Hacking Need help with potentially bricked DS-X

Mr Jones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I REALLY wish I would have done more research before purchasing one of these. I unfortunately was looking at badly outdated pages that praised the DS-X, and ConsoleSource was clearing out their stock at 34 bucks each. So I bought one.... Ooops.

So, I put Castlevania - Order of Ecclesia on the DS-X, and tried to run it. It said "cannot read game data, reinsert game card". I do a little searching, and find out about patching the game. I patch the game, and reload it onto the DS-X. it still gave me the "cannot read game data" message, but this time it said "WRITING TO EEPROM, DO NOT TURN OF THE NINTENDO DS." It still didn't load.

This is where it gets bad.

So I try a really early game like Kirby's Canvas Curse. It still is giving me the Castlevania screen that says "cannot read game data..." I then take all the games off of the DS-X, so its pretty much empty, and try putting it back in the DS.

"cannot read game data, reinsert game card".

But... there's no game on the DS-X! Uh oh...

I've reformatted the DS-X, used Ds_Xtreme_updater_v1.2 to update the firmware, and reinstalled the original files onto it. Still gives me the same "cannot read game data..." message.

Is there anything else I can do, or am I screwed?

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mr Jones said:
I REALLY wish I would have done more research before purchasing one of these. I unfortunately was looking at badly outdated pages that praised the DS-X, and ConsoleSource was clearing out their stock at 34 bucks each. So I bought one.... Ooops.Wow. Ouch.
QUOTE(Mr Jones @ Jun 18 2009, 07:01 AM) But... there's no game on the DS-X! Uh oh...
Turn off auto-boot.

Mr Jones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pbolmstedt said:
Wow. Ouch.
I know. I'll be far more wary in the future.
pbolmstedtTurn off auto-boot.
You might have made me a VERY happy man.
I had to look around for a bit (DS-X forums aren't around anymore, so I had to hunt the users guide elsewhere), but I found out how to turn off Auto-Boot. Now... it seems to be working! I've tried some of the older games (I've gotten up to New Super Mario Bros), and everything seems to be working great! Thanks a lot pbolmstedt.

Mr Jones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pbolmstedt said:
MrSpud said:
Hey, a least you didn't spend 140$ and you can still play some older games.

Maybe this will help a little http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/DSX_compatibility_list
Yeah, a few people (me included) still update the list. Many of the newer games actually work =]

I just wanted to say thanks again. I was able to get most of the games that I own like New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, and Advance Wars DS to work. The fact that it isn't a paperweight is cool enough for me.

Granted, games that I wanted to try like GTA, Harry Hatsworth, and Suikoden don't work, but I'm sure there's a patch out there that will fix that.

Er... there IS a patch out there, right?

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mr Jones said:
pbolmstedt said:
MrSpud said:
Hey, a least you didn't spend 140$ and you can still play some older games.

Maybe this will help a little http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/DSX_compatibility_list
Yeah, a few people (me included) still update the list. Many of the newer games actually work =]

I just wanted to say thanks again. I was able to get most of the games that I own like New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, and Advance Wars DS to work. The fact that it isn't a paperweight is cool enough for me.

Granted, games that I wanted to try like GTA, Harry Hatsworth, and Suikoden don't work, but I'm sure there's a patch out there that will fix that.

Er... there IS a patch out there, right?
Hatsworth is untested according to the list. If you by Suikoden mean 3512, it works with the "new ARM7 fix". Check the list, and don't forget to update it after you test something!

Mr Jones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pbolmstedt said:
Hatsworth is untested according to the list. If you by Suikoden mean 3512, it works with the "new ARM7 fix". Check the list, and don't forget to update it after you test something!

I've gone from being sullen, to being VERY happy thus far. Almost everything that I've tried has worked, including Henry Hatsworth, and Suikoden Tierkreis. Someone in another thread had mentioned that he used the Arm7 from Mario Kart DS to patch his games, and its worked on everything. So far, I can vouch that on the 7 games that I've tried, all of them had worked. The WiFi that I tried using on GTA hung at "searching," But that might have been from user error, so I wouldn't rule that out as yet.

I was seriously ready to call this a wash, and toss the DS-X away...

Pbolmstedt, how do I update the list that you mentioned? I'm more than willing to help out - you guys definitely helped me!

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mr Jones said:
pbolmstedt said:

I've gone from being sullen, to being VERY happy thus far. Almost everything that I've tried has worked, including Henry Hatsworth, and Suikoden Tierkreis. Someone in another thread had mentioned that he used the Arm7 from Mario Kart DS to patch his games, and its worked on everything. So far, I can vouch that on the 7 games that I've tried, all of them had worked. The WiFi that I tried using on GTA hung at "searching," But that might have been from user error, so I wouldn't rule that out as yet.

I was seriously ready to call this a wash, and toss the DS-X away...

Pbolmstedt, how do I update the list that you mentioned? I'm more than willing to help out - you guys definitely helped me!
Just click EDIT next to the section you want to edit - or the EDIT button at the very top of the page! Anyone can edit the page and submit their findings from testing. Whenever I test a game, I just go there and put the game in the list as "working" if it works. Don't bother with fancy formatting, I think there's only a dozen people who still use that list.

Don't forget to click the "new ARM7 fix" link on the page. It tells you how to make a mandatory (for new games) patch for DS-X.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    the author has the final aproval
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Canada: America's Russia