Gaming New memory stick really slow?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No it doesn't.

Here's a comparison of an 8Gb Sony Stick for you if that's what you plan on going for, rather than another Sandisk -

2eg8y7s.png

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
The red line is the write speed, right? Thats awful. Ugh I'll get a SanDisk Ultra II from Amazon then. Do they really live up to the 15MB/s transfer speeds thats claimed??

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably not...off hand i can't remember what the write speed limit of the PSP is but as with everything i'd take it with a pinch of salt.

My sticks are all the standard "Blue" Sandisk, and all genuine, but even between them there's a degree of variation. You're going to need a little bit of luck as well as a decent brand...

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
No it doesn't.

Here's a comparison of an 8Gb Sony Stick for you if that's what you plan on going for, rather than another Sandisk -

2eg8y7s.png

What Sony stick do you have? The Pro Duo Mark 2 sticks are way better than those results.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
And you can see the benefit of the boosted write speed from the mark 2 variant in your result. However, the speed that matters (the read) seems to be lower on your stick, and certainly lower than my Sandisk.

Essentially the increased write speed is nice to have but inessential for the PSP to operate. Sandisk sticks are generally agreed to be the best choice for getting good speeds and avoiding fakes.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't find the graph from my Sandisk -- but the read wouldn't even hit 4MB, and the write was abysmal. Same for a Lexar (yeah, I know) stick that I tried as well. I replaced them with the Sony sticks because the increased write speed makes a huge difference when you're putting stuff on the memory stick. I transfer a lot of stuff back and forth, and it was unbearable on the regular Sandisk sticks. Perhaps Sandisk sticks have improved over time, or there are bum batches. That's all I can think of.

The Sandisk Ultra II read speed is rated to be the same as the Mark 2 (10MB read), though the Ultra II reads faster in the tester and on the PC. Using them for actual games though, I've never really noticed any difference between it and the Mark 2. The PSP doesn't take advantage of the faster read or write -- as evidenced by what happens if you stick a Pro-HG Duo HX stick in there.
smile.gif

I still recommend the Ultra II stick overall, because you get the advantage of the great write speed on your PC, and the great read on the PSP. I recommend the Mark 2 most of the time because it's cheaper. I would have recommended the Extreme III over the Ultra II, but I get data corruption with the Extreme III, the same as with the Pro-HG Duo HX.

Meowayne

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Funny, I just sent Amazon a sandisc 8gb stick back because it was awfully slow.

Have now ordered a photofast with 2x8gb sandisc mini sdhc cards... Let's see how that goes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow