Country
United States
IDaNL said:
what do you think:
scr00111.png

This is really cool !
biggrin.gif

CannonFoddr said:
@ smealum: Still - just a suggestion though... how about on first post you mention which cards it's been tested on so far,
Anyone who has a different card could put their names forward as a BETA tester and when you're ready to release a 'proper' version, you could PM them to try it out on those cards

Also how about a bug list also on the first post, saves people who ARE testing it repeating the same bugs that have been found already
Well the card list isn't necessary. There's no reason for the game not to work on all cards, I only needed testers to have different cards to have a representative view of what I can expect in terms of reading speed on different cards, and that seems to be much more dependent on the SD card being used than the flashcart.
As for a bug list, yeah, I guess that could be useful.

Bmcs said:
I knew i had a big question to make that no one had made.

Smealum, what about sound? Sound of walking in the different areas....sound of braking blocks....sound of placing blocks....etc....

Is that important? No, it's not....

But lets just call it, a "plus" to the game IF it's possible to do....
Yeah, of course there'll be sound, I just haven't gotten around to adding it yet. It really shouldn't be too hard; I just need to find fitting sound effects. (obviously I can't just take the ones in minecraft)

Bmcs said:
EDIT: Here i go again, playing with some textures
laugh.gif

And this one looks damn good..

(i'm just testing some textures to see how the game reacts)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That does look pretty nice.
biggrin.gif
The game should support any texture pack with standard textures size.

junkerde said:
if u no add wifi support, i no support U!
Bah, I can live with that.
tongue.gif
Seriously though, wifi *is* possible, but it would have to be pretty limited... (as in, maps couldn't be bigger than 128*128)

Sir_Voe said:
Seeing that waterfall is pretty exciting. Perhaps if dynamic water ends up being feasible, falling sand will follow. If I had to choose between the two though, water would be a definite winner.
While water is looking like it might be feasible, gravity-affected blocks (ie. sand, gravel) is a definite no go unfortunately; it just couldn't work (nicely) with the way my engine works. :/

IDaNL said:
QUOTE(lucasade @ Aug 5 2011, 07:31 PM)
@Smealum: where do you put testmap.map when running no$gba? It cant see it.
I think you have to have testmap.map compiled in the .nds file, because as far as i know no$gba doen't support filesystem stuff
frown.gif
That's exactly it. All you have to do to get the game to work on no$gba is use a program like ndstools or DSlazy to embed testmap.map into the rom's filesystem.
wink.gif

QUOTE(Kiaku @ Aug 6 2011, 12:27 AM)
I just tried the game out on my R4 with Wood1.34. I really like it, but I've got some recommendations:

- Add more sensitivity for the viewing feature on the touchscreen (enough to perform an easy 180 degree turn)
- Change the jump button to the "L" button
- "B" button to remove
- "X" button to add
- "A" and "B" button to switch between different boxes quickly
- "START" button for the menu
- Support for external rams from slot-2

This way, it'll be easier to navigate the whole map, having the directional pad to move, the touch screen (extra sensitivity) to view, and the L button to jump.
Yeah, don't worry about the control scheme, it's definitely going to change and there'll be options to change it.
As for slot-2 ram, I've also mentioned it already. It's true that it could be a nice way to add new functionality, but since I don't have one, I can't do anything using it. Also, there's the fact that right now cpu power is getting really sparse, so I'm not even sure adding ram would do much good. The only thing that would really help to make new and better stuff would be DSi mode. I think with that it'd definitely be possible to make a (limited) version of Survival, but again, I don't have one so too bad.
tongue.gif

QUOTE(nexus1556 @ Aug 6 2011, 02:28 AM)
Theres A Fat Demo Out Now??
Not yet, sorry.

Anyway, water is looking good.
biggrin.gif

flow.png

I now have a fully working water-spreading algorithm which uses less than 0.5% of the cpu power, which is of course great news.
smile.gif
I still have to figure out a way to limit the water's spread (right now one block can flood entire valleys... it's fun, but it's also a bit problematic since having this much water would drastically reduce the view distance. Also there's the fact that accidentally placing one block of water could ruin an creation, which isn't cool.), and a way to handle it near the edge of the loaded part of the map. So yeah, still thinking about it.
Also, right now it's possible to flood entire cave systems.

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey sme[h/e you spell it]. If by "implement water more dynamically" in your original post, you mean how you could deal with water spreading... you could do a notify kind-of implementation upon the changing of a block, similar to that of what you may be doing with sand (or w/e the block is that falls down if there is nothing below it).

Something like this (psudo code, i have no clue what language this is coded in.)

Code:
public class BlockSpace
{

private BlockType _type = BlockTypes.Empty;
private int[] _position = new int[3];

public void changeType(BlockType type)
{
ÂÂÂÂ_type = type;
ÂÂÂÂif (_type == BlockTypes.Water || _type == BlockTypes.Lava || _type == BlockTypes.Empty) //or any other types that need be notified of changes
ÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂWorld world = World.createWorld(); //Assuming singleton implementation
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂworld.getBlockAt(_position[0]+1, _position[1], _position[2]).notifyBlockUpdate(_position, _type);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂworld.getBlockAt(_position[0]-1, _position[1], _position[2]).notifyBlockUpdate(_position, _type);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ [etc]
ÂÂÂÂ}
}

}

I'm unsure of how processor intensive this is, or how much the DS can handle... but notifying 4 blocks whenever a block is changed doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT: seems in your previous post, that you have fixed this already lol. You could still implement this with gravity effected stuff. Also, in order to limit its spread, simply create multiple "levels" of water. Cut it down by a fraction every time, and if the block next to it that will be spread is of the same height, cut it down by the fraction again... etc.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am too lazy to read through 21 pages of this, but have you considered the possibility of modding support (like LuaCraft or whatever the one the French guy made is called?)

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
I am too lazy to read through 21 pages of this, but have you considered the possibility of modding support (like LuaCraft or whatever the one the French guy made is called?)
it's probable. and its called Lumikha.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
sychotix said:
Hey sme[h/e you spell it]. If by "implement water more dynamically" in your original post, you mean how you could deal with water spreading... you could do a notify kind-of implementation upon the changing of a block, similar to that of what you may be doing with sand (or w/e the block is that falls down if there is nothing below it).

Something like this (psudo code, i have no clue what language this is coded in.)

Code:
public class BlockSpace
{

private BlockType _type = BlockTypes.Empty;
private int[] _position = new int[3];

public void changeType(BlockType type)
{
ÂÂÂÂ_type = type;
ÂÂÂÂif (_type == BlockTypes.Water || _type == BlockTypes.Lava || _type == BlockTypes.Empty) //or any other types that need be notified of changes
ÂÂÂÂ{
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂWorld world = World.createWorld(); //Assuming singleton implementation
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂworld.getBlockAt(_position[0]+1, _position[1], _position[2]).notifyBlockUpdate(_position, _type);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂworld.getBlockAt(_position[0]-1, _position[1], _position[2]).notifyBlockUpdate(_position, _type);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂ [etc]
ÂÂÂÂ}
}

}

I'm unsure of how processor intensive this is, or how much the DS can handle... but notifying 4 blocks whenever a block is changed doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT: seems in your previous post, that you have fixed this already lol. You could still implement this with gravity effected stuff. Also, in order to limit its spread, simply create multiple "levels" of water. Cut it down by a fraction every time, and if the block next to it that will be spread is of the same height, cut it down by the fraction again... etc.
Heh, thanks for the insight.
smile.gif
I actually knew from the start how my spreading process would work, my problems were mostly with how to handle it with map streaming (since, as I said, I can't store any more data in the files than I already am) and how not to make it use too much ram/CPU. Both issues have been addressed however, so no problem.
Unfortunately, I can't really do the same thing for gravity-affected blocks. I mean, I could, but my problem isn't so much with how to make the basic idea work, it's with how to get it to look nice. The way my engine works, I can't make a nice transition for falling blocks; they'd either have to be in one slot or another, but they couldn't be in between. So basically : yes, I can do gravity-affected blocks, but it would look super choppy and I don't think it's worth it.

DroRox said:
I like your graphics over the real Minecrafts!
Thanks.
smile.gif
That's thanks to the awesome textures in eldpack.

QUOTE(Evo.lve @ Aug 6 2011, 03:10 AM)
Unfortunately, it's doubtful. Lumikha (previously named lua craft) is written in lua, which is an interpreted language. So basically, what mods do is they add stuff to the game's source code, but that's only possible because that code's not compiled. Doing something like this in a compiled language like C is of course possible, but it would be quite complicated for little gain, and it would probably be rather resource consuming. So no, I don't plan on adding this.
A more viable option would be for me to just make the game open source once I'm done with it, this way if anyone wants to add something, they'll be able to. However, given the current state of my code (I REALLY need to clean up
tongue.gif
) and the fact that there probably won't be much room for expansion on the DS version anyway, I can't tell when/if that will ever happen.
(also, people would have to be interested in making mods...)

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much done with water. It works, water can now spread if it has room to do so and one can make waterfalls etc. I put a limit on the spread though, not because the system can't handle more (as I said before, it's able to flood entire valleys and caves), but because, well, having an entire area flooded because of a mistake would kinda suck.
tongue.gif

Also, I added an animation to the water's texture to make it look nicer and less static.
smile.gif
No new screenshots though since you couldn't really see any of the new stuff on them, heh.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
smealum said:
Bmcs said:
I knew i had a big question to make that no one had made.
Smealum, what about sound? Sound of walking in the different areas....sound of braking blocks....sound of placing blocks....etc....
Yeah, of course there'll be sound, I just haven't gotten around to adding it yet. It really shouldn't be too hard; I just need to find fitting sound effects. (obviously I can't just take the ones in minecraft)
Well there's quite a few 'royalty free sound effect sites' (like here) on the web where I guess you can get some sounds that sound similar....

Have you decided on the format (e.g. wav,ogg,mp3) & rate (mono/stereo/22khz/44khz etc) or actual size - of sounds you are going to need/use ....
if so perhaps by letting us followers know - we can go out & look (or would that be listen) to such sites for any that 'sound similar' to minecrafts own - & convert them for you

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could do multiple blocks which render to be empty on half, and full of sand on the other, then 2/5ths sand, 3/5ths empty. and simply replay this process as much as you want (or the DS can handle). This probably wouldn't be very effective though unless you can dedicate a separate thread to it, although how "neat" it looks can be fully customized with how many steps in-between you make.

EDIT: You also would only need to create one copy of this block fully dissapearing, as long as you can put put a rotation on how the blocks get rendered (play top animation backwards on bottom block)

Bmcs

Trophies
XP
Country
So, we all agree that the game is going to be awesome and smealum is doing a great job!

But! Me and lucasade want to go further and we came up with the idea of creating a website dedicated to DsCraft, a website providing "Images";"Maps" and "Videos" sharing, for all of us who want to share our creations in DsCraft and also download other people creations. But also a bug tracking system, so that people can expose any bug they find in the game.

We have no intentions, and i repeat, no intentions of using official stuff on the website, we have no intentions of stealing the work of no one...
The decision of making this website came up with the need of a place for all of us to share our creations with other players, and also share images and maps...
We are aware of the fact that this is only a homebrew, however, this is a game that provides the opportunity of sharing gameplay experiences and we will create the website only with that purpose. We don't expect it to be flooded with members, it doesn't have to be, but, lets not forget that, there's a lot of people outside gbatemp that would love to have a DS version of Minecraft, and it's those people we have in mind...

But what we really like to know is wheter you guys like the idea or not....let us know your opinion
wink.gif

At the moment we are still trying to find a good name for the website, we were thinking of DsCraftHQ (HQ= Head Quarters), so, give us your opinion on that too...

FAQ:

Q- Who will host it?
A- Lucasade has free hosting

Q- When the site will be up?
A- We will wait for an official release from smealum, only then we will put the site online

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bmcs said:
So, we all agree that the game is going to be awesome and smealum is doing a great job!

But! Me and lucasade want to go further and we came up with the idea of creating a website dedicated to DsCraft, a website providing "Images";"Maps" and "Videos" sharing, for all of us who want to share our creations in DsCraft and also download other people creations. But also a bug tracking system, so that people can expose any bug they find in the game.

But what we really like to know is wheter you guys like the idea or not....let us know your opinion
wink.gif
Sounds like a good idea - Who will host it though ??

Also IMHO it would only be suitable for bug fixes only to the BETA testers of the latest version available....It's pointless giving a bug list based on the DEMO that some people have - since smealum may've fixed those bugs already

I would think it's best to wait until at least a release is out first before putting up a site dedicated to DSCraft, after all - not everyone has got the original DEMO to even attempt to build stuff

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
People, I need to pick a domain name for the site. What do you think of www.DSCraftHQ ? I haven't decided on what ending yet, but I need to first know what to call the site.

lucasade

m1cr0man
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Well in URLs it'll be all lowercase, so be sure to take that into account. DSCraftHQ looks like, but dscrafthq looks weird.

dscraft.org seems to be free though, and ds-craft.net and .org are both free.
Yeah it will be in lower case, and great to know its free. It will probably be .com or .ie though. Depends on what my webmaster can get cheapest.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
lucasade said:
Rydian said:
Well in URLs it'll be all lowercase, so be sure to take that into account. DSCraftHQ looks like, but dscrafthq looks weird.

dscraft.org seems to be free though, and ds-craft.net and .org are both free.
Yeah it will be in lower case, and great to know its free. It will probably be .com or .ie though. Depends on what my webmaster can get cheapest.
.ie ftw
biggrin.gif

Also do we post bugs we find in here or do we PM them to you?

kelvinzz1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bmcs said:

wink.gif

At the moment we are still trying to find a good name for the website, we were thinking of DsCraftHQ (HQ= Head Quarters), so, give us your opinion on that too...

FAQ:

Q- Who will host it?
A- Lucasade has free hosting

Q- When the site will be up?
A- We will wait for an official release from smealum, only then we will put the site online
i can make videos of dscraft and postit on the website
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff