GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Domination said:
Yeah and the Christians killed many through the witch hunts and crusades, so should the cross be banned too? And next they'll be claiming Muslims killed many people through terrorist acts and ban the star and crescent? And maybe, they'll ban the hammer and the sickle for all the deaths the communists cost? And also the US flag for all the soldiers dead in all the wars?

Really, this is just hypocritical and discriminatory.

Normally, I enjoy a good volley of semantics, but your logic is out and out flawed, my friend. Neither Christian nor Muslim religion fundamentally teaches hatred and murder of other races, in spite of a few fanatics here and there. Nazism, on the other hand, built its movement upon the foundation of hatred and murder. You really should fucking think before you speak.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TBH they should just ban any show of political or religious belief. EDIT: Just to be safe I better point out I count atheism and humanism as religious beliefs.

GeekyGuy said:
Neither Christian nor Muslim religion fundamentally teaches hatred and murder of other races

A lot of people would argue that they do. Maybe not of different races, but both say at some point it's expected to kill people who don't agree with them. You just have to listen to any argument on gay rights to see them quote some of the relevant sections.

And I know they also say different in other places.

EDIT: Also do you get the symbol from the game? If so then MS should have seen this coming and not allowed it before it went to press.

D

Deleted User

OP
Snorlax said:
Fabis94 said:
If it's that bad, why is it in the game in the first place?
It's not in the game, but it can be created in the game by users using the ingame Emblem Editor (or whatever it's called).
Yes it is, in the zombie mode swastikas are hung all over the place.

Also, what if someone wanted to make a manji, will they get banned too?
?

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
monkat said:
Cool story, bro.

To be honest, I'd prefer that it not matter. I mean...WWII was quite a while ago, with few living people who were old enough to remember it.

*waits to be flamed...sigh...*
Personally, being a Jew with quite a lot of his family "reduced" during WWII, it's kinda hard to forget that symbol, but it's not like I can't deal with it, I am just full of anger when I see it

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
brandonspikes said:
Snorlax said:
Fabis94 said:
It's not in the game, but it can be created in the game by users using the ingame Emblem Editor (or whatever it's called).

On the people you're fighting and on a Nazi building, not as the logo you choose to represent yourself with. If one of the factions was nazis it would be fine to have a swastika armband, but you're fighting as marines and spetsnaz, it's not role play, it's a display of racial hatred. And, surprise surprise, a company doesn't want its paying customers subjected to that. All this "But, but, but..." is being deliberately disingenuous. It's like saying "Why can't I call my clan Cunts? Maybe I just like German footballer Stephan Kuntz. What about the guy whose gamertag is cocktail, cock's a swearword! How come cunt is a bad word and xbox isn't, they're just a collection of four letters, how come I'm allowed to set my location as Scunthorpe, why is that allowed, I don't understand etc etc etc."

Anyone who thought MS's ToS would allow you to run around with a swastika avatar is seriously thick as pigshit, and if they think playing dumb is a legitimate defence then they've got no-one but themselves to blame when they go crying to their parents about getting banned. If you walk into a bar with an Al Quaeda t-shirt or a White Power tattoo, the owner has every right to weigh up if he wants you to stay there and risk pissing off a good proportion of his other paying customers or if he wants to kick you out. That does not mean you are being oppressed or your right to free speech is being curtailed ("Free speech" to some people meaning "I can say whatever I like and no-one is allowed to call me a bigot for it")

D

Deleted User

OP
BlueStar said:
brandonspikes said:
Snorlax said:
Fabis94 said:

On the people you're fighting and on a Nazi building, not as the logo you choose to represent yourself with. If one of the factions was nazis it would be fine to have a swastika armband, but you're fighting as marines and spetsnaz, it's not role play, it's a display of racial hatred. And, surprise surprise, a company doesn't want its paying customers subjected to that. All this "But, but, but..." is being deliberately disingenuous. It's like saying "Why can't I call my clan Cunts? Maybe I just like German footballer Stephan Kuntz. What about the guy whose gamertag is cocktail, cock's a swearword! How come cunt is a bad word and xbox isn't, they're just a collection of four letters, how come I'm allowed to set my location as Scunthorpe, why is that allowed, I don't understand etc etc etc."

Anyone who thought MS's ToS would allow you to run around with a swastika avatar is seriously thick as pigshit, and if they think playing dumb is a legitimate defence then they've got no-one but themselves to blame when they go crying to their parents about getting banned. If you walk into a bar with an Al Quaeda t-shirt or a White Power tattoo, the owner has every right to weigh up if he wants you to stay there and risk pissing off a good proportion of his other paying customers or if he wants to kick you out. That does not mean you are being oppressed or your right to free speech is being curtailed ("Free speech" to some people meaning "I can say whatever I like and no-one is allowed to call me a bigot for it")
Gordon Brown objects to this.

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
tigris said:
Gordon Brown objects to this.

rofl.gif

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
What kinda society do I live in where this is ok? Geez, really? I should be free to have whatever symbol I choose considering yappity yappity yap yao yap...

What kind of society do we live in where idiot children look lightly upon a war that cost the lives of 55 million people?

What sort of inhuman sociopath says things like "well none of you were in WWII" and "WWII was so long ago"? I mean hey, you should be able to use whatever symbol you like, right kids? Who cares if the nazis started a war that led to the deaths of 55 million people. You'll never die in a war or a violent attack, right? No one you know or care about will ever die in a war or in military service, right? You're sure aren't you? You can see the future right? I mean, there's no way your karmic ignorance will come back to haunt you at just the wrong time. I just want to make sure now...

How ignorant do you have to be of history to think this is no big deal? Most of us are Americans, Brits or Europeans. Which means many of our ancestors may have fought and even died in the struggle against the nazis. If you think this is no big deal you should re-evaluate your moral character. And if you have no moral character, well then f*** you.

prince-nazi.jpg

Here's a little inbred piece of garbage who is spitting on the graves of his fellow countrymen. Their brave sacrifice to keep his tiny island free from nazi tyranny means nothing to a piece of garbage like this.

QUOTE(Domination @ Nov 27 2010, 12:18 AM) Yeah and the Christians killed many yap yap yap yap...

Mao Ze-Dong 49-78,000,000
Jozef Stalin 23,000,000
Adolf Hitler 12,000,000
Pol Pot 1,700,000
Kim Il Sung 1,600,000
Benito Mussolini 300,000

Actually atheists have killed more people in this century than Christians have killed in every century combined.

It must be great to be totally ignorant of history and lacking in any shred of morality. I imagine its just like being an animal. I mean seriously, who needs a conscience?

inb4umadbro,nazilovers,appoligists,haters,etc

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess y'all missed my post about the official punishment:
QUOTE said:
Also, the OP has the punishment all wrong. According to the blog on the official website, the most that can be denied to you is a permaban from the Emblem editor, only in rare cases Live. Obviously, these first few are used as examples.

Not to mention there are more than just offensive swastikas floating around.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
tigris said:
what happened to freedom of speech?

I think what people have been saying is that it doesn't really apply because it would fall under hate speech (due to how the symbol has come to be recognised).

For example: If you were walking down the street calling everybody you see a derogatory term and swearing. You'd probably be charged with a breach of public order (or whatever they call it).

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
tigris said:

I think what people have been saying is that it doesn't really apply because it would fall under hate speech (due to how the symbol has come to be recognised).

For example: If you were walking down the street calling everybody you see a derogatory term and swearing. You'd probably be charged with a breach of public order (or whatever they call it).

To be more accurate (as it pertains to US law, anyway), it would likely fall under "fighting words." Most people don't seem to have even a moderate grasp on the whole "freedom of speech" thing in America.

Nonetheless, the swastika does enjoy freedom to be shown within certain contexts, but that's not the point. People seem to think that laws related to freedom of speech somehow supplant the agreement they sign when logging onto XBLA -- they don't -- end of story. You don't like it, you can get online service for gaming somewhere else. You ain't gonna win a legal battle on the matter when MS is doing nothing illegal.

Forget for a second that the swastika is a completely abhorrent symbol. You cannot define XBLA as a service for MS. Just get the fuck over it, people. Go do your racism thing in private, and we'll gladly leave you alone.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
tigris said:
Freedom of speech doesn't apply in a private place. If I come into your house and call your mom a slut, you can tell me to leave. If you post rom links on gbatemp, the people who own the forum can ban you. If you create a swastika as your logo, the people who own the service you play on can remove it.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's kinda messed up that he assumes everyone against this policy doesn't really care about the swastikas original meaning. He says nobody would wear a swastika t-shit, but I, being a buddhist, have a swastika tattoo, because even though it was at one point used as a symbol of evil, it did, and still does, hold great significance to many religions today. I also consider myself an educated human and have to say that I DO look at the swastika and feel that it's twisted meaning SHOULD be ignored. If it was ignored no one would ever be offended by it. It's one thing if someone is using a swastika image from the Nazi Germany era and is in someway clearly disrespecting those whom it might offend, but if it's a religious image and the user isn't screaming death to jews and such, there should be no problem with it. There are plenty of swastikas in the Call of Duty games, how is that different? If just seeing something like that offends you, then you probably shouldn't be playing the game in the first place. The game is rated M, the people playing it should be MATURE enough to handle seeing it just like they do in games, on TV, in books, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: who is lizzo?