Hacking Need Help Modding Wii

GamerzInc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've modded gamecubes in the past, but I'm not to sure if I have the right stuff to mod my Wii. I plan on using a wired installation with Wiikey, so could you let me know if I have the right materials?

15watt soldering iron
.063 clear flux solder
triwing on the way.

Is my soldering iron fine, and would you also recommend thinner solder? And what type of wire would be best to buy?

Thanks.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume that is awg thickness so the solder could be slightly thinner but it should not matter if you have done this before. Is it lead/tin based as the silver/lead replacement stuff is not that nice to work with?

As for wire I like copper based multicore wire with a nice teflon/high grade plastic covering if it is available, others like single core wire though but fatigue is an issue there. People have scrounged cable from a USB device and had that work just as good.

xeorix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Excuse me for the most n00bish question of all times but:
When soldering, should you heat the solder or the place were you should solder (And then move the metal to that point so that it melt from the heat?) Or is this damaging the components?

I've heard different answers to this, what do you say?

GamerzInc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think its best to put solder on the iron then reheat it when you're applying it to the place of conctact. Don't heat the place you're trying to solder.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.  The solder is tin/lead based. Radioshack link  Also, FAST6191, I'm not really having much luck finding wire on radioshack's site.
I'd recommend using kynar (wire wrapping) wire. it's a solid core 30awg (gauge) wire which is very thin and easy to work with when dealing with electronic components of this size.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...ctId=2062640&cp

I'd also recommend this type of solder over the stuff that you have in your link. it's much thinner making it easier to work with.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

I think its best to put solder on the iron then reheat it when you're applying it to the place of conctact.  Don't heat the place you're trying to solder.
no, sorry but you're wrong. you only want to apply a very small amount of solder to the iron's tip to "tin" (prep) it. you want to heat the place and the component that you're trying to solder and then feed a small amount of solder to that point , creating a uniform bond. if you do it the other way around (or move the soldering iron around), chances are you'll end up with cold soldering joint (evident by a dull colour instead of a nice shiny one) which can then come loose after you've re-assembled everything.
http://www.robotstore.com/download/How_to_solder_1.pdf

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2