OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MIDI-Jammer
Draw music
[1977]midijammer.PNG

"This is a program I wrote for the Nintendo DS, based off of the DSMI library by 0xtob. To sum it up, it turns your DS into a wireless MIDI Controller. It lets you "draw" musical ideas and shapes in a manner that is both easy to pickup for a non-musician and also consistent/coherent enough that those who are trained musicians can have a high-degree of MIDI control through the interface." Download below.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Homepage

wolfeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phnord said:
Good news science: I just released a new version, and it has a standalone mode where the DS makes the music using the GBA internal synthesizer.

Check it out here at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=3770 or at my website: http://www.andrewbuch.com/prog.php.

-Andrew Buch-
me (at) andrewbuch.com

Very cool Andrew, I've been wondering if someone would come up with a way to make the DS into a bonafide MIDI controller.

I've yet to play with this but I just downloaded the bundle you put together fro Mac/Reason users so I can't wait to fire it up and give it a spin.

I'd love to see some more applications along the same lines. For instance, it would be incredibly useful to be able to trigger your own custom samples from either slot1 or slot2 of the NDS. Samples to be loaded on to any backup device for either slot. I'd also like to see some hacked version of the Jammer and Korg DS programs that give you real MIDI implementation and custom sample playback.

Have you given any thought to trying a Wii version of your program? I've seen some Wiimote-as-MIDI-controller programs out in the wild so the only thing left is to start a band that uses all Nintendo hardware as the instruments
smile.gif

here's one of my compositions, no Nintendo instrumentation, but yours truly on bass
wink.gif

recorded live to 8 tracks:
http://www.liveatthespace.com/archives/wolfeman-demo1.mp3

phnord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you like it, wolfeman. As far as triggering your own samples, you should absolutely check out NitroTracker. It's made by the guy who built the DSMidiWifi library and program I used to create MIDI-Jammer.

It's basically a mostly-fully-functional MOD sequencer for the NDS. If you don't know about MOD files, they're basically like a MIDI file with samples contained within the file itself - so sequence data and samples rolled up into one. They're fairly common in games and chiptunes and whatnot.

In any case, this tracker is great. Not only can you load up .xm files and samples onto your device and play them, but it even goes as far as to allow you to record in your own samples on the go via the DS microphone. It's a great little tool. The latest release has a bunch of new features, some of which are still a bit buggy - but I'd absolutely recommend giving it a go.

I have fooled around a bit with the Wiimote in MIDI contexts - for example, I was using it as a Mod Wheel for a bit with a keyboard I use that doesn't have one. However, it's less functional for something like what I created, because you just don't have nearly the kind of resolution for tilt that you'd need for pitch control. Maybe the Wii Motion plus will change that a bit...

I'll check out your mp3 soon. I'm a bassist too - I'm finishing up at Berklee College of Music this Spring. If you're interested, take a look around my site - I have some performances up there (although mostly I have Film Scoring assignments).

In regards to the Mac files I bundled in, keep in mind that the "Run Me" file is an Applescript that I wrote for a very specific purpose. It basically opens up System Preferences on Mac OS X 10.4 and sets up your Airport card to host a wireless network that the DS can connect to, named "DS". Then you'd have to use a game with Wifi options to go in and change your DS's Wifi settings to connect to the network your computer is now hosting before you can use it.

I basically created it as a short-cut for me, but figured I'd share it anyway. It would probably be much easier if you and your DS were just configured to connect to the same wireless network in your home or whatever.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy!

-Andy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UeJincEpEM