Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
OP
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
So I started looking at laptops for college this summer, while I prefer a PC, I'm leaving a Mac as an option as well. I want a mid- to high end.

Some things I'm looking for:

At least Core i5
Internal Optical Drive Preferable (like the HP Envy is nice, but has an external)
Windows 7(given)
6 - 8GB RAM
Dedicated Graphics, or switchable graphics w/ Nvidia Optimus
Decent battery time 4-6 hours.

So anyone have any recommendations?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I assume you need 6+GB of RAM for photoshop or some other heavy image/video editing app. If you want to have a 4-6h battery life, you'd either have to look for a laptop with a mid-ranged GPU or with hybrid power (switching to Intel's GMA HD4500 IGP built into the CPU). Hybrid graphics support tends to raise the price considerably.

First suggestion is Alienware. Dell let you customize it to your needs with a choice of just about every part. Naturally the price escalates too, but you get what you pay for.

Based on a quick internet search, look at some of the high-end Sony VAIO machines like the VPCF11Z1E/BI, or maybe MSI F series (which have that Optimus thing you mentioned that sounds just like hybrid graphics from other manufacturers). The Acer Aspire 8943 may also be worth a look, but it's 18" big and estimated to have a 3h battery life (probably less with the i7 and HD5850 configuration).

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want Macbook Pro then the price will be $2200 for an Intel Core i5 @ 2.4Ghz & 8GB of RAM (no 6GB) but you get a free iPod Touch! At that price, I'd definietly choose a PC considering the economy.

D

Deleted User

Originality said:
I assume you need 6+GB of RAM for photoshop or some other heavy image/video editing app. If you want to have a 4-6h battery life, you'd either have to look for a laptop with a mid-ranged GPU or with hybrid power (switching to Intel's GMA HD4500 IGP built into the CPU). Hybrid graphics support tends to raise the price considerably.

First suggestion is Alienware. Dell let you customize it to your needs with a choice of just about every part. Naturally the price escalates too, but you get what you pay for.

Based on a quick internet search, look at some of the high-end Sony VAIO machines like the VPCF11Z1E/BI, or maybe MSI F series (which have that Optimus thing you mentioned that sounds just like hybrid graphics from other manufacturers). The Acer Aspire 8943 may also be worth a look, but it's 18" big and estimated to have a 3h battery life (probably less with the i7 and HD5850 configuration).

Originality always offers awesome advice
rolleyes.gif
That being said, it'll be impossible to find a decent-great gaming/graphics GPU because the GPU is one of the main components that contributes to power drain. Nvidia-Optimus is indeed switchable graphics, and it does tend to raise the price, but it also does raise the battery life. However, I did come up with some options for you as well. Both have hybrid graphics, an i5-i7, upgradable RAM, etc; which does considerably boost the price; depends on what you think you need!

Code:
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-k42jcb1-p-2752.html
QUOTE said:
* Model: Asus K42JC-B1
* Display: 14" HD LED Glossy (1366x768)
* CPU: Core i5 450M 2.4GHz
* RAM: 4096 MB DDR3 1066MHz
* HDD: 500GB 7200RPM
* CD: Super Multi DVD±R/RW/CDRW
* Wireless: Built In WIFI
Code:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5125-built-clevo-b5100m-p-2840.html
* Model: Sager NP5125 (Built on Clevo B5100M)
* Display: 15.4" HD+ Glossy (1366x768)
* CPU: Intel® Core i5 450M 2.4GHz
* RAM: 4096 MB DDR3 1066MHz
* HDD: 320GB 7200RPM
* CD: DVD±R/RW
* Wireless: Built In WIFI + Bluetooth

There's not really all that much difference between these two laptops; (1) the ASUS K42LC-B1 and the (2) Sager NP5125; the only noticable noticable difference to me is that hte Sager has the capability for a much higher native resolution (1377x768 (ASUS)) versus (1920x1080)(If you choose that upgrade). The other difference is in the choice of GPU at which the Sager is stronger with a 330M in comparison to the 310M on the asus laptop (which is on sale) and ofers USB 3.0 capability (but does that really matter with the number of USB ports?)

The alienware M11x on the otherhand is a nice laptop, it's definitely got a lot of things going for it; but, I for one, am a bit curious how the processors would perform in comparison to a larger laptop. The M11x uses downclocked i5/i7 processors the i5-520UM and the i7-640UM; and I wonder what matters most to you or whether you still deem these i5/i7. They're both overclockable (1.86 and 2.26 respectively)(w/ turboboost) but that raises the question of whether you'd rather have a "true" i5-i7 mobile processor that turbo-boosts to higher frequencies. i5 being dual core, i7 being quad.

The M11x has a lot more longevity/potential with battery life because it too has an integrated graphics/optimus solution (the core2duo version doesn't have this capability). I'm betting that it would last longer than both of the laptops I listed above, and the graphics are stronger, but the processor (may)(others can help you with this) be a bit weaker. You can't via-dell-upgrades, upgrade to 6GB of RAM, if it's something your adament about and you want this laptop, I'd check into seeing whether it's user-upgradable (or whether you can get it shipped and put the ram in yourself. (4gb x 1)(2gb x 1)(etc). It also only has a 160gb base drive unlike the two larger laptops above.

Ultimately, as I said before it comes down to what you think YOU need; you pay a premium for alienware regardless here, but it does offer some benefits (the gpu mainly). On the otherhand, I'm writing to you in the dark on my M15x, with a green glowing keyboard; the other advantage to the other two computers listed above is that aren't nearly as flashy...I feel embarassed sometimes when I take this out when I'm working at school; you can turn the lights off, but the entire design screams "look at me", though the portability is much better with an 11'' laptop I'd imagine.

-/2aven

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
USB3 is a rarity in laptops, but they are slowly starting to emerge with 1 USB3 port. Naturally, USB3 is far superior to USB2 in that it provides 0.9A instead of 0.5A, which can support up to 10x speeds (theoretically). This has yet to be achieved in PCs, but there's still a speed boost over USB2. More often, you'll see eSATA/USB2 mixed ports which are supposed to offer up to 5x speed of normal USB2 (according to MSI).

I played around with the dell upgrades for the m17x earlier and it did offer up to 8GB RAM (2x4GB) at around $250 extra, along with a wide choice of CPUs and GPUs, and even offering a higher resolution screen. By the end of it, it reached around $2300, and I was being reserved. I didn't bother with the M11x, even with its fancy power saving features, because I really don't like such small screens.

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
OP
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll take a look, and see which one is best for my needs.
smile.gif

I definitely prefer a true i5/i7, I have looked at the m11x, the screen is way to small I usually want something around 13" minimum to 15" max.
Thanks again guys.

D

Deleted User

Definitely browse around xoticpc.com and sagernotebook.com

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7110-built-...10m-p-2854.html >>> 17 inch.
i7-620M (2.66-3.33(TurboBoost) dual core w/ HT), 6GB RAM $1200, 1600x900 resolution.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2180-built-...?wconfigure=yes
>>> 15.6'' 1920x1080, Radeon 5650 GPU, i5/i7(QM options)(The newer ones if you so desire) Otherwise the i7-620M is availible as well. 6GB ram $1100

http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1656id5-built...?wconfigure=yes
>>> $1350, 1680x1050, 6GB RAM, 5850 GPU.

i7-620M and i7-720QM upgrades are usually around the same cost. If you talk to the support on this site they'd be willing to shift components around for your order I'm sure if you ask! If you look at the forums you can see for yourself how good their support is.

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just ordered a U30JC (with an i5)

Specs wise:

Core i5 430M (2.26 GHz + turbo)
Windows 7 Pro
4GB DDR3 1066
13.3" screen - 1366x768 resolution
500GB hard drive
Nvidia Optimus (GeForce 310M and Intel GMA HD)
8 cell, 84 Wh battery

Reviews by Anandtech and others say that it can do about 7 hours on light usage, such as web browsing and office, and around 4 hours when the Nvidia card is needed.

I'll report back here when I get my hands on it. I also plan to stick a 2.5" hard drive caddy into where the DVD drive should be.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You never mentioned the price you paid (I've been looking for a similar laptop for a friend). Also, I didn't know they did 8 cell batteries - it's usually 3, 6 or 9 cells (my HP tx2550ea came with 3 AND 6 cell batteries, with obvious differences in size).

Offtopic: Is that 'Tenori Taiga' in the corner of your avatar picture?

seedvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Originality said:
You never mentioned the price you paid (I've been looking for a similar laptop for a friend). Also, I didn't know they did 8 cell batteries - it's usually 3, 6 or 9 cells (my HP tx2550ea came with 3 AND 6 cell batteries, with obvious differences in size).

Paid around CAD $1050 + taxes. It's an 8-cell battery -- sits flush in the unit.

QUOTE(Originality @ Jul 29 2010, 03:51 PM) Offtopic: Is that 'Tenori Taiga' in the corner of your avatar picture?

Yep.
smile.gif

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if this will help or not or even apply to you but a bit of advice, try to buy from the university you're going to. They usually offer plans so that in case you're laptop dies on you, they'll swap the hard drive into a new laptop right away. The plans can cost a bit but if you're laptop does suddenly decide to stop working before a deadline, you'll be able to get a backup.

D

Deleted User

Yeah, that's true, but most people (should)/just keep their major projects on a flash drive these days, then they're accessible more or less anywhere with the right knowledge. Also, it really doesn't take a genius to swap out HDD's I did mine a few months ago and the most trouble I had was just unscrewing the drive out of the bay and swapping it (the bay) before rescrewing everything back in.

IchigoK2031

Wannabe Shirow Miwa...
OP
Trophies
Website
yuukouken.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm not going to college THIS year, but after this year I am, and I haven't gotten a new computer for close to 4 years, so I need a new computer sooner rather than later, and I figure I might as well use it for college.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...