Nintendo announces that it will skip E3 2023

asdsa,l;vf.png

E3 is making its grand return to Los Angeles, but Nintendo is not going to be a part of that. Sony and Microsoft have already announced that they have no plans to be at this year's E3, and now Nintendo will join them in skipping the event. This will mark the first time that Nintendo has pulled out of E3, after having attended every year since 1995, where they used the event to showcase the Virtual Boy. Whether or not Nintendo will have its own separate summer Direct in order to compensate was not made clear. For now, the biggest name attached to E3 2023 is Ubisoft.

E3 is undergoing a transformation from its 2019 iteration based on exhibitor and fan feedback. A collaborative process such as this, with so many stakeholders, takes time. ReedPop remains committed to delivering the best show possible and is excited to share more information on show format and the fantastic exhibitors taking part in the near future.

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gasp. shooketh.

anyway.

the nintendo direct should be good. wonder if they'll announce any new switch follow-up plans.

E4 needs to pivot to indie only or game tech or something

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most likely E3 are costing the big 3 more money than its worth or they don't have anything that are ready to be shown at E3 so they pulled out. Besides, the big 3 have their own way to announce whatever they have that are upcoming on whichever date they choose.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh, I can't blame nintendo for bailing out after microsoft finally did. while the big 3 may be competition to each other them all being in the same space at the same time brough attention to each other. sad to see E3 is finally dead

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Genuinely sad to see E3 floundering this hard. It was a magical experience to go back when it was media-exclusive. GBAtemp has a media pass to attend for 2023...but I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to go...?
I feel there isn't really any replacement though. CES maybe but kinda loses that dedicated feeling.

How do those passes work btw? I used to newspost on a now defunct competition site and the only time that was talked about was after I attended a Naughty Dog talk, but was after the fact so I never attended anything with a media badge.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel there isn't really any replacement though. CES maybe but kinda loses that dedicated feeling.

How do those passes work btw? I used to newspost on a now defunct competition site and the only time that was talked about was after I attended a Naughty Dog talk, but was after the fact so I never attended anything with a media badge.
There are three different "parts" to E3: the press conferences, the show floor, and the meetings. The badge you apply for needs you to be a reporter in some capacity, and the site needs to have a certain minimum threshold of MUV. That badge you get from that will let you onto the show floor, aka where all the booths are to play the games. In the old days, you could get around pretty easy, because there were a lot of people, but it wasn't impossibly congested to queue for demos. After they opened it to the public, it was like trying to get on a Disneyland ride in peak summer. They'd have company reps waving signs saying "YAKUZA DEMO WAIT TIMEl 4 HOURS!"

The second part is all the meetings. These take place either in rooms off the main floor, at restaurants across the street from E3 entirely, or on the show floor, but in a special line. When I got invited to Nintendo's booth for media, it was just where a bunch of people were chilling out, passing out snacks, and getting exclusive hands on time with the big games--BOTW, Odyssey, Smash, etc. I remember Charles Martinet and Miyamoto just milling about, and being sorta shocked that I was mere steps away from them. I wish I would have had the guts to ask for an autograph. All those meetings require a LOT of finessing though, like having good contacts with PR, chasing after interview slots, stuff like that. But that's the best part of E3, hands down. You don't just get given those, though, unless you're like, IGN I guess.

Then there's the press conferences, which are the big showcases--really the only thing of E3 that the public sees? Those, too, are really hard to get into, and are basically fancy lounges where they serve alcohol and meals. I know I wasn't allowed to attend Sony's showcase because there was so much alcohol involved, and I was <21 at the time. They're basically gigantic movie theaters, and you get to see the Direct/Showcase about 10 minutes earlier than Twitch/Youtube because of stream delay. I know some of the things I updated in the live news docs were ahead of the broadcasts online, back when I went to Bethesda's.

Having JUST a media badge, even at the peak of E3, really didn't do much. And obviously no one is around to explain any of it, you kinda gotta wing it and learn by mistakes. It's all about who you know, making connections, and getting your way to the exclusive stuff.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never been a better time for a rayman annoucment
I'd love Rayman 4 console/PC full version and the GBA/DS games of Rayman Raving Rabbids remastered in HD.

The GBA game still looks wonderful and the DS is reminiscent of Rayman 2.

GBA

DS

Rayman 4 technically exists under a different name so Ubisoft didn't completely kill R4 off. 😄 However, if they remastered it could be filled up with micro transactions. 😕

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Yeah, nothing E3 can accomplish that can't be done with a 30 mins review Youtube video so it time for it to go. It way cheaper to send the journelist your game demo instead.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, nothing E3 can accomplish that can't be done with a 30 mins review Youtube video so it time for it to go. It way cheaper to send the journelist your game demo instead.
E3 ruined itself with the decisions they made.

A new E3-type event where they'd cater to the audience than corporations that would be great, but don't see it happening.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
E3 ruined itself with the decisions they made.

A new E3-type event where they'd cater to the audience than corporations that would be great, but don't see it happening.
I wish it can become something like a comicon or comiket, a event for fan to gather and selling fan made stuff or indie developer show off and sell merchadise. Make it an elite event for only journelist to show off big company game is a mistake to begin with.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY