Hacking New theme for R4

Dunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Made this a while ago, thought someone might like it. Tidied it up this afternoon.

Here's a preview:

Preview.png

And the theme itself can be found here:

http://paul.dunn.googlepages.com/Amiga-MWB.rar

It just replaces one of your current themes - I'm sure you all know how to do this by now.

Cheers!

D.

Dunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll not hate you - but if you have any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

They're original MWB icons, I don't see how they can be any better than that!

D.

Scathraax

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I like it.
It looks nice, and emulates the older computer feel quite well.

However, the top screen is a bit weird. Having a full window instead of a small section visible would have been better.
wink.gif

Kingfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, its ugly but for what you are trying to do it is okay. After all old computers had uglyass interfaces.

Dunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kingfield said:
Well, its ugly but for what you are trying to do it is okay. After all old computers had uglyass interfaces.

Yeah, that's the whole point. I'm all for re-arranging stuff (considering extending the "window" on the top screen down to the icons at the bottom screen, to make the whole two-screen affair more like a "workbench"), but the icons and backgrounds/colours etc have to stay - if I changed those, they'd not be Amiga, would they?
smile.gif

It's been very well received on other forums which are more dedicated to retro-gaming, so I'm happy to leave it as it is.

I'm working on a few more themes now featuring various Spectrum games - Sabre Wulf, JSW/MM, Starquake etc. I suspect they'll not go down very well in these parts, as all the graphics are monochrome(ish)
smile.gif

D.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, presenting old-school computer theme in future-millenium-like world is not a good idea, they're not supposed to be remembered considering their ugly appearance.

just 6/10, sorry.

Why not try to make theme of famous games? Like Prof Layton or something, that will do alot.

Dunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Raestloz said:
Well, presenting old-school computer theme in future-millenium-like world is not a good idea, they're not supposed to be remembered considering their ugly appearance.

But it's MagicWB! One of the most gorgeous enhancements to the Amiga UI that was ever created. Each icon and background meticulously hand-drawn. I dunno, kids these days have no idea :-)

The AmigaOS was ahead of it's time; even now Windows can only dream of having multitasking as smooth as the Amiga enjoyed. And as it was a unix-variant, the command line was ridiculously more powerful than DOS ever was, or the Windows command line is even now.

QUOTE said:
just 6/10, sorry.

Why not try to make theme of famous games? Like Prof Layton or something, that will do alot.

I already am:
Dunny
I'm working on a few more themes now featuring various Spectrum games - Sabre Wulf, JSW/MM, Starquake etc. I suspect they'll not go down very well in these parts, as all the graphics are monochrome(ish) :-)

There's none more famous than the Speccy greats of the day!

D.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dunny - don't take any of these criticisms personally. Most of these youngin's have never seen the Amiga Workbench (running on the first widely used multitasking OS).
lecture.gif
This'll probably only appeal to die-hard Ami fans.

Dunny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
matriculated said:
Dunny - don't take any of these criticisms personally.

I'm not - it's to be expected (especially on here) that 90% of the posters wouldn't have used an Amiga back in the day, and of those that did, not a great proportion will have an R4. I'm just trying to get across what they missed out on :-)

QUOTEMost of these youngin's have never seen the Amiga Workbench (running on the first widely used multitasking OS).
lecture.gif
This'll probably only appeal to die-hard Ami fans.

Yeah. As I said, it went down better at more retro-orientated forums which also deal with the R4. I'm expecting my R4 ZXSpectrum themes to get even worse feedback on here :-)

Might do some Amiga games-related themes too... Have to decide which ones though!

D.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So oldies wanna keep old memories alive huh?
cool.gif

Well, no offense, I've to admit I don't even know something named Amiga ever existed, but you have to admit, those are ugly to young'in standards:glare:

And I've never heard those Sabrewulf or something too, are they very famous?

Like Rikku said:
"Memories are nice, but that's all they are" Let's lock the history deep in our heart and engage the new future.

Still, good luck for your theme.
wink.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I'm old enough to appreciate it, so I like it
biggrin.gif

Hmm, might make a rival Atari ST GEM skin... Although it would probably be even less pleasing to the eyes

tosfolderskb6.png

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So, that's how old PCs look like? Knowing the past is pretty fun too.

Btw, what's that CARTRIDGE(sorry, it's capital in the picture, I'm not trying to flame or something) for? Is it a folder or a hard drive?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
The Atari ST and Amiga weren't PCs, they were different formats to the IBM Compatibles which became modern PCs.

I guess the cartridge drive there was to access something inserted in the cartridge slot of the ST, probably a harddrive. I never had anything to put in that slot myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon: anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator is bad in my book, i...