Aat_m8

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I have this issue with burning dvds

Basically my wii drive reads burned dvds with no issue but when it comes to verbatim dvd+r 8.5gb it doesn't even spin and i think the problem is with the wii drive chipset (i have a d2b) and I think its too old to read double layer media

What do you guys think I should do? Use another brand? Or get another wii drive with d2e or do chipset?

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Basically my wii drive reads burned dvds with no issue but when it comes to verbatim dvd+r 8.5gb it doesn't even spin and i think the problem is with the wii drive chipset (i have a d2b) and I think its too old to read double layer media

What do you guys think I should do? Use another brand? Or get another wii drive with d2e or do chipset?
While Verbatim is definitely the best brand you can buy in a regular store, I would first recommend DVD-R above DVD+R any day of the week. +R is made of softer material and isn't as accurate when it comes to reading the content.

I have ALWAYS used genuine Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs that I used to buy by the 100-pack. Absolute highest quality you can get for the price, and I never had any problems with them since I started burning discs for my PS2 back in 2005.

I won't use any other brand.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While Verbatim is definitely the best brand you can buy in a regular store, I would first recommend DVD-R above DVD+R any day of the week. +R is made of softer material and isn't as accurate when it comes to reading the content.

I have ALWAYS used genuine Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs that I used to buy by the 100-pack. Absolute highest quality you can get for the price, and I never had any problems with them since I started burning discs for my PS2 back in 2005.

I won't use any other brand.
isn't dvd+r not also a completely different format? i remember back in it's infancy, dvd-r drives couldn't read dvd+r discs, and you needed either dvd+r drives or combo drives to be able to read them. nowadays it's not a problem because everything's a combo drive, but i think the wii predates combo drives, nor would it have one since nintendo didn't expect people to burn their own discs

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would solely avoid DVD+R as mentioned, rewritable discs or low-quality branded media at all times, as the Wii has sometimes troubles reading them correctly, and it also puts too much strain on the laser. Re-adjusting the laser pot trim is one way, but is very risky and could, if improperly done, completely trash your entire drive.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Older drives are known to have issues with DL discs, IIRC Nintendo even had to release a cleaning kit for older models.
The cleaning kit and service repairs were in response to "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" discs not reading correctly on other people's Wiis.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isn't dvd+r not also a completely different format? i remember back in it's infancy, dvd-r drives couldn't read dvd+r discs, and you needed either dvd+r drives or combo drives to be able to read them. nowadays it's not a problem because everything's a combo drive, but i think the wii predates combo drives, nor would it have one since nintendo didn't expect people to burn their own discs
They are completely different materials, when comparing rewritable disc media to non-rewritable. DVD+RW is much softer, which is why they can be rewritten. Although you can never really unburn a disc; it was simply burning off another layer and writing beneath it. Far less stable and less readable by any device.

It might have been a big deal way back in the infancy of DVD burning at home to be able to rewrite a disc, but even back in 2005, you could get a hundred of the best brand of DVD-R for around forty cents a disc.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They are completely different materials, when comparing rewritable disc media to non-rewritable. DVD+RW is much softer, which is why they can be rewritten. Although you can never really unburn a disc; it was simply burning off another layer and writing beneath it. Far less stable and less readable by any device.

It might have been a big deal way back in the infancy of DVD burning at home to be able to rewrite a disc, but even back in 2005, you could get a hundred of the best brand of DVD-R for around forty cents a disc.
i said dvd -/+r, not RW, i think you might've responded to the wrong person

also

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The reason I recall hearing at the time was because SSBB was a DL disc.
True. Because of how large in size the game was, Nintendo decided to cram the data onto a dual-layer disc rather than single-layer.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Did you set the booktype to DVD-ROM? This dramatically improves compatibility with some devices - such as a Wii without modchip.

My Wii runs Verbatim DVD+R DL with no issues via softmod. Some writers allow bitsetting, some don't, some do it automatically (at least for dual layer blanks).

Lens cleaning is a good idea in case of read problems on dual layer discs.
Dual layer = harder to read
Burned media = also a little harder to read

All intact Wii drives must read (original) dual layer games by default - regardless of the chipset.

===========
For those advocating the usage of DVD-R over DVD+R: Finding dual layer DVD-R isn't easy. They never really took of (and have limitations regarding the layer transition). The only ones I found are 8cm mini-DVD for using a camcorder longer without a break.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My Wii runs Verbatim DVD+R DL with no issues via softmod. Some writers allow bitsetting, some don't, some do it automatically (at least for dual layer blanks).
I've heard that you can re-flash the firmware on Lite-On and NEC drives with Liggy and Dee's custom firmware to support bitsetting.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've heard that you can re-flash the firmware on Lite-On and NEC drives with Liggy and Dee's custom firmware to support bitsetting.
Might be the case. I've read that somebody ran into trouble after updating the firmware on a Lite-On which removed the bitsetting ability while providing a downgrade protection. On the other hand a brand new (built 2021) Lite-On I installed a few weeks ago is very cooperative.

Imgburn is often the most recommended application for burning DVD images (we poor end users don't have a RAW mode for DVDs anyway...) There is this a little book symbol in the Imgburn window: This brings up a nice sub-window which allows trying some known commands for various brands (currently available Plextors are in fact Lite-On and react on the commands for Lite-On drives -- trying some of them doesn't hurt).

In some cases there are commands for permanently changing the booktype of and DVD+R to DVD-ROM. Else it must be applied for each new disc.
===========

What is puzzling is that @Aat_m8 stated the drive doesn't even spin up. Normally something like this happens if the laser doesn't see a valid disc at all (Try it in a PlayStation 1 with a CD inserted upside down - spins a second very slow and stops right away when pushing the "lid closed" button).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tl:dr I think dual layer discs are likely the first to go when a drive is failing on the wii. I don't know if age could factor into it, like being unable to play even if new. I doubt that. however, these drives are old as hell. I know my wii drive makes a weird sound whenever I turn on the system, and it seems to have trouble with certain discs, mostly retail ones. I don't really care though, since I own a wiiu.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tl:dr I think dual layer discs are likely the first to go when a drive is failing on the wii. I don't know if age could factor into it, like being unable to play even if new. I doubt that. however, these drives are old as hell. I know my wii drive makes a weird sound whenever I turn on the system, and it seems to have trouble with certain discs, mostly retail ones. I don't really care though, since I own a wiiu.
I have no problems reading DVD-Rs on my chipped Wii, as the drive reads them very smoothly all of the time. But when it comes to DVD+RW media (and here's my speculation) - because the discs uses a thicker layer of polycarbonate as compared to regular DVDs, the drive tends to vibrate and becomes very noisy when reading them.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems reading DVD-Rs on my chipped Wii, as the drive reads them very smoothly all of the time. But when it comes to DVD+RW media (and here's my speculation), because the media uses a thicker layer of polycarbonate as compared to regular DVDs, the drive tends to vibrate and becomes very noisy when reading them.
mine does seem to read most discs, but some it will not read at all, like I don't think it likes my wind waker disc. my issues my stem from simply not using the system. things do seem to go bad if you don't use them or if you use them too much.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is puzzling is that @Aat_m8 stated the drive doesn't even spin up. Normally something like this happens if the laser doesn't see a valid disc at all (Try it in a PlayStation 1 with a CD inserted upside down - spins a second very slow and stops right away when pushing the "lid closed" button).
@KleinesSinchen This could be the result of a failing drive, which happens to all disc-based consoles really. Try cleaning the lens with IPA and Q-Tips, don't put too much pressure on the laser as it is extremely fragile and could break very easily. Another way, as previously mentioned, would be to re-adjust the pot trim to a slightly lower resistance as a last resort. In other words, you only have one shot, and if you overdo it, then congratulations, you've completely fucked up your drive.

If all of this doesn't work out for you, then your only options are to either buy a second-hand drive replacement, which can cost you a lot of money from what I've seen, or a broken Wii to salvage the drive out of.
Post automatically merged:

mine does seem to read most discs, but some it will not read at all, like I don't think it likes my wind waker disc. my issues my stem from simply not using the system. things do seem to go bad if you don't use them or if you use them too much.
@godreborn It all boils down to the drives in general, the lasers in them tends to wear out overtime the more you use the drives often. The same happened to one of my Plextor drives (which I use to rip copy-protected games), one being the PX-760A which for some reason has trouble reading some DVDs.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.😊

Maybe only your Wii´s Laser is old or weak or dirty...?
Needs maybe only a little Cleaning....this "Cleaning Sets" are all....."moderate"....

Last Week I had my BluRay Player reading no more Discs,none,no DVD,no BluRay,no DVD +/- R,
no CD,no BD-R.......nothing...
Tried some of that "Cleaning Sets"......nothing
Opened - cleaned the Drive and the Lense with Alcohol / adjusted the Laser a little (it is only a Samsung PC Drive assembled in an BluRay Player Case.....:rofl:) - tested and re-assembled - works perfect again.

Your Wii is maybe around 16 years "young" in the worst Case...so maybe the Laser needs also a little "Adjustment.

But.....is it really worth the Effort ? You get a naked Wii around 20 - 30 Euros...

Thank you.:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas