Not open for further replies.

jacent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm Gonna Guess that they implement something in the 3ds firmware that when a flashcard is inserted in it, it overwrites the flash on the flashcard that damages the card where it can't be fixed. and can't be used anymore. it could also have a database stored for all ds titles and checks for original game data and header/signature and check if it's a genuine card by the game data on the card and the crc32 checksum of the card. and the database is updated through online system updates to play new games or when
inserting new 3ds games and I already know they are made a Japanese game that damaged some flashcards when running as a rom on flashcards. I can't remember the game
name
just a theory tell me what you think?

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
jacent said:
I'm Gonna Guess that they implement something in the 3ds firmware that when a flashcard is inserted in it, it overwrites the flash on the flashcard that damages the card where it can't be fixed. and can't be used anymore. it could also have a database stored for all ds titles and checks for original game data and header/signature and check if it's a genuine card by the game data on the card and the crc32 checksum of the card. and the database is updated through online system updates to play new games or when
inserting new 3ds games and I already know they are made a Japanese game that damaged some flashcards when running as a rom on flashcards. I can't remember the game
name
just a theory tell me what you think?

DS Carts = Not rewritable.

jacent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm talking about ds flash carts not original carts original carts are checked by database on 3ds system software updates not original cards rewritten to.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Mehh, I dunno. Knowing Nintendo, I don't think they'd go through the trouble. We've all seen the lousy patch jobs they've done with the Wii's exploits, haha

Soooo, they'd probably just block it. But once again, that's just me.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted-247497

yeah doubt this, honestly the way to make people not mod is to make updates that have useful stuff, if there are pretty steady updates, i probably wont mod.

silentdoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't you think that Nintendo might make use of the "always on" wireless feature of the 3DS to update and check for a flashcart? It would be simple enough for the device to simply run a check with a server when in the area of a wifi hotspot, constantly updating software without the user's knowledge

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I wouldn't mind if it worked like steam- the having to be on internet 24/7 to play part....

D

Deleted_171835

Fear Zoa said:
Honestly I wouldn't mind if it worked like steam- the having to be on internet 24/7 to play part....
You wouldn't mind but others would.
Not everybody has a Wi-Fi connection. Steam's service works because many people have an always-on internet connection.

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I kinda like this thread... Although It would be better if we focus in getting the system free rather than cracking games, cus I really would like to see emulators and media players for those specs the 3DS has.

Neway... Lets study 3ds before its even born

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Well I for one just got a decent Wi-Fi connection like 3 years ago cuz before there wasn't that kinda stuff here. And it's not like this is a poor country! Not US-like, but pretty decent nontheless. Now imagine about poor countries. THEY'd have a problem with a Steam-like service xD

Anyway, my guess is that they'll build pretty strong security on the 3DS hardware (they talk about security too much to not do anything) and if that ever gets broken they'll go with the Wii way and release patches periodically. Or, they'll go with software security and have an ever updating system menu (you know how antiviruses update their virus definitions daily? Well the system menu would update its security protocols daily too).

Just a guess tho.

D

Deleted_171835

davidsl_128 said:
Well I for one just got a decent Wi-Fi connection like 3 years ago cuz before there wasn't that kinda stuff here. And it's not like this is a poor country! Not US-like, but pretty decent nontheless. Now imagine about poor countries. THEY'd have a problem with a Steam-like service.
None of this has to do with being poor or living in a poor country. Not everybody has a Wi-Fi connection.
GBAtemp's CannonFoddr only just recently got a router.

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The DSi mode hasn't been cracked yet. I think it's gonna take some time 'till the 3DS is open for homebrew stuff, but i believe that we will see newer flashcarts that are capable of running DS backups and homebrew on the 3DS (on DS mode, of course).

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They would probably continue with an enhanced DSi security, something we haven't cracked yet and It seems they are very happy about it. Iwata said that 3D could be turned off easily, so in my opinion its like 3DS Roms not being able to recognize a 3DS system with the current flashcards.

So for example lets say the third pokemon game of the upcoming generetion -(black / white) i dunno maybe gray?- would be DS compatible with 3D functions, it could work in DS mode in a 3DS with current flashcards if they dont block danny phantom

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
Fear Zoa said:
You wouldn't mind but others would.
Not everybody has a Wi-Fi connection. Steam's service works because many people have an always-on internet connection.
That would be sick but WASTE of battery life. The 3D screens probably use enough power, then the power of the 3DS, then always online.

The power would be worse than the PSP's.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sachka said:
I kinda like this thread... Although It would be better if we focus in getting the system free rather than cracking games, cus I really would like to see emulators and media players for those specs the 3DS has.

Neway... Lets study 3ds before its even born
I agree with this guy. Instead of wanting to pirating the 3DS's games, why lets see what other games can be emulated, as well as what other features we can put into the 3DS itself, like custom firmware, added functionalities, etc. We all know that the 3DS will EVENTUALLY be hacked for piracy, but I think we should hack it for other reasons besides finding a way to keep money in your pocket, like people used to do back in the day.

Just think of what other things could be accomplished if we hacked it for besides piracy. Lets think inside the box, not inside the cart.
smile.gif

P.S. Although, piracy could be an added bonus for me. ;p
tongue.gif

Reactions: Margen67

BadBloke

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiintendogr.com
XP
Country
Greece
I agree. Piracy is inevitable, but I would be really intrested in homebrew apps for the 3DS. Makes me wonder why doesn't N include all we need in their official fw. Stuff like Media Players, Internet Browser, VOIP and Messengers. Then there wouldn't be any need for hacks in the first place (well, except for the emulators, but then again, get a dingoo and be done with it
tongue.gif
).

I totally disagree with the guessing of the OP. Not only all methods that are mentioned are ineffective but also there is absolutely no point in "guessing" stuff like this. You never know what the manufacturers/developers are up to. Just wait and see.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think (at least I do so) that developers like to create homebrew apps, homebrew games, etc. in 3D.
It's something new to experience.

Besides I don't think Nintendo can accomplish so many apps on 3DS, that homebrew would be essential.
But that might be because I like homebrew, and love to see the new way of 3D homebrew. heh

As for the piracy, I will buy good titles for the 3DS, but still, collecting money takes to long. So I rather pirate the games in meanwhile.
Also I want to get a 38" FullHD TV, for my Wii(component)/PS3(component/hdmi) and ofcourse larger screen size.

And this second PS3 Slim 250GB Platium pack (dirt2 n uncharted2, in meanwhile the packs will be different).
Why? Because I refuse to update my 60GB(320gb) Phat Pal PS3 from 3.15. I did like to see the powerfull homebrew, and piracy on that thing.

The games cost way to much, and most games are ports from 360 which make the games not use full power/blu ray abilities. And decrease graphics in o.a RDR.
(Not that RDR is my game, but its a example.)

Just my 50cents.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems I remember reading something about protection on the carts themselves as one form of protection. Some kind of encryption chip to prevent people from being able to easily dump the ROMs. Which could lead to hackers having to hardware mod the carts (read: destroy them) just to dump them.
They were saying something about that kind of deal a couple years ago.

Then, there's likely to be a hyper-visor on the 3DS that will sort of watch over the system for attempted breaches in security.

And all that will be over top of the DSi's security methods that will also be utilized.

But I don't know anything for sure......just talking out of my ass.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Seems I remember reading something about protection on the carts themselves as one form of protection. Some kind of encryption chip to prevent people from being able to easily dump the ROMs. Which could lead to hackers having to hardware mod the carts (read: destroy them) just to dump them.
They were saying something about that kind of deal a couple years ago.

Then, there's likely to be a hyper-visor on the 3DS that will sort of watch over the system for attempted breaches in security.

And all that will be over top of the DSi's security methods that will also be utilized.

But I don't know anything for sure......just talking out of my ass.
Or it could just be the security features that the dsi had along with the extra feature or features that the Dsi ll or xl had, along with an revised version of 1.4 FW. IDK it seems to me like they are talking out of their ass when it comes to their security. Even though they see piracy as a big problem, my first thought is that they're taking the "if it aint broken, yet, then why fix it" approach.

And besides, wasnt it hacked a couple days after its japan release by that "Yasu" person but he didnt want to release it publicly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran