I have cameras in your head!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ok I spent the last day and a half working on a Moonshell skin that resembles the DS Firmware. Yes I'm aware that there is already one out there, but mines quite a bit different.....I think. I never actually tried that skin, so if mine looks a bit like it...Its a coincedence!

Anyways, the primary feature of my skin is the custom boot animation and custom startup sounds. Everything else is rather basic, but should be easy on the eyes.
wink.gif

Here's a preview on what the startup animation will look like (please note that you must have Moonshel v1.71 or greater if you want to use my boot animation)

splashfixedbr5.gif

That gif file is a direct frame by frame copy of what I used, so what you see there is what you get! (except the bottom part of the image will be on the bottom screen of coarse!)

The name of the skin is: DS Moon-Firm

Download Page:(install this FIRST) http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2784

V1.1 Upgrade: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2786

v1.1 Startup/shutdown audio correction pack: http://www.mediafire.com/?o4m374j3mxt (lol just a fancy way of saying I updated the startup sounds to the currect ones)

Don't ask how I made the boot animation, its Level 9 security clearance access only....Just kidding. I simply dumped my DS Firmware into No$GBA and used a screencap program to record the bootup animation from the emulator.

This boot animation was done using only MS-Paint and the skin maker program that goes with Moonshell. I used Ulead GIF Animator to make the preview GIF you see above. And no I didn't just screencap it and animate it. If you look act it carefully, you will notice that i changed the Nintendo logo on the top screen (the one in inside the oval) to read "Moonshell" instead. Due to that fact that part of the image fades in and out during animation, it wasn't a simple and quick editing job. Especially since I only used MS-Paint to edit. I would have edited the bottom screen to read "Ignore the Touch screen to continue" but since that part of the animation only plays during that last part and only displays for a second or less, I didn't see it worth the time to do. (it would have taken awhile!)

Also the startup sounds plays AFTER the boot up screen.Unless someone here knows how to get the startup sound to play DURING the boot up animation, then I'm stuck with it like this. But its only a minor drawback.

Sorry, I don't have screencaps of the theme itself, but the boot screen should be enough to convince you to try it!.

Sorry in advance if my boot up animation is just as annoying as the offical Nintendo version
tongue.gif

Feedback please! ;D

UPDATE:

I have made some improvements to the boot animation. I also fixed a bmp file. This warrented another upload.

V1.1 update package can be found here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2786

Make sure you have installed v1.0 FIRST, before installing this. GIF animation above, has been updated to reflect the improvements in the animation.

Change log:

v1.0 - Skin created

v1.1 -

Removed compression artifacts and deleted a duplicate frame. The video capture software software I used left minor compression artifacts in the animation. The duplicate frame made the animation "appear" to lag abit. I thought it was just Moonshell having trouble with it, but later found that the animation lag was present in the GIF preview file as well. I deleted the duplicate frame and solved the issue.

Made a change to c_text.bmp so that it would look better when used on the bottom screen.

That's about it for now. Unless I find a major flaw somewhere, this should be the last update for this.

To better show what I did the the animation here is the old and new version side by side:

Old Version-->
splashpreviewqz8.gif
splashfixedbr5.gif

D

Deleted User

Great, great job.
I will change my MoonShell skin for the 1st time.
Having sound during the animation would be great!

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!

Yes that would be great, but Moonshell was programmed to play the sound after the animation, so it looks like I'm stuck with it playing afterwords!

The skin should be easy to work with compared to some of the others I came accross. A few skins I've seen looked like they give epileptics a seizure!
biggrin.gif

Not sure if you caught the edits, but I made some improvements, be sure to get the v1.1 files as well.

EDIT:

lol 2 more people replied before I finished posting this! lol

Yes, but I like the screen so I brought it to Moonshell. Please don't kill me!
tongue.gif

You don't have to touch the screen for it to go away, so its not as bad!

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I dig out my old cart, I'll get moonshell again and use this. But could we get at least one more screen, if not it's okay. Just look in the file.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're going to use no$gba to rip graphics, at least remember to set the colour mode to Poppy Bright so they look how they should do on a DS lite screen.

nocashfilteryt4.png

Yeah, the developer Martin defaults his emulator to emulate the DS/GBA quality screen, silly eh?

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
lol I just remembered that I can use Phleon (Moonshell skin previewer) to take snapshots. Sometimes I can miss the most obvious things:

02ei0.jpg

QUOTE said:
If you're going to use no$gba to rip graphics, at least remember to set the colour mode to Poppy Bright so they look how they should do on a DS lite screen.

Oh this affects all my images not just the logo...Screw it, looks good enough for me, it will take too long to fix. So I'm leaving it as is. Just think of it as a brake from the normal. I rather like the softer colors anyway.

Only wish a few other emulators supported running the firmware the way that No$GBA does. There's Loopy's firmware.nds, but the animation was removed from that.
frown.gif

Speaking on that, how can I turn my firmware dump into a NDS file? Loopy managed to do it.

Apache Thunder

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Hm...Its been a few days since I used it....lol it does doesn't it..........................G@^#@#&in^D**# IT!!! lol I could of been using iDeas this whole time!

The only way I'll update the logo now, is if there is a way to rip the animation directly out of the firmware, otherwise I'm done for now.

UPDATE:

Looks like I screwed up and distributed my skin with the WRONG startup/shutdown sounds. So a few of you may be scratching your heads as to why your hearing the startup sound from Vista! lol Well I used a Vista skin as a template to help me figure out what everything does (The original skin was too cryptic to me). I must have copied over the wrong mp3 files when I was putting the rar archive together for upload.

Here is a link to the correct audio files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?o4m374j3mxt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2