm trying to get everything in my home wired to my router, through long cables and a series of switches. I'm looking at Ethernet adapters for the Wii U and I'm only seeing 10/100 Mbps USB 2.0? That's pretty slow considering I've got Gigabit internet and the Wii U isn't that old, is that just normal? Is the Wii U's wireless card any better?
The Wii U is limited to USB 2.0, and the official LAN adapter is only USB 1.1.
It's not common to see 1gbps LAN adapters for USB 2.0, because USB 2.0 is not fast enough to take advantage of it (theoretical maximum 480 mbps, but in practice is much lower).
Additionally, the Wii/Wii U only support specific chipsets for LAN adapters, I think. They might just not be USB 3.0 capable.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm... No? I don't have such panels, too... Cables are behind the feet bars of the floor, going into view behind cupboards and stuff where the switches are in. And yes, I have a switch near my TV. Also the OP said "a series of switches".

I'm the main developer / maintainer of it. So with your previous statement you literally said my baby is useless...

Actually it's the exact opposite: Speed doesn't really matter for small downloads...

I also won't reply anymore to that dude before this starts to get into a flame war.

He didn't said where the switches was placed, sure if it near the TV where he is playing that maybe won't be a problem, what if the network switch was several room down, you think it is reasonable to run a 50-100 feet cable, unless he got patch panel in the wall. Beside he didn't explain what he need to hard wired it for, Wi-Fi is enough for installing games and playing online. What does you being the developer has anything to do with him running long wired, he did said long wire. Not like I use NUSspli.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

NUSspli uses CDN too, it won't work anymore when the eShop servers shut down. Which might not happen yet, but might happen in a year.
Fun fact, "FreeShop for Wii U" aka what NUSspli is was attempted while the Wii U was still current, but was abandoned because the dev figured the Wii U's wifi was too slow making it useless. Your comment reminded me of that.
Well, that was that person's opinion that I don't really agree with, but I will say I sure would rather download games on my PC at 10 times the speed than wait all day for a game to install. Doing it the slow way would be a last resort or reserved for small games, but Wii U games tend to be pretty big.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
On what experience are you basing this information? Cause even Wii CDN is still online these days (just the URL changed as Nintendo deleted the old one "by accident").
They removed all the content from the Wii Shop Channel, not sure if the files are still on CDN though.
That happened about a year after they first disabled purchases, IIRC.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wi-Fi is enough for installing games
And you know that cause
Not like I use NUSspli.

Also
and playing online.
Yea, so much fun when your connection drops in the middle of an online session...

Comeon, stop trolling. That's not funny at all. This was my really last reply to you.

They removed all the content from the Wii Shop Channel, not sure if the files are still on CDN though.
As said: CDN is still online, files are still there. According to Nintendo they just removed the URL "by accident", so Wii Shop Channel can't access the CDN anymore.

was abandoned because the dev figured the Wii U's wifi was too slow making it useless.
Yea, before NUSspli homebrews network speed was god damn slow (like > 1 Mbit/s). I actually broke speed records multiple times (first for homebrews and shortly after NUSspli was downloading even faster than the eShop and other commercial software) and all the fast FTP things and stuff you see these days are based on my work. ;)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
And you know that cause

Also

Yea, so much fun when your connection drops in the middle of an online session...

Comeon, stop trolling. That's not funny at all. This was my really last reply to you.

As said: CDN is still online, files are still there. According to Nintendo they just removed the URL "by accident", so Wii Shop Channel can't access the CDN anymore.

Yea, before NUSspli homebrews network speed was god damn slow (like > 1 Mbit/s). I actually broke speed records multiple times (first for homebrews and shortly after NUSspli was downloading even faster than the eShop and other commercial software) and all the fast FTP things and stuff you see these days are based on my work. ;)
I meant before that, the Shop Channel still worked but the only thing available on there was the Wii U Transfer Tool. You might be right that it's all still on CDN though I don't expect that to last. Maybe I'm just being cynical.

I was not aware it used to be even worse. I admit I never saw the download speed as much of an issue when I was downloading games or bigger updates from eShop, so I didn't really understand what the guy meant, but it makes more sense now.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And you know that cause

Also

Hey question for you, does a Wii U LAN adapter work with the vWii? Does it need to be connected to the back ports or can you connect it to the front ports as well?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, i think its difficult to pinpoint but probably the first two