wiiman123

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Has anyone seen any signs or heard anything about a new system menu coming out anytime soon? Just wondering because Nintendo hasn't updated in a long time which seems a little unusual.

Would love to see some new official features in the system menu other than SDHC support and SD WiiWare support.
hate2.gif
laugh.gif

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If there was there would be an announcement on the front page. There are rumors circulating that there will be a new update with Super Mario Galaxy 2.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HIGHLY DOUBT IT: but if there was a major update coming they might "do a $ony" (removing otherOS) and remove some useful-for-hacking features like disable SD and USB ports.

Fucking $ony c**ts.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
disable SD and USB ports.
Won't happen. They use them for official purposes (SD card menu and Wii Speak come to mind). Besides, all we'd have to do would be install an IOS with the drivers.

QUOTEthey might "do a $ony" (removing otherOS)
You can't remove what was never added. Nintendo never included any support for brew or any other unofficial software. We just re-purposed what was already there.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
techboy said:
QUOTE said:
disable SD and USB ports.
Won't happen. They use them for official purposes (SD card menu and Wii Speak come to mind). Besides, all we'd have to do would be install an IOS with the drivers.

QUOTE said:
they might "do a $ony" (removing otherOS)
You can't remove what was never added. Nintendo never included any support for brew or any other unofficial software. We just re-purposed what was already there.

QUOTE(KiiWii @ May 3 2010, 01:18 AM)
HIGHLY DOUBT IT

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After the hell of a mess that was 4.2, I doubt Ninty will be stupid enough to pursue anti-piracy measures in future firmware...

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For some reason I want to say a boot2v5 will come with whatever update comes next...and it will validate the system menu and its IOS during every boot so we can't patch it
frown.gif
Only thing of concern is the number of bricks caused by boot2v4 update.

Anyway, enough speculation for me. Best thing to do is to wait. Otherwise we'll give Big N more ideas.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would figure they would know everything to do. They shouldn't need anymore ideas. 2 Guesses
Ninty is just being slow on the updates because they have given up.
Or there is a new boot2v5, but is taking them a while to release the update because of worrying about bricking Wii's and that it actually may stop homebrew and everything else for a while.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
they didn't give up look at previously update times, also they had more stuff to fix and "features" to add before, 4.2 was already a "useless" update as in no new features, so they might work on some new feature maybe something like SNEEK for channels only and not the whole NAND?

We can only wait ... and take random guesses!

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OR they are focusing on building really good AP for the next console. Like a few other people in this thread, I think that Nintendo has decided that the Wii is a lost cause.

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Ok, well even if there was a boot2v5 update (which they just wont bother to try to do since their last attempt was sketchy), so even if they do and they find a way to make bootmii uninstallable (which they almost can not do by the way they have setup boot1 to check for certain boot2's in which blocks (there is the possibility of 3 boot2's in block 1-7 and the purpose for that is for backups in case of corruption like during an update)), then as long as there is a way to run unsigned code, then bushing already have a way of being able to write to the eeprom to be able to make it so we can download boot2 and get bootmii back into it.

No matter what nintendo does, there will always be a way around it, or just not ever upgrade.

Nintendo would have to build the wii software from the ground up again to have a chance of an update to cause it to be unhackable. But for them to take such a huge risk where there is a high chance for a brick to happen would be retarted.

So guess what, their anti-homebrew efforts will never win. The wii is owned and always will be.

TT has so many other exploitable things that they have found, but just have not released it because there was no need to. Might as well keep it all secret until it can be useful. Hence why boot2v4 was able to have bootmii installed on it the day after the 4.2 update came out.
All Ninty has to do is delete our homebrew, then fix the System Menu exploits. This would force people to get an infectus to flash homebrew onto the NAND. Even with a vulnerable boot1 if there's no way to run unsigned code there's nothing we could do. Ninty could also patch the IOS used for Indiana Pwns/Smash Stack to check for the exploits.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gameking66 said:
All Ninty has to do is delete our homebrew, then fix the System Menu exploits. This would force people to get an infectus to flash homebrew onto the NAND. Even with a vulnerable boot1 if there's no way to run unsigned code there's nothing we could do. Ninty could also patch the IOS used for Indiana Pwns/Smash Stack to check for the exploits.
Smash Stack?

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
gameking66 said:
Smash Stack?
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/exploits/smash-stack

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont think making the IOS delete smashstack will work out too well. since you can start the IOS, start the game, and get to the screen right before the stage builder before you even insert the sd card. so, they would need to add FAT filesystem code into the IOS, make the IOS mount the sd card, scan the filesystem, determine if a file is indeed not supposed to be there, delete it, then unmount the filesystem and tell the game that the SD card is present and ready to use.

aside from being a lot of work and really inefficient, they would be deleting files off of somebody's personal SD card. aside from being immoral, im sure that in at least some countries, that is flat out illegal. im sure that somewhere there is a law in some country that keeps them from purposefully deleting files from somebody's SD card just because they don't like the content of the file.

I would hope that they would try to add useful features to the system. IDK sure what else they can do, but with all their resources, they can think of something fun to add. maybe a mii hampster-wheel. or a mii-circus.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
@giantpune: Couldn't they block Smash Stack by just patching the bug out of SSBB? Yeah, they haven't done it before, but you could do it via a main.dol patch, right?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they could probably build a main.dol patch into the system menu to patch the dol every time the game was booted. but i think it wont work out too well. there are the virtual console trials on the disc. when you play one of those, you load a different dol. then when the VC trial is over, ( i believe ) it loads the main game dol again. and it will be loaded without their patches. so smashstack should work.

wiiman123

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
All interesting ideas and opinions. I have great faith that the community can over come anything a new system menu throws out.

Plus theres always the option of not updating.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Hate double posting, but this is a seperate thought from my last one.

If nintendo really wanted to, they could easily allow USB loading of their games in an official way. That could be the only thing that they could do to up the ante and not make so many legal homebrew people go to the dark side just to easily get what they legally own. That way they could compete for the need of usb loaders and if that was available there would be many less people running homebrew. But if they did that, the hackers would come out and reverse engineer it and make it useful for pirates while still being ever so slightly semi official.

even if they did that you would still be required to have the disc inserted on boot up, otherwise you could rip a game and sell it again or lend it and return it after you installed it to USB.
Pretty much like on the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still don't know why he left unless someone really hurt his feelings
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why people get so emotional online just get over it ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He was the ass of gbatemp, everyone knocked on him, I honestly felt bad, even though I was guilty myself, but he egged it all on himself,
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But he still here, but under dif name, he pm me sometimes still even.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's like they think we'll be in their bed pissing on it the next day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like gbatemp should make t-shirts or memorabilia to remember the lost ones. I bet the Polly shirts would sell out quick.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah that could actually bring lawsuits
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tempsuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    PollySuits
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your correct, Somebody would be guilty and there would be riots, then they storm the gbatemp capitol,
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Online or not there are still certain rights that judges would have no issue handing out a warrant over
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just look at Kim dotcom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Honestly I'm scared to, from you, but ok, lemme turn on vpn, virtual machine, private browser first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Remember that Alexa robot I gifted you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And that laptop Webcam you never tapped up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That robot is here somewhere, I hear it moving around at night, but I haven't seen it for months.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh that laptop I give to ancientboi, so you been watching him for months, and he's been watching you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good more than enough material for the fbi
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn its 5 in morn, I gotta Go wake your mum and send her to work. Check ya later.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He could make so much money!!! His arm would never get tired lol
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    How are yall doing
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are yall doing +1