Hacking New SDHC 8GB Toshiba brand

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just picked this card up from Sam's Club the other day. I brought home was very happy with it, I finally got a ton of space for homebrew, VC and WiiWare...It started off great. I got some games on there I've been wanting for a while, got all the homebrew apps I could ever need in one spot and so on...

I normally use a forwarded channel for USB Loader GX, the official one to be precise. Never caused any problems at all. One night I transfer some wad's, 2 to be precise, Driift Wiiware and Baseball NES VC. Baseball was small so I waited for it to complete, no problem. I started to transfer Driift but it was bigger so I went off and did something else, to the bathroom to be precise. So ten minutes go by, I come back to check on my system. The screen goes into screen saver mode, as normal. I checked the SD card menu and they were there, no problems yet. I tried to start USB loader GX, goes to "loading" screen and Wii system menu comes back. Now I started to panic, the system update message let me know there was one available, of course I declined, I know better and I am still on 4.1 so it creeps into my mind that it "auto updated" or something. I had HBC 1.0.1 I believe and that would not load any of my apps, I had a blank menu. So naturally I tested a different SD card, and no problems at all. Since its probably a good idea, I updated to HBC 1.0.5 (now to 1.0.6) and it read my 8GB card again. Here's where things get weird.

I can load apps from HBC and games from the SD Channel. I can even load my forwarded channel if I give my card a fresh format. Wad Manager gives me ret = -1, tried 1.4 and 1.5, including 1.5 folder mod. If I load LAN Wad manager I can't even access the network, I get error = ret -1. If my forwarder channel for USB GX doesn't load, I can still load the app from HBC but it will not see my SD until I refresh it on the bottom of the screen. I just formatted the card, added a few new USB loaders, WiiFlow and Configurable USB Loader, downloaded all the covers using Wiiflow and not one of them shows up...they were downloaded I can see them in Windows but they don't show in Wiiflow. I played a few games I put on my HDD, exiting to system menu each time as the new TitleID of HBC doesn't let me go back to it from USB loader GX (maybe an update does?). After about three successful attempts at going in and out of USB Loader GX FROM MY FORWARDER MIND YOU, it now stopped. I transfer a game, the Baseball VC game to be precise, from SD to Wii and then copy back to SD and VOILA my forwarder channel works again!

Maybe I'm wrong and this is a waste of time but I assume that if your SDHC doesn't work it will not work period. Anyone else experience this? Can anyone explain why this is happening? If anyone wants to see a video I can make one, let me know, but this is really annoying! Am I stuck using my 2GB for homebrew and 8GB for Wiiware/VC? Thanks for any help or info provided

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a similar problem with a Kingston MicroSD in a SD Adapter that I did for a friend last week. The card seemed to work with the Wii, like it detected it when I put it in, but I couldn't get any forwarded stuff to work, and when I went into the HBC there was nothing there. What fixed it for me was using the Panasonic Formatter. Seems that some of these cards aren't formatted exactly to spec, and/or windows doesn't do it correctly. Once I used the panny formatter the card worked perfectly. Give it a try, here is the link to dl it.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4003

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you took the SD card out of your computer, did you use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option (assuming Windows)?
If not, that is probably your problem.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I use safely remove. Thanks for the answers I'll give that SDFormatter a go and let you know...I made sure to make my story detailed so you get a clear idea of what was happening. It happened again, this time within WiiFlow...I booted it up, all the covers were there then I tried to change the theme and poof covers gone, no theme...reboot copy the game from SD to Wii and back again, and there it goes it works again.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
VashTS said:
Just picked this card up from Sam's Club the other day. I brought home was very happy with it, I finally got a ton of space for homebrew, VC and WiiWare...It started off great. I got some games on there I've been wanting for a while, got all the homebrew apps I could ever need in one spot and so on...

I normally use a forwarded channel for USB Loader GX, the official one to be precise. Never caused any problems at all. One night I transfer some wad's, 2 to be precise, Driift Wiiware and Baseball NES VC. Baseball was small so I waited for it to complete, no problem. I started to transfer Driift but it was bigger so I went off and did something else, to the bathroom to be precise. So ten minutes go by, I come back to check on my system. The screen goes into screen saver mode, as normal. I checked the SD card menu and they were there, no problems yet. I tried to start USB loader GX, goes to "loading" screen and Wii system menu comes back. Now I started to panic, the system update message let me know there was one available, of course I declined, I know better and I am still on 4.1 so it creeps into my mind that it "auto updated" or something. I had HBC 1.0.1 I believe and that would not load any of my apps, I had a blank menu. So naturally I tested a different SD card, and no problems at all. Since its probably a good idea, I updated to HBC 1.0.5 (now to 1.0.6) and it read my 8GB card again. Here's where things get weird.

I can load apps from HBC and games from the SD Channel. I can even load my forwarded channel if I give my card a fresh format. Wad Manager gives me ret = -1, tried 1.4 and 1.5, including 1.5 folder mod. If I load LAN Wad manager I can't even access the network, I get error = ret -1. If my forwarder channel for USB GX doesn't load, I can still load the app from HBC but it will not see my SD until I refresh it on the bottom of the screen. I just formatted the card, added a few new USB loaders, WiiFlow and Configurable USB Loader, downloaded all the covers using Wiiflow and not one of them shows up...they were downloaded I can see them in Windows but they don't show in Wiiflow. I played a few games I put on my HDD, exiting to system menu each time as the new TitleID of HBC doesn't let me go back to it from USB loader GX (maybe an update does?). After about three successful attempts at going in and out of USB Loader GX FROM MY FORWARDER MIND YOU, it now stopped. I transfer a game, the Baseball VC game to be precise, from SD to Wii and then copy back to SD and VOILA my forwarder channel works again!

Maybe I'm wrong and this is a waste of time but I assume that if your SDHC doesn't work it will not work period. Anyone else experience this? Can anyone explain why this is happening? If anyone wants to see a video I can make one, let me know, but this is really annoying! Am I stuck using my 2GB for homebrew and 8GB for Wiiware/VC? Thanks for any help or info provided

Cool story bro.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upon further investigating I believe it may be a file thats causing this...I obviously have no proof, but I believe its the case...I copied over just apps nothing more and everything played fine, no issues at all, I went back and forth using my forwarder at least 5 times maybe more, I just finished copying over the remaining files, the "private" folder which contains the sd channels, and I'm having problems. I deleted the Baseball game, Driift has been gone as it wasn't that much fun, but it was ok. Upon deletion of the baseball game it worked fine, however I wanted to test further and still same problems, no sd in wiiflow. Maybe I'll delete all VC/Wiiware and see what happens, again thanks for the help

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i did more testing on this subject...have some spare time right now due to being sick

i formatted the card using the panasonic formatter and i put just the apps folder on there with usbloader_gx in it...forwarded no problem, then i put my config file in there, again works fine, all config options loaded...i downloaded all the covers again and it stopped working.

It seems like once it writes to a certain point on the card the homebrew apps stop reading the card...I basically have given up and I think I'll just give the card to my wife for her camera. What really blows is that I went on vacation for 4 days and I come back and my 2GB card that I used to use is gone, my damn cats batted it somewhere and I can't find it!

If anyone has any suggestions here I'd appreciate it greatly, any ideas I can try?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH
    At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in the world
    +1
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in... +1