Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Xenon++ said:
I also wonder about this issue(not problem) and have asked to moonlight. Then it have found out that it is de-fact ban of nds.*.nds for commercial roms. (He also says that he thought of killing extlink when ysloader appeared.)
So I've made a workaround.

So you personally ask him, only to find out that he doesn't support commercial rom loading, and then you decide to go and make a workaround o.0? Sounds pretty mutinous. Unfortunately, I have no doubt people are going to pm you, but hopefully they realize the dangers of mutiny generally mean the end of the captain.
But, at least your workaround makes sense.

@dukemagus: There is no opensource for moonshell2, except for moonshell2.00 version 5 beta which supposedly had an extremely evil error somewhere (never happened to me). I believe fishshell and fairywings have that source.

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Unfortunately, I have no doubt people are going to pm you, but hopefully they realize the dangers of mutiny generally mean the end of the captain.
BTW what do you mean by saying "captain"? Anyway I should not make ndslink public at this time.
### This workaround can still be used even if moonshell2 dropped extlink support. Too bad
wink.gif

QUOTEThere is no opensource for moonshell2, except for moonshell2.00 version 5 beta which supposedly had an extremely evil error somewhere (never happened to me). I believe fishshell and fairywings have that source.
Yeah... I negotiated with moonlight sometimes using moonshell200beta5.7z/plugins/plugin_NDSRom.cpp...
Then it found out that he changed the timing of checking header (possibly nds>3MB uses another plugin to open, so checking header had to be before moving to plugin_*.cpp ?).

Actually moonshell2 is licensed under GNU GPL. But as moonlight is indicted, he decides to send CD to somewhere in Japan. And he says there are only 2 people who has moonshell's source(officially) other than moonlight himself.
Anyway I don't know why he doesn't ask the uploader to delete the source.

### And NDSLink is also GNU GPL. If you PM to me I can tell the DL link which includes the source. Or you can make your own by modifying reset_mse_06b_for_ak2, which launches akmenu4.nds. change it to nds.akaio.nds and so on

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I might be getting an AK2i sometime soon, and I'd be interested in using Normmatt's AKAIO loader for Moonshell. But I'd like to use 2.08, so it'd be cool to use this 'workaround' you made.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this yesterday (strangely enough) and I came up with perhaps the most idiotic way to bypass the blocking, and then thinking today, I'm pretty sure the NDSLink is not only for AK2i xD.

Anyways, here is my wonderfully cumbersome idea xD (its been a boring day). Grabbing all of your semi-important stuff (in my case, its three folders with Games, Media, and Moonshell Skins) and dump them all in a folder instead of in the root (although leaving the Games folder out). Then set the properties of all of the things in the root (apart from the Games folder) to hidden. Then dump your Games folder in the root of your card, making everything a mess. Then in your folder with semi-important stuff, just put the ysmenu.nds there instead of the Games folder. For added effect, make an unchangeable-unless-worked-on-icon that looks like a folder and swap it for your ysmenu's icon, rename your ysmenu.nds to Games, and hide the filetype of usable files on Moonshell2.
Then you have a wonderful "Games" folder that not only looks completely different from moonshell2, but it makes the root of your microSD a mess xD. As a plus, if you use moonshell2 and accidentally go a folder too high, you are screwed unless you use an app like DSOrganize or your computer to change the properties of the folder (or the ini file of moonshell2) so your moonshell2 can see it and you can get in again. Oh, and I guess you could say it has cheat support xD. The only downside is that you get this horrendous icon in the "root" of your moonshell2's filebrowser that could lead to the "plus" mentioned above.

If anybody attempts this, please tell me because my boring existence could use some more laughs.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Xenon++ said:
I also wonder about this issue(not problem) and have asked to moonlight. Then it have found out that it is de-fact ban of nds.*.nds for commercial roms. (He also says that he thought of killing extlink when ysloader appeared.)So I've made a workaround.......
......If you are interested plz PM to me.
I'd just like to add to this - I did PM Xenon++ & he passed on the NDSLink files to me to tryout

After a silly little problem with the .bat file (which Xenon++ helped to fix) - I can confirm that his workaround method does indeed work with my test setup
Moonshell 2.08 + AK2i (with AKAIO 1.5) + 1Gb microSD + nds.akaio.nds loader (note that I've only tried a couple of games [Bomberman & Countdown] but they did run thought MS2.08)

DON'T ask me to pass on the NDSLink files as I don't want to offend Xenon++ - if/when he's reading to make it public I guess he'll put it onto Filetrip
(If he hasn't got a filetrip account - I'm willing to add it on his behalf, but ONLY after he tells me to)

All I need now is some1 to create a AK2i akmenu4.nds that autoloads moonshell without loading AKAIO first (ie fools the Ak2i that 'system files' exist) & I'll be happy

798-Icebird

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
CannonFoddr said:
All I need now is some1 to create a AK2i akmenu4.nds that autoloads moonshell without loading AKAIO first (ie fools the Ak2i that 'system files' exist) & I'll be happy

Yea if some1 could make that it would be awesome
laugh.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmmm... after getting NDSLink working with MS2.08 & having a play around - I can't really see much benefit in running 2.08 over 2.06 (Oh & it does also work on SDHC cards as well)

OK there's simple password protection & a couple of bug fixes (which I've never came across), but since I don't need them I can't see why I should have MS2.08

Also there's a few 'limitations' in using Xenon++ 'ndslink' method
1) You need to place akaio/ysmenu nds loader in the root directory (but this is easily fixed with a *.ini edit)
2) You can't have spaces in your folder names (so '/DS Games/' is out, but '/DSGames/' is OK)
3) To run ROMS in Moonshell you need to run the 'link' files in the '/mshl2wrap/' folder and not the actual ROMS (Incidentally you can change this folder by editing a '*.bat' file)
4) If you add ROM's you need to run 'ndslink' each time

Please Note: I'm not putting 'ndslink' down - just thought I'd let everyone know that it's not a 'all-in-one automatic solution',
so I'd suggest that IF you can live without the new features/bug fixes etc of Moonshell 2.07/2.08 then stick with 2.06 & ysmenu/akaio nds loader method
If you REALLY need to run 2.07/2.08 - then contact Xenon++ for his 'ndslink' files

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course you can use ndslink with not only akaio but also linoul's ysloader.
And please note ndslink is a workaround, not solution.
But ndslink method can be used even after extlink is dropped.

#ndslink.bat fixed. I'll resend PM to those whom I have send broken package.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Xenon++ said:
Of course you can use ndslink with not only akaio but also linoul's ysloader.And please note ndslink is a workaround, not solution.
But ndslink method can be used even after extlink is dropped.

#ndslink.bat fixed. I'll resend PM to those whom I have send broken package.
I can confirm this workaround still works with Moonshell 2.09 on my current setup
[DSi (1.4E) + AK2i (with AKAIO 1.5) + 8Gb Sandisk SDHC) - but there a small problem with the '*.bat' file that needs to be changed
I've informed Xenon++ of this

EDITED: just found out about AKAIO 1.5.1 - I have now tried it with this & ndslink still works

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finally I have decided to put ndslink 0.01b.100102 public.

[EDIT]Moved to http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=208136 (0.09a/0.21)

0.01b.100102
Fixed ndslink.
Now recursive nds search is implemented in ndslink.
Link name is written in UTF8. 2byte issue solved (not tested though).
#You don't have to prepare /mshl2wrap any longer.

Tested with MoonShell 2.09 / AKAIO 1.5.1 / 2564 (LEC book keeping 3rd grade)

### This is a workaround, not solution. Be careful. ###

To install:
1. Put mshl2wrap.ini (and nds.mshl2wrap.nds on your opinion) in /moonshl2/extlink/
2. Put your roms in /nds (can be changed by modifying ndslink.bat.
3. Put nds.mshl2wrap.nds and ndslink.exe/bat in your MicroSD then execute ndslink.bat.

About mshl2wrap.ini:
"hbmode" is what loader should be used for launching real Homebrew.
0==selected loader(in "loader" content) 1==moonshell-hn(experimental) 2==this wrapper itself.
"loader" is loader for commercial roms.

Limitation:
1. To run ROMs in Moonshell you need to run files in the /mshl2wrap folder, not in nds folder.
2. If you add ROMs you need to run ndslink each time.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I See Xenon++ has released 'ndslink' to the public - Just like to add a couple of 'tips'

1) If you are using 'nds.akaio.nds' or 'nds.ysloader.nds' to run ROMS through Moonshell - you need to place them into the root of your memory card UNLESS you alter 'mshl2wrap.ini' as follows
Code:
[mshl2wrap]
;hbmode: 0==selected loader 1==moonshell-hn(experimental) 2==this wrapper itself
hbmode = 0

loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/nds.akaio.nds
;loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/nds.ysloader.nds
;loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/_vh.VeryHugeNDSLoader.nds
;loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/_hn.HugeNDSLoader.nds
You can then leave the akaio and/or ysloader in moonshells 'extlink' folder

2) When in Moonshell - To avoid confusion to whether you run games in '/nds' or to use '/mshl2wrap/' shortcuts add to '/moonshl2/hidepath.ini'
Code:
;Hide nds folder
/nds
This will 'hide' the /nds folder therefore preventing you from accidentally trying to start the ROMS

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you for tips.

CannonFoddr said:
1) If you are using 'nds.akaio.nds' or 'nds.ysloader.nds' to run ROMS through Moonshell - you need to place them into the root of your memory card UNLESS you alter 'mshl2wrap.ini' as follows
Code:
[mshl2wrap]
;hbmode: 0==selected loader 1==moonshell-hn(experimental) 2==this wrapper itself
hbmode = 0

loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK//nds.akaio.nds
;loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK//nds.ysloader.nds
;loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/_vh.VeryHugeNDSLoader.nds
;loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/_hn.HugeNDSLoader.nds
You can then leave the akaio and/or ysloader in moonshells 'extlink' folder
"loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK//nds.akaio.nds" should be "loader = /MOONSHL2/EXTLINK/nds.akaio.nds". extra slash, don't you think?

Actually ini is a configurable thing. So if you want to place loader in /work, you can specifyCODEloader = /work/nds.akaio.nds
and so on.

And the good point is that ndslink will work even after extlink is dropped from moonshell2.
Actually this is the launching chain:
MoonShell2 -> ndslink -> nds.*.nds -> rom
So if you put nds.*.nds in extlink folder, it will be launched twice like this chain:
MoonShell2 -> nds.*.nds -> ndslink -> nds.*.nds -> rom
I don't like to see "loading..." twice so I use former chain.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Xenon++: Thanks for pointing out my '//' mistake - guess I should check my posts before submitting
As for the 'seeing 'Loading...' twice'' - I havn't really noticed that.

Since it still works despite that - I think I'll stick to keeping things neat & keep it in the 'extlink' folder (until moonshine removes it that is)

Xenon++

Taiju Yamada
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It seems license issue is very complicated I think...

ndslink.exe: public domain

mshl2wrap/source/arm7/*: GPL
mshl2wrap/source/arm9/{_console,linkreset_arm9,main,ret_menu9_Gen,setarm9_reg_waitcr}.*: GPL
#SoftReset() in main.c can be used w/o my permission, but plz be careful for other libraries.
mshl2wrap/source/arm9/dldi.*: GPLv2+
mshl2wrap/source/arm9/minIni.*: Apache License 2.0
mshl2wrap/source/arm9/fatx.*: public domain
After all, nds.mshl2wrap.nds(binary) should be licensed under GPLv3+.
#Of course you can use GPLv2 if minIni removed...

I'll fix archive in next release(if I need to).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma. +1