Homebrew NESDS Punch Out - Working!!!!!

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Things like the world title screen is still garbled, and some of the cut screen pics are garbled, but the battle part is now about perfect.

Good work!

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
grog.gif
Great news thanx. Just so much to try out right now, but I will most definitely try this out!

(edit)

This is still one of the best boxing games ever made, and IMHO is still better that any boxing game currently out for the Wii!

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is good news. I actually just played Punch Out!! this weekend in PocketNES.

EDIT: Man, this is great work! Thanks! Now we need to get the PWM sound working so I can hear the crowd go nuts when I knock out Glass Joe in 42 seconds.

nibbles27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quote from Dwedit
"Flubba's trick for PocketNES to simulate Punch Out was deemed to be "bad" and "hacky" by Loopy, so it was never integrated into NesDS.

Punch Out works by the tilemap containing specific tile numbers that tell the mapper to bankswitch to a second set of vrom pages, and can also tell it to switch back to the first set of graphics again.
I think there may be a proper way to do punch out.
Use the GBA windowing feature to split the screen horizontally. Then use an additional background layer. This lets you have up to two vrom switch events per scanline. It would fix Punch Out and Marble Madness, and also probably the mapper 10 games, like fire emblem and famicom wars.

It would take a fair amount of work to add it in though."

I will see what i can do with two mirrors set up for each tile map and hopefully this will fix everything wrong with Punch Out and Marble Maddness etc. (Map 9,10)

Last edited by nibbles27,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Glad I bought a card reader type c and usb A makes life easy
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i download movies on my PC that is connected to my living room tv.
    Monitors are too small for my bad eyesight so I use my main tv and wirelss keyboard and wireless trackball mouse.
    I tried wireless transfer on phone before and yes, it's garbage. lol. So sloooooooooowwwwww.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New south park was not really that funny.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i heard modern south park is too serious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did it hurt your feelings?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Some are still funny, but they always try to use a subject matter related to something going on today.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All you need is one dose of Lizzo to make yourself feel better
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Who tf is lizzo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They always make valid points on that show and it goes over people's heads over sensitivity reasons
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @BigOnYa i mean south park did that way back in the day too
    +2
    remember the Michael Jackson episodes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or blaming the only jew in the show on 9/11 or having the police shoot the only black kid during a school shooting or saying Kanye a gay fish list goes on
    +2
    the gay fish thing was funny as fuck
    +1
    and i don't even follow or care about kanhye
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everytime i hear that real song, i think of that episode, "I'm a Gay fish yal."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So was the way they showed how messed up the American health system was to get anything done
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont watch south park that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Old people driving was a funny one, like cars up on 2nd/3rd floors in houses. Had to shut down old country buffet to stop them.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBpKupfQEKE