Hacking MicroSD question

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am about to buy an Acekard 2.1 for my DS lite, and I will be needing an MicroSD card. Would an Japan Kingston be any different than other Kingston cards (Real ones) I buy? I have been told to get the Japanese one, but it seems to be hard to find one.
I am looking on newegg, and an Kingston 4GB costs less than $10, but they doesnt seem like they are made in Japan.

chickenmatt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's a difference, except the language of the package. But, I'd just go out and buy one. Don't have to deal with shipping from Japan.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
What's the deal with Kingstons, seriously? Currently I have two Sandisk cards and one from Lexar, and all of them work just fine in flashcarts.

But anyway, most Kingstons sold overseas are Taiwanese, to get a Japanese you have to either order from Japan or some online shop that specifically sells them. No idea what's the difference either.

Teny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I see. So I should just order whichever Kingston I want from newegg?

The reason why I am going with Kingston is because from what I have seen, Sandisk and Kingston both compete with each other on MicroSD a lot. Seeing how the price is, I can get an Kingston for $9, while I would have to pay $18, which is twice as much. Since they seem to perform fairly the same, I think I will go with the Kingston and save some money. I will happily go with Sandisk since those are the cards I use for my PSP and phone (M2 slot
dry.gif
), but you know, the price.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
IIRC Japanese Kingstons were famous for their "ability" to play Castlevania PoR on original R4 carts without freezes ... most likely due to the fact that the R4 and the team originated from Japan as well.

Pretty much all new carts have much better msd card compatibility though (except I believe Ez-Flash Vi, which had some issues with SDHC cards recently though), so one is not required to buy a Kingston.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
Leonidas said:
IIRC Japanese Kingstons were famous for their "ability" to play Castlevania PoR on original R4 carts without freezes ... most likely due to the fact that the R4 and the team originated from Japan as well.

Pretty much all new carts have much better msd card compatibility though (except I believe Ez-Flash Vi, which had some issues with SDHC cards recently though), so one is not required to buy a Kingston.
The original R4 team were from China I think, like most flashcart makers.

Any known micro SD card make will work. Don't get some cheap knock off though, stick with known brands. I recommend a class 4 or above card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right...